Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discussion

Re: Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discuss

Lewis said:
IMHO, Bell's strategy for football (from what I have seen and heard) is about 10 years too late. Kids don't want to play that style, and most good teams can beat it. What it does though, it try to keep the game close, so it looks like you are in the game, or a few breaks may help you win the game. I really don't think it will work well in the SWAC. Most of the good teams are about putting up some points on the score board, and you better be able to score with them to win.
Actually most of the top schools play some type of ball-control type offense. This type of strategy is more current and effective than some of the raggedy spread offenses you see nowadays. Teams are increasingly going to more physical, run-based offenses. The key is being able to mix it up and make the big plays when you need it. Also, you have to be very strong and deep along the Offensive Line in order to run that system. Our problem is a combination of bad play-calling along with shoddy O-line and QB play.

Re: Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discuss

If his future was not up for discussion, it should have been.

JSU, fire Bell at the end of the season so you can get ready for recruiting.

JSU/99 said:
Actually most of the top schools play some type of ball-control type offense. This type of strategy is more current and effective than some of the raggedy spread offenses you see nowadays. Teams are increasingly going to more physical, run-based offenses. The key is being able to mix it up and make the big plays when you need it. Also, you have to be very strong and deep along the Offensive Line in order to run that system. Our problem is a combination of bad play-calling along with shoddy O-line and QB play.
IMHO, there is a differnence between some ball-control and just sitting on the damn ball thinking you are gonna eventually run someone over. IMHO, the days of lining up and just thinking you can physically whip a team are basically over. Now, everyone has wieght rooms, and can get players big enough and strong enough where you can't just run them over. Even schools like USC (remember, student body right, student body left), Oklahoma, and now even Nebraska have moved more wide, open, big play offense. True they still run the ball too, but there strategy is much wider than that. After you control the ball for a while, you gotta be able to set up a big play, and trick somebody or use athletic talent, you gotta have some strategy besides just running someone over.

Lewis said:
IMHO, there is a differnence between some ball-control and just sitting on the damn ball thinking you are gonna eventually run someone over. IMHO, the days of lining up and just thinking you can physically whip a team are basically over. Now, everyone has wieght rooms, and can get players big enough and strong enough where you can't just run them over. Even schools like USC (remember, student body right, student body left), Oklahoma, and now even Nebraska have moved more wide, open, big play offense. True they still run the ball too, but there strategy is much wider than that. After you control the ball for a while, you gotta be able to set up a big play, trick somebody, you gotta have some strategy besides just running someone over.
Like I said, its all about being able to mix it up and make the big plays when you need it. Our play-calling(particularly the last 3 games) has been a major reason for our offensive ineptitude The overall strategy is fine, the execution is what's lacking.

But I must disagree about Nebraska. Like Trev Alberts pointed out, they're actually behind the curve with this west coast offense they're running. The trend now is balance; combining the ability to be physical up front with the ability to make big plays. That's why Oklahoma is better this year than they were last year.

bell is in the second year of a 3-year contract.
if he is fired at the end of the 2004 season, does jsu have the financial resources to buy him out as well as put a new coach (and staff) on the payroll?

JSU/99 said:
Like I said, its all about being able to mix it up and make the big plays when you need it. Our play-calling(particularly the last 3 games) has been a major reason for our offensive ineptitude The overall strategy is fine, the execution is what's lacking.

But I must disagree about Nebraska. Like Trev Alberts pointed out, they're actually behind the curve with this west coast offense they're running. The trend now is balance; combining the ability to be physical up front with the ability to make big plays. That's why Oklahoma is better this year than they were last year.
I agree about Nebraska, but the point was they even realize they can't just run folks over anymore, but looks like they went to far the other way.

Your other statement is kinda ??????. IMHO, the play calling is the strategy in action. You can do whatever in pratice or when you are talking, but what you do when the game starts is what counts. And I know what I have seen every time I saw Jackson State Play.

Lewis said:
IMHO, the play calling is the strategy in action. You can do whatever in pratice or when you are talking, but what you do when the game starts is what counts. And I know what I have seen every time I saw Jackson State Play.
Not unless the team scripts the first 20 plays or so. Play-calling is usually based on a number of factors (what the Coordinator sees in the defense, how the team is looking, etc.) that play out during the game. The overall strategy is based on your offensive system and how you prepare for the D you're up against before the game. They seem similar but are really 2 different things.

For some reason, our coaches seem to lose confidence in the offense whenever the guys start slow. The play-calling gets ultra-conservative and you see the entire offense spiral downward. That's something that should've been fixed, but hasn't. Players can usually tell when a coach doesn't have faith in their ability to make plays. When a player feels that way, he starts dogging it and you see half-hearted efforts.

For some reason, our coaches seem to lose confidence in the offense whenever the guys start slow. The play-calling gets ultra-conservative and you see the entire offense spiral downward. That's something that should've been fixed, but hasn't. Players can usually tell when a coach doesn't have faith in their ability to make plays. When a player feels that way, he starts dogging it and you see half-hearted efforts.
Yeah, ain't that just a fancy, sugar coated way of saying what I said earlier. Put it like this, if Bell was a basketball coach, no matter what was praticed or said before the game, when the game started, he would try to call every set each time the team got the ball, don't fast break (cause he can't control that), every shot would be taken from point blank range to increase the percentage (statistics prove a 5 foot shot is has a higher probablility of going in than a 15 foot shot), don't shoot any threes (to low of percentage shot). We are going to concentrate on defense, because defense wins (Translation: we will take the air out of th ball) and play every game in the 40's. BELL is gonna make sure that the reason we win is HIS SYSTEM, not any players ability or athletic talent (see Kent last year). A player is just a generically replaceable part in his mastermind of a system. You will never get confused on who is the brains around here and who ain't.

Lewis said:
IMHO, there is a differnence between some ball-control and just sitting on the damn ball thinking you are gonna eventually run someone over. IMHO, the days of lining up and just thinking you can physically whip a team are basically over. Now, everyone has wieght rooms, and can get players big enough and strong enough where you can't just run them over. Even schools like USC (remember, student body right, student body left), Oklahoma, and now even Nebraska have moved more wide, open, big play offense. True they still run the ball too, but there strategy is much wider than that. After you control the ball for a while, you gotta be able to set up a big play, and trick somebody or use athletic talent, you gotta have some strategy besides just running someone over.
:smh:

Lewis, I have to agree with you. When I look at Boise State, Utah State, etc.... coming out there with their offenses, I see why they stay ranked. These schools may never receive the glory of being a big powerhouse D1A school, but they surely do beat alot of those big powerhouse D1A schools with their potent offenses. I have noticed alot of D1A schools ARE opening up more with 4-5 receiver sets and even going without anyone in the backfields.

I for one believe the best defense against a high-powered passing offense is a ball control running offense. That way, your offense can get 4 or 5 yards a pop, chew time off the clock, limit turnovers, wear down your defense, and keep the high powered offense on the field.

Was it last year or the year before that GSU/SU played in the BC and both teams passed every play. It made for a LONG game because of all the incomplete passes and it looked like no defense was played.

It's all about building your defense. Fcuk pass happy offenses. Bell has the right idea, just not the right implementation. He better get it right soon though.

Da_Sperm said:
I for one believe the best defense against a high-powered passing offense is a ball control running offense. That way, your offense can get 4 or 5 yards a pop, chew time off the clock, limit turnovers, wear down your defense, and keep the high powered offense on the field.

Was it last year or the year before that GSU/SU played in the BC and both teams passed every play. It made for a LONG game because of all the incomplete passes and it looked like no defense was played.
I understand that philosiphy, to implement that you need to have a physical advantage over my defense. No matter how many passes my offense throws, that has nothing to do with me having enough big strong defensive players that you can't just run over them and get 4 or 5 yards a pop on. Years ago, you could run the ball, and your running back could outrun my defenders, beat them to the corner, ect. Now, I got linebackers that can run with your running back, that are also big enough and strong enought that you can't consistently run over them either. Unlike years ago, where my starters played the whole game, I got 7 d-linemen that are big, strong, and fast. I rotate them so they don't wear down as much. That strategy will shorten the game and run time off the clock, and keep the score low, and make the game look close, but you are not going to dominate like that, because I, (unlike you) am gonna let my athletes play and make plays (and yes, screw up sometimes). But they will play harder for me than you with that 5 yards and a cloud of dust strategy.

Da_Sperm said:
You'll see that this week hopefully with UT going into Lubbock.

The UT, Texas Tech game will be a perfect example this weekend. Teams that focus on the WIDE OPEN offense, do not tend to focus on defense. UT has good enough defensive players to slow down TT, but that is not the case for TT defense against UT's offense.

TRU2GSU said:
Will the JSU faithfuls come to Grambling this weekend?

I'll be there. lol. Maybe if yall beat us like by 100 they will fire him. lol.

Tigerpride said:
Man, one thing Bell is good at is the power of persuation. If any of you spend 30 minutes with the man, you would think that there is no way he could lose a football game or not steal a recruit from Miami. But then you see him coach and..... :rolleyes:

Wait, I didn't say that. We support James Bell.

He never fooled me. I have spent time speaking with him and I saw right through it.

NOISE TALKA said:
I'll be there. lol. Maybe if yall beat us like by 100 they will fire him. lol.

This is pathetic, and it puts JSU in the same boat that Tex. So. was in last year. Cleb-28 asked the Bulldogs to put a big beating on them so they could fire Thomas. Now you are asking Gram to do the same for you. I always thought Jenny Sue could handle her problems in-house.

Oracle said:
This is pathetic, and it puts JSU in the same boat that Tex. So. was in last year. Cleb-28 asked the Bulldogs to put a big beating on them so they could fire Thomas. Now you are asking Gram to do the same for you. I always thought Jenny Sue could handle her problems in-house.

We will. But it is kinda hard to handle things in house when all of ya'll in our business. If Annie Mae was 1-5, no one would notice.

Tigerpride said:
If Annie Mae was 1-5, no one would notice.
Thats crap. You would not let it go unnoticed, and would remind us of it every time you posted anything about us.

For the record, we are not 1-5 and will not be so as long as we have other SWAC teams and maybe Jenny Sue in those six games.

Oracle said:
Thats crap. You would not let it go unnoticed, and would remind us of it every time you posted anything about us.

For the record, we are not 1-5 and will not be so as long as we have other SWAC teams and maybe Jenny Sue in those six games.

Yeah and Savannah State does not hurt either does it....LOL

Tigerpride said:

Nope, it does not. We are neither choosy or discriminatory. We will kick anyone's tail.

Oracle said:

For the record, we are not 1-5 ................

See ......... :idea: ............ you had to tell us that because NOBODY NOTICED. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

Tigerpride said:

What does Savannah St have do with the way you jsue bottom feeders are playing and are being coached?? "L", y'all better be glad y'all didn't schedule the 6th Street Pirates or the NW YWCA 'cause y'all would be in a heepa trouble.

I hear Conneticut is still available............hehehehehe. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

I think y'all should honor 4-24's contract through it's completion AND sign him to a 6 year $750, 000 contract with an SUV thrown in to sweeten the pot...............y'all know he deserves an extention with a raise.

jstate83 said:
See ......... :idea: ............ you had to tell us that because NOBODY NOTICED. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

83:
You got it backwards. Everybody noticed that we were not 1-5. That's why no jokes were made about us.

When others are looking for some team to smack, they look for the worst record. That's why everyone looks for Jenny Sue. And generally, Jenny Sue provides fodder for laughter.

BTW, when are you going to change your name like 06 and Kool-Aid did. You can try to conceal your association with those desperate tiny tiggers just like they did.

STRAWDOG said:
What does Savannah St have do with the way you jsue bottom feeders are playing and are being coached?? "L", y'all better be glad y'all didn't schedule the 6th Street Pirates or the NW YWCA 'cause y'all would be in a heepa trouble.

I hear Conneticut is still available............hehehehehe. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

I think y'all should honor 4-24's contract through it's completion AND sign him to a 6 year $750, 000 contract with an SUV thrown in to sweeten the pot...............y'all know he deserves an extention with a raise.

And that's no joke. Bell is doing for you all things that no JSU coach has ever done before. That makes him special, and worthy of JSU's continued support and admiration.

Back