Court Ruling may affect Rap Producers

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
Look out Diddy and Kanye West:

High court rules sampling violates copyright law

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) ? A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that rap artists should pay for every musical sample included in their work ? even minor, unrecognizable snippets of music.

Lower courts had already ruled that artists must pay when they sample another artists' work. But it has been legal to use musical snippets ? a note here, a chord there ? as long as it wasn't identifiable.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati gets rid of that distinction. The court said federal laws aimed at stopping piracy of recordings applies to digital sampling.

"If you cannot pirate the whole sound recording, can you 'lift' or 'sample' something less than the whole? Our answer to that question is in the negative," the court said.

NASTYNUPE said:
Look out Diddy and Kanye West:

High court rules sampling violates copyright law

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that rap artists should pay for every musical sample included in their work — even minor, unrecognizable snippets of music.

Lower courts had already ruled that artists must pay when they sample another artists' work. But it has been legal to use musical snippets — a note here, a chord there — as long as it wasn't identifiable.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati gets rid of that distinction. The court said federal laws aimed at stopping piracy of recordings applies to digital sampling.

"If you cannot pirate the whole sound recording, can you 'lift' or 'sample' something less than the whole? Our answer to that question is in the negative," the court said.

Who's to say that the note came from a particular song? This will cause a lot of problems.

They should make them pay for every note used.

Remember what happened to Truth Hurts when she bootlegged some song from India. That chick is in the poor house now.

_ _ _ :(

They should rule to ban every rap concert until we can figure out what the hell they are saying.

Da_Sperm said:
They should rule to ban every rap concert until we can figure out what the hell they are saying.

When you say 'they', do you mean the Court, or the rappers......

:D:D

Good!!!! Now hopefully these rappers can go and learn how to play an instrument and create some original melodies, and chord progressions.

Taylor-Made'90 said:
When you say 'they', do you mean the Court, or the rappers......

:D:D

Court, rappers, me, dogs, cats, or whoever. Nobody understands a dayum thing they say at rap concerts. Steve Harvey, tell em again.

I bought this Tupac Live CD that just came out and before I heard this I was crazy about some Tupac. This CD sounded like Tupac smoked a pack of cigaretts (msp), then ran 2 miles right before he went on stage. He was out of breathe, shouting and everything. I sounded GD HORRIBLE!!!

Da_Sperm said:
I bought this Tupac Live CD that just came out and before I heard this I was crazy about some Tupac. This CD sounded like Tupac smoked a pack of cigaretts (msp), then ran 2 miles right before he went on stage. He was out of breathe, shouting and everything. I sounded GD HORRIBLE!!!
:lmao:

Steve Harvey gives em pure de hell, doesn't he?

it is about time . they are makign money off other people stuff. get creative for a change and make music instead of stealing it and callign yoursefl a genius.thank god this came down .they should pay these folks dead or alive for evey note they steal and say they made it. kanye on the cover of some mag (i forget)he holdign up let's get it on album and others . thief. messing. up good songs.looks like cahs money willback on top.they can actually use a drum machine and make beats sometime.

This is gonna affect EVERYBODY except a few.

I don't care what you listen to, dang near EVERY song put out has something sampled in them .............................. and everybody ain't paying. It ain't just the rappers. :emlaugh:

L, if I get high and was listening to some Al Green and started rappin, I could make a hit song. They need to simply learn music one way or the other. Or be like Hammer and pay for sampling someone else's isht!

Da_Sperm said:
L, if I get high and was listening to some Al Green and started rappin, I could make a hit song. They need to simply learn music one way or the other. Or be like Hammer and pay for sampling someone else's isht!

But Hammer's arse is broke! :D

:hat:

Da_Sperm said:
Sperm, stop it....LOL

That great Anthony Hamilton cd had a lot of samples in it...Jill Scott also...those 2 are just off the top of my head.

L, it ain't stealing if it makes those old artists rich...look at Rick James.

India Arie's first album was full of samples. Alicia Keys samples. R&B people have started sampling rap songs. How is that going to affect mix tapes? Pretty soon, it's going to be illegal to record from the radio. When does it end???

jag4life said:
That great Anthony Hamilton cd had a lot of samples in it...Jill Scott also...those 2 are just off the top of my head.

L, it ain't stealing if it makes those old artists rich...look at Rick James.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's my point. They call themselves going after JUST RAPPERS and now LAWYERS are going be making the millions now.

It's alright to sample if you are going to pay the artist you are sampling from. If rappers can afford it, they will still sample. The reason that I'm against sampling is because it ends new techniques of musicianship on a instruments. All music that is played on the radio today here in America was influenced by African American music artist, ie Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Bo Didley, Chuck Berry, John Coltrane Charlie Parker,Miles Davis, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Larry Graham(inovator of the Slap Bass technique that is heavily prevalent in today's music and rap sample's). There has not been any new innovation on muscianship since rap took off like a tidal wave in 1986. How many young Black guitar players can you name, that's under 23 years of age on the major music scene today?

pbla said:
Good!!!! Now hopefully these rappers can go and learn how to play an instrument and create some original melodies, and chord progressions.

They do. Have you ever heard of the "Roots"?

Back