Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discussion

Re: Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discuss

Jones first team went 8-4 and went to the SCG also.

Re: Embattled Bell, JSU brass meet. Coach says his future was not a topic of discuss

Tigerpride said:
See George Small. You all seem rather impressed with Forte but this is his first year. Let's see where he has the program in two or three years.

Where does Pete have SU after a dozen or so years? He went undefeated in the SWAC his 1st season.

You are right though, a lot of us folks are impressed with what Forte is doing. You got to give the man some credit TP. I saw with my own two eyes Saturday what good coaching can do for a door mat program like PB had become. Check the guys resume, look at his credentials. PB did a good job being patient and from all indications, they got the right man for the job. Any SWAC school looking to make a coaching change in the near future should be taking notes.

DonTiger said:
Where does Pete have SU after a dozen or so years? He went undefeated in the SWAC his 1st season.

DT, what are you talking about?

Tigerpride said:
See George Small. You all seem rather impressed with Forte but this is his first year. Let's see where he has the program in two or three years.

UAPB Source 1/15/2004 said:
Forte?s name comes as a surprise to many UAPB fans, considering the more known applicants, as well as Forte?s 15-29 record at Norfolk, which was an issue that Curry discussed.
?At Norfolk St.,? Curry said, ?he got to those people after they were leaving from Division II going to Division I. And that?s a reason for not so many wins.
For several weeks, speculation has surfaced around San Jose State assistant head coach Earl Buckingham, Toledo assistant Dennis Winston, and Grambling State offensive coordinator Melvin Spears mainly because of their ties to the Golden Lions, the state of Arkansas, and the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Curry, however, has known Forte for over 20 years.
Curry stated that Forte?s coaching experience is his greatest asset in the interviewing process. Forte, 55, has a coaching tenure that covers over 30 years of experience, beginning in 1970 when he served as an (backfield and wide receivers) assistant at the University of Minnesota.
Forte got his first head coaching job at North Carolina A&T, where he was head coach from 1982 to 1987. In ?86, Forte won a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Championship in 1986. And in ?87, after a record of 27-36-1, Forte left the college ranks for the NFL.

full story is http://www.uapb.edu/source/sports/sports_forte_interview.html

TP, this is a rare moment I agree with you. Although Forte is having a good year, I'm really going to hold off judgement until like 2006-2007.
So let's do the math at Norfolk and NC A&T... his combined record at the two schools was 42-65-1 prior to taking over at UAPB with only one conference title as a head coach. :read:
Also, like Bell, Forte had a pre-existing relationship with the AD in charge.

Well, one talent is coaching another is recruiting and talent evalutation. To win over time it takes both. Some have one, some have the other, the real good ones have both. If you are a good coach, but poor recruiter/talent evaluator, you may win at first (if the old coach left some talent), but after 2 or 3 poor recruiting classes, it will catch up with you.

LaCumba said:
DT, what are you talking about?

TP raises the issue that Forte's 1st year could be a fluke and he could be a flop in sheeps clothing.

Well, Pete's 1st year was terrific and he's still proving to be the best in the conference.

Lewis said:
Well, one talent is coaching another is recruiting and talent evalutation. To win over time it takes both. Some have one, some have the other, the real good ones have both. If you are a good coach, but poor recruiter/talent evaluator, you may win at first (if the old coach left some talent), but after 2 or 3 poor recruiting classes, it will catch up with you.

What's up LEW !!!!

Good points. I can see where you're coming from.

I guess I was just so impressed by what I saw on the field that I may have given too much credit but hey, RIGHT NOW, TODAY, He's the coach of the year. 2006 and 2007 is just speculation.

The one thing you can bet on is talent being at UAPB. We are the only HBCU in the state and those kids that don't get the chance at the big schools, will get the chance at UAPB. Unlike other states in the SWAC, we don't have to share. Same for those kids that do go off to Univ. of Ark and don't get the playing time, they are welcomed back to UAPB.

UAPB problem was Hardman. He simply wasn't a college coach. It should be easier for Mo. We you win, its a little easier to recruit.

I think its unreal to think any coach at any level to turn a program around in 1 or 2 years. Its a little easy for Pete to beat up on teams in the West when he's coaching against the likes of Hardman.

Peeps,
I think we need to stop calling James Bell a dumbbell. This guy has got to be some sort of genius. He must be impressing all the right people and saying all the right things. Let's face it, nobody that incompetent on the job could keep their job unless they were good at milking (brownnosing) the system.

Maybe Bell tells the president, I know we lost, but it ain't as bad as it looks. Remember the lawyers of the police that beat the isht outta Rodney King got the jury to believe that they didn't see what they think they saw in the video.

This is not smack, but something to think about. This guy must be some sort of genius that negoitation. We all know he don't know football, but he keeps his job. At least Johnny Thomas said it was divine intervention that kept him at Alcorn after going 0-11. Maybe, just maybe the administration of Alcorn and JSU understand and practice forgiveness.

Da_Sperm said:
I think its unreal to think any coach at any level to turn a program around in 1 or 2 years. Its a little easy for Pete to beat up on teams in the West when he's coaching against the likes of Hardman.

Many programs have been turned around overnite when talent was there and the players were previously under-coached. Attitude can make a world of difference. The same year, Pete came to SU, Terry Bowden came to Auburn and took a team on probation to an 11-0 record. It turned out later that Terry Bowden was a poor recruiter and his later teams suffered. Forte must have some talent in the house.

To be honest with you Pete is not a great recruiter. If you look at the facts Pete has not sent that many players to the NFL. Pete teams win on conditioning, execution, and effort. Winning is not always about talent. Its about buying into the system and believing in the system. Pete players always buys into the system and give maximum effort.

UAPB has always had talent, look at the kids that got drafted the past 5 years. Even Spears said that in his interview last week. I'm not saying a program can't get turned around in 1 or 2 years, I'm saying its wrong to think the program will get turned around in 1 or 2 years. Most programs (unlike JSU and Nebraska) have been going thru troubled times.

Lets face it, the SWAC has dealt UAPB a very good hand this year. Not having to play SU or Alcorn (last year's powerhouses), compiled with the coaching change and injuries at GSU, Forte has taken advantage of this situation. They are a well-coached team and will close the year out strong no matter what.

Most first year coaches don't catch these breaks.

Tigerpride said:

Just when I thought you couldn't get more mindless....

The question was asked for opinions of Coach of the Year, (on another thread,) and the issue brought up on this thread as to what coaches have done THIS YEAR, not coach of the next dayum decade! How you read so much into something so simple continues to amaze me. Coach of the Year means just that....YEAR!

How others of you on this thread have entertained him is even more amazing!!

:smh:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
To be honest with you Pete is not a great recruiter. If you look at the facts Pete has not sent that many players to the NFL. Pete teams win on conditioning, execution, and effort. Winning is not always about talent. Its about buying into the system and believing in the system. Pete players always buys into the system and give maximum effort.
I agree. I respect SU for their winning atmosphere. It truly makes a difference.

Timbuktu Jag said:
This is not smack, but something to think about. This guy must be some sort of genius that negoitation. We all know he don't know football, but he keeps his job. At least Johnny Thomas said it was divine intervention that kept him at Alcorn after going 0-11. Maybe, just maybe the administration of Alcorn and JSU understand and practice forgiveness.

Trust me, no one is forgiving in Jackson. I sometimes wonder how he makes it home safely at night.

And he knows football. He understands the game, but his problem is that he can't translate that to the field on Saturdays. Add that to the fact that the players were never receptive to his philosophy from the get-go, and you've got the situation we're in now.

He has a great philosophy, and a good idea of where the program should be headed, but what he lacks is the ability to actually get us there.......from there I can go on and on.............

LS Syndicate said:
He has a great philosophy, and a good idea of where the program should be headed, but what he lacks is the ability to actually get us there.......from there I can go on and on.............

Why doesn't he hire assistant coaches to implement his game plan if he doesn't have the know how?

LS Syndicate said:
Trust me, no one is forgiving in Jackson. I sometimes wonder how he makes it home safely at night.

And he knows football. He understands the game, but his problem is that he can't translate that to the field on Saturdays. Add that to the fact that the players were never receptive to his philosophy from the get-go, and you've got the situation we're in now.

I don't dispute you in that he knows football, he has a track record to prove that. It just seems that he's one of those guys who's a good assistant or coordinator, but can't translate that into success as a head coach.

LaCumba said:
I don't think that was TP's point.... carry on!

You know some people are slow.

AAMU Alum said:
Just when I thought you couldn't get more mindless....

The question was asked for opinions of Coach of the Year, (on another thread,) and the issue brought up on this thread as to what coaches have done THIS YEAR, not coach of the next dayum decade! How you read so much into something so simple continues to amaze me. Coach of the Year means just that....YEAR!

How others of you on this thread have entertained him is even more amazing!!

:smh:

What did I miss? Is this the coach of the year thread.. I could have sworn that I did not post on that thread. :confused:

Timbuktu Jag said:
Peeps,
I think we need to stop calling James Bell a dumbbell. This guy has got to be some sort of genius. He must be impressing all the right people and saying all the right things. Let's face it, nobody that incompetent on the job could keep their job unless they were good at milking (brownnosing) the system.

Man, one thing Bell is good at is the power of persuation. If any of you spend 30 minutes with the man, you would think that there is no way he could lose a football game or not steal a recruit from Miami. But then you see him coach and..... :rolleyes:

Wait, I didn't say that. We support James Bell.

It's amazing what an arse whipping will do to some folk. Don Tiger, you've been singing Mo Forte`s praises since they beat the schit out of Gram.

I will give Forte' credit for what he's doing at PB, but he was a loser at his previous stops. What I will give him credit on, is recognizing what kind of talent he had at PB, and using it, not doing a James "Frank Sinatra" Bell, doing it his way, and forcing a system on personnel that's not built for it.

Sperm is right, PB doesn't have to compete with anyone in Arkansas (HBCU) wise, and it's not like the 2nd tier schools in the state can offer more than PB. They've always had talent, just poor coaching. I'll give Forte` his props, but dayum Don Tiger come up for air bruh.

I would hope JSU would do a thorough search this time, and get a solid coach, and not just someone from the JSU tree just to appease (sp) the JSU faithful for this past faux pas.

NICE

D-NICE said:
I would hope JSU would do a thorough search this time, and get a solid coach, and not just someone from the JSU tree just to appease (sp) the JSU faithful for this past faux pas.

NICE

If you replace "JSU" with CULB and "Thorough" with "UPFRONT, REAL, and HONEST" then this statement is solid. :swink:

Honestly, I thought I saw a good JSU team against TnState. That last second loss may have gotten carried over into SWAC play.

Last year Bell laid JSU's misfortune on his under estimation of the team's learning curve. After talking to the JSU mafia, and Get Ready, he claimed the fan base had a defective learning curve.

This year his explanation is that the program is developing.
Thisi he presents to the President and AD.

And to everyones amazement they swallowed this crap hook line and sinker.

Question is who they gonna believe? Coach Bell or their lying eyes.

Maybe they believe Bell is going to pull off a Coach Thomas and Alcorn turn around.

JSU is in trouble, I felt sorry for the players because the look on their faces when they left the field told the whole story. They deserve better.

:lecture:

IMHO, Bell's strategy for football (from what I have seen and heard) is about 10 years too late. Kids don't want to play that style, and most good teams can beat it. What it does though, it try to keep the game close, so it looks like you are in the game, or a few breaks may help you win the game. I really don't think it will work well in the SWAC. Most of the good teams are about putting up some points on the score board, and you better be able to score with them to win.

Back