Confusion resolved, JSU prepares to face Texas Southern in opener

Blacknbengal

Ties create SWAC pairings mess

Confusion resolved, JSU prepares to face Texas Southern in opener

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Early Sunday morning, Jackson State coach Tevester Anderson thought his team was set to play Grambling State in the opening round of this week's Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.

Then he got a call informing him the Tigers were going to play Alabama State. A few hours later, he learned it was Texas Southern.

Read the story

What's really going on at the SWAC office? :(

I can see how the incorrect reporting of the SU/TSU caused problems.

I went to a couple websites Sat. night, including espn, and both had TSU winning instead of SU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Jag Voice
I can see how the incorrect reporting of the SU/TSU caused problems.

I went to a couple websites Sat. night, including espn, and both had TSU winning instead of SU.

I don't think the SWAC office relies on espn to inform them of there brackets seeding, but than again.

As I said in another post this is the SWAC, so don't be surprise if there's more changes.

Are any of you still confused about how incompetent the SWAC office is? This is a damn shame. Another black eye for the idiots of bham.

Get Ready,

Are any of you still confrused about how incompetent the SWAC office is? This is a damn shame. Another black eye for the idiots of bham.

Admittedly, this was not a good thing in terms of an endorsement.

Originally posted by bluedog
I don't think the SWAC office relies on espn to inform them of there brackets seeding, but than again.

As I said in another post this is the SWAC, so don't be surprise if there's more changes.

I agree.

Do you know who is resposible for reporting basketball scores? Does the SWAC rely on the individual schools to send them the scores or the referees of the games?

The home team is the official book and they are the ones that send in the scores, the stats and the report to the Swac office and the AP.

It's not the first time espn has gotten scores mixed up. Let's face it, it's the swac and they probably can care less.

So you are telling me that the SWAC office looks at ESPN to get its official scores? Am I the only person that sees something wrong with that? It is possible that Mr. Vowels could have someone at each game responsible for, follow me, CALLING the SWAC office to give official information concerning the game they just saw.

But hey, Im sure this is the BIG 3s fault too. I wonder how Hughes influenced this latest foul up. Simply put, Vowels should be ashamed of himself.

Get Ready,

So you are telling me that the SWAC office looks at ESPN to get its official scores?

No

Am I the only person that sees something wrong with that?

You go from someone posting an assumption and then asking as question to then running with it. You are weird.

It is possible that Mr. Vowels could have someone at each game responsible for, follow me, CALLING the SWAC office to give official information concerning the game they just saw.

Well, the standard procedure for NCAA around the country. Is for the host school sports information director and individuals under his advisement to keep the officials books, stats, information and etc. The requirement to keep an official record of game is mandated by the NCAA. The schools required to send a report to SWAC Office and many will choose to send a report out the AP wire. Like anything that is handled by man is prone to error. Especially if you to do not have the aditional resources to have things double and tripled check before it goes out on the wire along with the fact that this is often completed by graduate assistants and/or student workers. Unfortunately, an error will occur do to an individual typing/writing in the wrong numbers in the wrong space when sending or faxing out the report.

But hey, Im sure this is the BIG 3s fault too. I wonder how Hughes influenced this latest foul up.

I would not place this error on the Big 3 or Coach Hughes. But something happen at Southern when the report went into ESPN.

Simply put, Vowels should be ashamed of himself.

Hmmmmmmm!! I would think that he would not be excited and probably disappoinbted about such errors and miscommunications between SWAC staffs and administrations. But, ashamed would be over the top in my opinion.

Just providing an additional viewpoint.

I'll repeat it for those that may have miss it...............

It's not the first time espn has gotten scores mixed up. Let's face it, it's the swac and they probably can care less.

ESPN gets their information from

sportsticker/sportsnetwork...they call the game every 5 minutes asking for updates....SU does not have a press row phone from what I gather so no telling how confused the thing may have gotten....

Originally posted by the band fan
ESPN gets their information from

sportsticker/sportsnetwork...they call the game every 5 minutes asking for updates....SU does not have a press row phone from what I gather so no telling how confused the thing may have gotten....

:lmao: So I wonder how all the other sporting news media got it right.............. Genius :emlaugh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
So I wonder how all the other sporting news media got it right.............. Genius :emlaugh:

BD, all the sports media subscribe to one of the sports ticker outlets (i.e. Stats, Inc) for their scores. When I checked it and someone had posted that Su had actually won and not TSU, I went to Yahoo, ESPN, CBS Sportline & Sporting Network and they all had it posted the same way. After I clicked on the box score, it then showed the correct score so someone turned the information in wrong with the score inversed from what the box score stats had. A simple mistake that had nothing to do with the Swac office, they can only take what is given them originally.

Originally posted by Fiyah
BD, all the sports media subscribe to one of the sports ticker outlets (i.e. Stats, Inc) for their scores. When I checked it and someone had posted that Su had actually won and not TSU, I went to Yahoo, ESPN, CBS Sportline & Sporting Network and they all had it posted the same way. After I clicked on the box score, it then showed the correct score so someone turned the information in wrong with the score inversed from what the box score stats had. A simple mistake that had nothing to do with the Swac office, they can only take what is given them originally.

So you say............ when I checked it, it was right.Bottomline it's not the first time espn has gotten score wrong and I would think that with all the numbers coming into them anyone with a little common understanding could accept that.

whomever was at home handles all of that...I just think whomever answered the phone quoted the correct score but since both schools have similai initials, it got screwed.

Just to let you know, the SWAC office didn't received the actual stats for the game until Sunday around noon. The SID are suppose to email the stat pack to PR MAN RIGHT after the game. Apparently, the SID forgot!!!

PNeck019,

I believe it's the home team's responsibility to report the scores.

Universally, across the board it is. Because of our limited budget with-in the SWAC many of our sports information directors and sometimes their graduate assistants/students workers travel with the team and help the conference home team with the duties of submitted information to the news mediums and SWAC Office.

Really, it is an unfortunate mistake and even I must admit that as Get Ready stated it does look good on the conference when mis-information is dessiminated to the public. But, I am only interested in educated those that really want to know how things work at our institutions and our SWAC Offices. I am hoping that if the correct information is dessiminated about the functionality of our institutions and conference, then maybe will get involved or more involved for those that are somewhat involved as a fan.

But, in all honestly, I am surprised it does not happen more often when you take the time to seriously understand and review how our programs are budgeted in terms of operating with-in the scope of the rules required by the NCAA.

Thanks Jafus... It seems logical that the home team is responsible for the scores. The SWAC surely can't have someone at all schools in the conference.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Really, it is an unfortunate mistake and even I must admit that as Get Ready stated it does look good on the conference when mis-information is dessiminated to the public.

Well I just don't think because we're under budget that "ANY" of our institutions are so inept that they don't know their own schools won a game and reported that way.

I'd be more incline to believe it was on espn end as to having put the scores up wrong.

Well I just don't think because we're under budget that "ANY" of our institutions are so inept that they don't know their own schools won a game and reported that way.

I'd be more incline to believe it was on espn end as to having put the scores up wrong.

Actually JSU99 is right. The info the SWAC had (presumably from the home team) was that TSU won. There were no stats as of Sunday morning, only the incorrect final score.

If one had clicked on the team statistics for the 10 teams (which one me did), one would have seen that they were correct and updated for 8 of the ten teams, the exceptions being the two teams involved in the game we are discussing.

See also a post I made in another thread regarding tiebreakers. The SWAC official stats had SU at 8-10.

I won't bash anyone personally. I also am tired of the shorthanded excuse. Everybody's shorthanded. It's a fact of life if you're not at a SEC, ACC, Big Ten, etc. school. Being shorthanded and short-budgeted is not limited to the SWAC or HBCUs, nor is it limited to certain schools within HBCUs.

Stuff like this, justifiable or not, is what feeds the perception some have of the SWAC and some of its schools as being second-rate.

Bluedog,

You can believe what you want. But, it is a difference between being inept and making a mistake. If you believe that Southern University's sports information staff is beyond making mistakes that is on you. It can be as simple as transfering information from the score board and/or official post game stats sheet to a different official AP Sheet of paper that is faxed to the AP.

It can be as simple as a cognitive report viewing the score correctly with your sight, but simple in your hurry to get everything done and thinking about everything that you must complete in simply stating the score vice versa over the phone.

In all honesty, I have intently watch a close ball game looking at the score clock and the score an in the emotion of close game understanding and cheer with pride that our team have one and simply five minutes later could not honestly tell you the score. I could tell you around the score and I could even told tell that we won by a point or two on a last second shot by a certain player. But, could not tell you the score. Think About It.

So, it is not as simple as knowing whether their respective school won the game or not. But it about actually transfering the correct information.

I am very comfortable in understanding what transpires between the sports information department during week of, prior too, during, and after a sporting event. Again you can believe what you want and if you believe the mistakes was on ESPN parts then so be it.

Really, as I stated it is not something that the SWAC Office or Southern University should be proud of. But, in the larger scheme of things it is not something to die over. We have larger issues in my opinion that we should be solving and stressing ourselves over.

Back