Court Ruling may affect Rap Producers

northern tiger said:
They do. Have you ever heard of the "Roots"?

Yes. They are from Philly are'nt they. The White boys Linkin Park rap also with some original riffs.

pbla said:
How many young Black guitar players can you name, that's under 23 years of age on the major music scene today?
Dude how many could you name in mainstream music UNDER 23 in the past?

I can only think of 3.................but they ain't under 23. :winkgrin:

1. Lenny K.
2. The guitarist from the group "Livin' Colour" ...............Vernon Reid
3. The guitarist from the group " Fishbone" ............... John Black

jag4life said:
Dude

Let me see,

Louis Johnson
Stanley Jordan
Ernie Isley
Prince
Jesse Johnson
Jermaine and Tito Jackson

jstate83 said:
I can only think of 3.................but they ain't under 23. :winkgrin:

1. Lenny K.
2. The guitarist from the group "Livin' Colour" ...............Vernon Reid
3. The guitarist from the group " Fishbone" ............... John Black

JSTATE83 it's nice to know someone else besides me that know about FISHBONE.

jag4life said:
jstate83 said:
Man.............. Fishbone and Living Colour ROCKED DUDE!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

OK Jag4Life, my young whipasnapper, now you name some young bruhs or sistahs that are under 23 that plays guitar in the mainstream that are under 23 today? :bump:

JSTATE83 Fishbone and Living Colour was the shat for Rock. Remember Xavion from Memphis they were some bad brothas too.

pbla,
You named a group of people over a period of at least 30 years. If I did research I could find 6 people under 23 who play guitar.

Also, the only ones I believe were under 23 are the Jacksons.

jag4life said:
pbla,
You named a group of people over a period of at least 30 years. If I did research I could find 6 people under 23 who play guitar.

Also, the only ones I believe were under 23 are the Jacksons.
Well I was young at that time,I'm a year older than Prince :shh:. I just name the above off the top of my head.

Right now come to think of it I think India Arie is under 23 or 25. She plays guitar.

Prince made his debut at 18 years old. The Brother Johnson came out in 1976,I was 19,Louis Johnson is 2 years older than me. Jermaine Jackson is also 2 years older than me and I believe Tito is 3. The Jackson 5 DEBUT in December 1969 on the Ed Sullivan Show, I was 12 years old. So that would have made Jermaine 14 years old and Tito 15.

Robert Randolph is 24 or 25....
You're stuck on this age thing and I have no idea how old these cats are...I'm 31...why not just ask how many guitarists are out there now?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's why I only named the 3 that I did. They were the closest to 23. :bday:

Lose the age and we can get a list of Black Guitarist up in here. :cool:

jag4life said:
Robert Randolph is 24 or 25....
You're stuck on this age thing and I have no idea how old these cats are...I'm 31...why not just ask how many guitarists are out there now?

I did my young brotha.I'm stuck on this age thing because I think it should be more young brothas playing and creating new techniques in the mainstream instead of sampling.

In a way sampling is okay but only to a limit. These rappers these days aren't original. I think of them sampling in a good way because it gives young folks a chance to listen to old skool music in a different way.

Namco America has filed a lawsuit against rapper Lil? Flip and Sony Music Entertainment for copyright infringement, over the rapper?s hit song ?Game Over.?

In a lawsuit filed in US District Court, Southern District of New York, Namco alleges their copyright was infringed upon, when sounds from the game "Pac-Man" and "Ms. Pac-Man" were included on ?Game Over? and the remix to the song.

Lawyers for Namco were tightlipped about the details of the case.

The lawsuit alleges the sampled portions of the songs were never cleared and cited that the song contained references to guns, drugs and profanity.

Sources stated that Namco is seeking millions in damages, with some stating the amount could be as high as $10 million dollars.

?Game Over? is taken from Lil? Flip?s platinum selling double album U Gotta Feel Me.

The lawsuit was filed months before a federal appeals court in Cincinnati, Ohio ruled that artists should pay for every sample included in their work, including short snippets, whether they were distinguishable or not.

The law previously allowed for some flexibility in regards to sampling, but that was struck down, when federal laws were passed to curb piracy of digital recordings.

The court ruled those laws applies to digital sampling.

Back