FAMU band suspended for 2012-2013 school year

How in the Hell can you have 101 members of your band, not be students of your University???

WTH??? Hey Jimmie Joe and Little Moe, y'all want to tote a horn and beat a drum? Come on, we got a uniform for you...... smh!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I honestly think they started feeling the pressure of competing with Bethune Cookman. Bethune came out of nowhere in 98 or 99.. built up size and quality and is starting to overtake FAMU in popularity. Every year we heard "We are bigger" from FAMU.. now we see why.

I honestly think they started feeling the pressure of competing with Bethune Cookman. Bethune came out of nowhere in 98 or 99.. built up size and quality and is starting to overtake FAMU in popularity. Every year we heard "We are bigger" from FAMU.. now we see why.

Bruh, it's makes you wonder if BCU band are all current students ........... hmmmmm???

FAMU had been doing this for years. I know cats who marched in the 85,86, 87, 87, 89 that went to high school with me who I know dam well that didn't go to school at FAMU and marched with them. There are a bunch of HBCU bands who allowed this, but it it what it is. The young generation has messed up things as usual.

so since the 80's Famu has never had anyone check the enrollment status of its bandmembers???

Im just trying to understand the many dynamics of something like that being allowed to happen for such a long period of time..wow

TruBlu,

This doesn't mean 101 members of the band are going to be suspended from school. It just means the band is suspended from performing next season. One of the nicknames of the FAMU Band is the Famed Marching 101.

I guess it means they won't be at the John Meritt or Atlantic Classic either.

It could hurt attendence.

TruBlu,

This doesn't mean 101 members of the band are going to be suspended from school. It just means the band is suspended from performing next season. One of the nicknames of the FAMU Band is the Famed Marching 101.

Thames,

The article in the AJC stated that: "The band has been banned from performing since soon after he died, and band director Julian White recently retired after it was revealed that at least 100 band members were not students when Champion died."

This means that "Atleast" 100 of the band member were not students, has nothing to do with their name.

TruBlu,

The 101 members CANT be suspended from school... THEY ARENT ENROLLED in school.

TruBlu,

I took it to mean students who were officially enrolled at FAMU. We all know that FAMU has marched area college students in the BAND for years to get their numbers up. If these kids were not officially FAMU students , it seems they could be put out the band, but not suspended from FAMU.

Maybe somebody from FAMU could explain it.

Thames: everybody is suspended. Lol There's no BAND for the next 365 days.
Some of the "street" students even participated in the hazing events. Hazing alone was bad enough for them but to find out some of the guys respondible for Champions death were random nigglettes from the street wearing band uniforms smh
Not a GOOD LOOK!
They'll be lucky to have the band reinstated next year.
It appears that everything is coming to surface. Which should bc they're "cleaning house"
Gotta get rid of every stain.

TruBlu,

I took it to mean students who were officially enrolled at FAMU. We all know that FAMU has marched area college students in the BAND for years to get their numbers up. If these kids were not officially FAMU students , it seems they could be put out the band, but not suspended from FAMU.

Maybe somebody from FAMU could explain it.

Not sure if this answers your question :confused:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...unces-retirement-college-president-wants-band

From Ammons' letter:

- 331 of the band's 457 "travelers" were FAMU students at the beginning of the fall semester. Twenty-five were employees.

- 49 members were students from Tallahassee Community College or Florida State University. None was enrolled in the required FAMU music course.

- 52 members attended FAMU at one time but were no longer enrolled while playing with the band in the fall.

FAMU officials said about 60 of the 101 students who weren't enrolled at FAMU attended the Nov. 19 Florida Classic in Orlando, where Champion died. Investigators say Champion, 26, was killed after a brutal hazing ritual aboard a bus after the game against Bethune-Cookman.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It is what it is. If you ask me though, I'd say they were lucky to only get a one year suspension. I thought they would have been done for at least the next 5 seasons. I don't think 1 year will be enough to really get their house clean.

It's too bad though. Such a prestigious program...fallen from grace in such a way. The Marching 100 is like the New Orleans Saints of the band world...smh

The FAMU athletic department is going to lose alotta money when it comes to gameday attendance!

Im curious to know how big the impact will be in regards to the suspension

Do the kids get to stay on scholarship... or is all that suspended for a year? didn't read the article

Last edited:
It is what it is. If you ask me though, I'd say they were lucky to only get a one year suspension. I thought they would have been done for at least the next 5 seasons. I don't think 1 year will be enough to really get their house clean.

It's too bad though. Such a prestigious program...fallen from grace in such a way. The Marching 100 is like the New Orleans Saints of the band world...smh

THIS!

I think 4 years should be the minimum.

What is suspending them for 4 years going to do? :confused:

They don't need to be suspended at all. They people responsible for Champions death are in custody, the band director has resigned, and KKPsi is gone for 5 years. What else can you do to that program? MANY people including those kids have put a lot into that program. I would hate to be an alum of the 100 right now because times like this really only hurt those of us who work hard in organizations.

I can see a one year suspension simply becasue an investigation of many aspects of the band is still ongoing... but beyond that is too much.

Back