Electrical Engineering: Tryin to help a lil cousin out with deciding a college major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerpride

THE Logical ONE
I have a little cousin I'm trying to help to plan out his future. He is at a Junior college right now but he says he wants to go to MS State to major in EE. He's a smart kid but hangs with all the country hoodlums and I am not sure he is dedicated enough to make it in EE. From my days at Tech, I always called the EE guys. "The ones who can't go to Club Nikki's" :lol: They had it rough trying to get out of there with a 2.5.

He says that one of his cousins (on his dad's side) went to TA&M and majored in EE. Now, I know this cousin and I don't think he went to no TA&M. The only thing this dude has ever done is sold drugs but my cousin says that he saw a degree from TA&M saying that he finished the EE program. My question is, do they offer some sort of "certificate" programs in something similar to EE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Electircal Engineering: Tryin to help a lil cousin out with deciding a college ma

I don't think Texas A&M offers a certificate program outside of the confines of the College of Engineering. Meaning, you have to be a student in a degree program in order to receive the certificate in ADDITION to your degree. Even if you get a certificate in an engineering program you still have to go through a rigorous set of courses.

Even still, there's hope for your cousin. My homeboy grew up in the hood, hung around with drug dealers, etc. :uhoh: but this cat went to SU and finished in EE. Heis smarter at math than anyone I know. He is working on his PhD in math now.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Electircal Engineering: Tryin to help a lil cousin out with deciding a college ma

I don't think Texas A&M offers a certificate program outside of the confines of the College of Engineering. Meaning, you have to be a student in a degree program in order to receive the certificate in ADDITION to your degree. Even if you get a certificate in an engineering program you still have to go through a rigorous set of courses.

Even still, there's hope for your cousin. My homeboy grew up in the hood, hung around with drug dealers, etc. :uhoh: but this cat went to SU and finished in EE. Heis smarter at math than anyone I know. He is working on his PhD in math now.

Yeah, he is a math wiz... but his friends are turrible! Someone broke into a relative's house this week and all everyone was thinkin of was my lil cousin's friends. :smh: I have to call him all the time and say, "you know how to say no when others are doing wrong, right?" :lol: When that case about that 11 year old girl in Tx came out, I called him immediately. I don't wanna see him get caught up in the middle of some mess.

..and your homeboy is amazing...he survived the hood AND SU? :lol:

Well, he says he saw Tx A&M on this degree. Does TAMU run a JUCO system too? I ain't tryin to be funny but I know this dude didn't get a EE degree from TAMU unless he bought it. :lol:

Simply put!

Your cousin should consider SU, PV or FAMU ..which all are some of the best EE programs.. Well FAMU mainly for ME...And the cost of tuition is far cheaper than any other school..

I have a little cousin I'm trying to help to plan out his future. He is at a Junior college right now but he says he wants to go to MS State to major in EE. He's a smart kid but hangs with all the country hoodlums and I am not sure he is dedicated enough to make it in EE. From my days at Tech, I always called the EE guys. "The ones who can't go to Club Nikki's" :lol: They had it rough trying to get out of there with a 2.5.

He says that one of his cousins (on his dad's side) went to TA&M and majored in EE. Now, I know this cousin and I don't think he went to no TA&M. The only thing this dude has ever done is sold drugs but my cousin says that he saw a degree from TA&M saying that he finished the EE program. My question is, do they offer some sort of "certificate" programs in something similar to EE?

Some schools have Electrical Engineering Technology which is not the same as a degree in Electrical Engineering.

You're right that the Electrical Engineering program at Mississippi State is no joke. However, State does its weeding out process during the freshmen and sophomore years. If you can survive the first two years, then you can make it through the rest of the program. The key is whether his juco curriculum was as rigorous as State's.

So, if he was strong in Chem I and II, Physics I and II and Calculus I, II, III and IV in juco, then I think he can make it. Otherwise, the culture shock will be tremendous and he's going to feel lost from day 1.

There is really not a difference in the two. The real difference is one specializes in design and the other focuses on hands on. Both take calculus and physics base classes.
Some schools have Electrical Engineering Technology which is not the same as a degree in Electrical Engineering.

You're right that the Electrical Engineering program at Mississippi State is no joke. However, State does its weeding out process during the freshmen and sophomore years. If you can survive the first two years, then you can make it through the rest of the program. The key is whether his juco curriculum was as rigorous as State's.

So, if he was strong in Chem I and II, Physics I and II and Calculus I, II, III and IV in juco, then I think he can make it. Otherwise, the culture shock will be tremendous and he's going to feel lost from day 1.

Most Engineering schools does its weeding out by Sophomore year...regardless of the field of choice.

There is really not a difference in the two. The real difference is one specializes in design and the other focuses on hands on. Both take calculus and physics base classes.

There is a difference in the two degrees when it comes to applying for jobs. A technology degree is not the same as an Engineering degree.

southsuburbs;1 There is a difference in the two degrees when it comes to applying for jobs. A technology degree is not the same as an Engineering degree.[/QUOTE said:
Both of those are lies. I have a BS in EET, a MS in EET and a BS in EE. I designed, tested ,and wrote software as an Engineer before I went back and got my EE. Yes the classes start of different, but they all end the same. Many of my co-workers have EET and MET degrees. I have five of them on this board.

Both of those are lies. I have a BS in EET, a MS in EET and a BS in EE. I designed, tested ,and wrote software as an Engineer before I went back and got my EE. Yes the classes start of different, but they all end the same. Many of my co-workers have EET and MET degrees. I have five of them on this board.

echnology degrees are not sought after like engineering degrees.

If you going to take all the main courses needed you might as well finish with the Engineering degree.

At my job (Govt.) a technology degree hits the ceiling much further down than an Engineering degree.

Dayum. All that education and crazier than a road lizzard. :lol:

If you going to take all the main courses needed you might as well finish with the Engineering degree.

At my job (Govt.) a technology degree hits the ceiling much further down than an Engineering degree.

That is not true either. You do know AAMU only offered Technology degrees until 1996? Until the 1998 there were only 10 HBCU's that offered full degrees.boeing, lockheed, raytheon, general dynamics, ge, army, fedearl goverment all hired aamu grads. They still do.with no pay dfference.

Last edited:

That is not true either. You do know AAMU only offered Technology degrees until 1996? Until the 1998 there were only 10 HBCU's that offered full degrees.boeing, lockheed, raytheon, general dynamics, ge, army, fedearl goverment all hired aamu grads. They still do.with no pay dfference.

The no pay difference is a lie. maybe in 1996...but in 2011, a technology degree will not get you the same pay as an Engineering degree.

The no pay difference is a lie. maybe in 1996...but in 2011, a technology degree will not get you the same pay as an Engineering degree.

Once again not true. You do know that Huntsville is only second to Research tri-angle in engineers? 6 out of every 10 folks are engineers? The pay scales are the same. You are reffering to associate degrees in technology. A BS makes you a technologist, a associate makes you a technician.

Last edited:

:true statement:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

ON the real.. I wish SU gets rid of the EET program.. Because they take almost the same classes EE take but have the HARDEST time landing a gig after graduation. If they would have taken a few more classes their chances of getting a job in their field is much better.

ON the real.. I wish SU gets rid of the EET program.. Because they take almost the same classes EE take but have the HARDEST time landing a gig after graduation. If they would have taken a few more classes their chances of getting a job in their field is much better.

It is the area they are in. In Huntsville, Cali, DC, ATL they will have no problem getting jobs. How yall gone tell me something about a degree I have? I worked as an egnineer long begore yall even grduated from highschool. :lol: If you gone tell something, tell the truth. Just don't say something to sound smart. :lol: I work with SU EET grads. We worked o the space shuttle and various DOD programs. All with the same pay as EE's, ME's and CE's. If you have an associate degree you make technician pay.

Usually state and local government requires an Engineering degree rather than technology.

In the private sector and in the federal government (contractors), they will accept a technology degree just as fast as an EE degree. Heck I a fellow SU alum is an engineering lead here where I am and he has an MET degree from SU. I know a few EET cats with that type of position also. Then in the oil and gas industry there are a lot of high ranking cats with Technology (or no) degrees.

Usually state and local government requires an Engineering degree rather than technology.

In the private sector and in the federal government (contractors), they will accept a technology degree just as fast as an EE degree. Heck I a fellow SU alum is an engineering lead here where I am and he has an MET degree from SU. I know a few EET cats with that type of position also. Then in the oil and gas industry there are a lot of high ranking cats with Technology (or no) degrees.

Thank you. I was waiting on you. :lol: Man these young kids are niave. They love to classify themseleves as special. :lol: SS was correct with state government, but even they are changing. :lol: By the way SS and SUtprt, more white boys and Technology degrees than black folks. Don't let them fool you. :lol:

Cee,
SS works for the local govt I believe or is a contractor so that might explain your different perceptions.

Cee,
SS works for the local govt I believe or is a contractor so that might explain your different perceptions.

Yeah I know. I just like messing with SS. :lol: Working for the state gov in the south is not favorable any way. :lol:

Cee you lying!!! you setting TP's cousin up for failure simply b/c you hate JSU.

Cee you lying!!! you setting TP's cousin up for failure simply b/c you hate JSU.

:lol: I actually work with a bunch of JSU grads. :lol: I tolerate them. :emlaugh:

That is a lie. Boeing. Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, The federal government all start them off the same.

In many cases that is true. Same pay-range scales are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back