Common's New Album: BE

I copped it on Tuesday!

Very nice.... :tup:

My joint is "Testify".
That beat...and the sample of ol' girl on that hook! :D

Even though Kanye West produced it, it's not TOO "Kanye-ish", like we're used to hearing. (thank goodness :) )

I think he'll recapture many of his fans that he lost from the Electric Circus cd.

This album is truly inspirational. Thank you Common for bringing Hip-Hop back to where it belongs. :tup: I haven't had this feeling since Reflection Eternal's "Train of Thought"

I'm feelin' this Verse. Chi-City

I rap with the passion of Christ, ***** cross me
Took it out of space and *****z thought they lost me
I'm back like a chiroprac' with b-boy survival rap
It ain't ninety-fo' yo we can't go back
The game need a makeover
My man retired, I'ma takeover
Tell these halftime *****z break's over
I'm raw, hustlas get your baking soda
Too many rape the culture
Leave rappers with careers and they faith over
It's a war goin' on, you can't fake bein' a soldier
In the basement, listening to tapes of Ultra-
Magnetic, to the fact the messiah is black
I'll turn the TV down, we can take it higher than that
I wonder if these whack *****z realize they whack
And they the reason that my people say they tired of rap
Inspired by black Muslims and Christians
Pushin' cutlasses, dope, and other traditions
In the conditions of the city, the city
The city, the city, the city, the city
Come on

Man that Common cd is the truth. Every song is good, but I really LOVE Testify. And BE makes you think about things so much differently; when John Legend comes on at the end of that song it makes you feel like black music is really making transformation in the right direction.

GRAM4LIFE said:
Freeze, you already know I got it. And you know how long I've had it...

I've had it a long time ago. I just felt that it was worthy of buying and I wanted to get the limited edition with the DVD.

I was never a Common Fan, but dude came with it on this CD, I guess with Kanye doing his thing on it, has helped a lot.

I think Kanye West is getting TOO MUCH credit for this album.

COMMON, has always been COMMON, no matter who produced his tracks.
He was regarded as one of the greatest lyricists before anyone knew what a Kanye was.

I can agree that Kanye's presence has helped peek the interest of many "non-fans" simply because of the familiarity of his name/brand, and that doesn't hurt the pocket...but it's all Com Sense. :cool:

The album is off the chain, I can't think of a wack song on it! Can't say that about alot of rap nowadays. a la 50cent.

I listen to it once and the jury is still out. It's cool. I'm trying to figure out if it's better than "like water for chocalate". That cd NEVER got it's true props. I'm not mad that I bought it. Maybe I'm just salty that his tour is not coming through this area and he is performing 2 nights straight at the House of Blues this week. The d@m Roots and Floetry were sold out for there performance this past saturday for d@m near 3 weeks so I didn't even get an oppurtunity to purchase tickets. Yeah theres a correalation. :lol:

The CD is sold out here in DC. Not that I know how to get around to find it, but the last couple of places I have been are out. :smh:

JSU*Toi said:
The CD is sold out here in DC. Not that I know how to get around to find it, but the last couple of places I have been are out. :smh:

:smh:

I had to get my copy in VA.

I know I'm late but I had to put my comments in.....this CD is phenomenal. i just put it in and let it play, there isn't a cut that i don't like. But Faithful and Love Is.... are my favorites. Common and Kanye are a nice combo. the production doesn't overpower the lyrics like I expected. And the beats are more relaxed than electric circus.

"Testify" is smoove. Even if people don't like Kanye as a person, he has brought something to the game. These are some of the few marks currently that could have held their own when "true" talent ruled the indusrty. Hammer and Vanilla Ice never counted. When I first heard "College Dropout" I was like "There was shorty that was actually paying attention in the late 80's early 90's.

Common Sense...one word to describe this CD

DOPE

Man I haven't heard music like this in a long time...that is some good music..good decent hip-hop. You can play the whole CD all the way through.

My favorite rhymes or lyrics are

"you spit hot garbage son of SANFORD" LOL

Or

" What you rapping fo' to get fame or get RICH, I slap a ****a like you, and tell'em RICK JAMES B*TCH"
Mad tight.

I love it. :D oh the beats are bangin'

I told ya it takes me a while to give a sincere critque of a cd. I can honsetly say the coldest cut is

IT'S YOUR WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That song had me like this :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

It just captured the essence of Chi more than "Chi-City" (They ask me where hip-hop is goin', it's Chicagoan. :lol: ) and "The Corner". He verbally illustrated the decline of street life/relationships from when he was a "shorty" to the present. With the exclamation point

"These are the children of crack and rap, blacks done lack
Self-esteem, yo we forgot the dream
On our Jeffersons y'all but we forgot the theme
In the Chi, we even rootin for a garbage team"

OOOOOOOOOOHH WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I can honestly say, this cd would have held it's own between 87'-92'. He straight leap frogged over some dudes with this one. But without that time period there would be no him. Please people respect the hip-hop heritage. All "ice" don't glitter.

Back