Comegy headed to Grambling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/mperrin.ssf?/base/sports/110060031894140.xml#continue

Comegy could move to higher profile job
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Rick Comegy doesn't look like a football coach.

At 51 years old, Comegy's enjoyed too many alumni chicken dinners to carry the svelte frame he had as an all-conference defensive back at Millersville University in Lancaster, Pa.

In casual conversation, one almost has to lean forward to hear the soft-spoken Tuskegee University head coach.

Now, a practice field or game-time sideline aren't places for casual conversation. It's apparent that Comegy is able to get his point across when necessary.

Regardless of how he looks or sounds, Comegy is a football coach - one of the best around. Soon, he could be leaving Tuskegee behind for a bigger, higher-profile job.

Comegy's name has popped up in connection with a possible opening at Grambling - the prestige historically black college football program in the nation.

Closing in on the end of his ninth season as head coach at Tuskegee, Comegy has a 78-24 record. With next Thursday's Turkey Day Classic and a Dec.4 Pioneer Bowl meeting with Shaw ahead, the Golden Tigers are 9-1 - with a loss with no time remaining to unbeaten Albany State.

Comegy is 96-49 in 13 years as a head coach, and 22 of those losses came in his first two seasons at Cheney (Pa.) University. After back-to-back 0-11 seasons, Comegy returned to an assistant's job at Central (Ohio) State for a couple of years.

When he took over as head coach there in 1994, he took the team to an 8-2 record and the NAIA playoffs. The next season, Central won the NAIA championship before Comegy left for Tuskegee.

At Tuskegee, Comegy has four Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference titles, three Pioneer Bowl victories and four 10-win seasons - including a 12-0 mark in 2000 when the Golden Tigers were named the national champions of the historically black colleges and universities.

Comegy said he likes being a part of the Tuskegee community and he has a warm feeling for alumni, faculty and staff at the school.

"I've tried to work my tail off to give back because of all they've given me," he said. "I don't know when our relationship will end, but I do know at this point in time in my life, I think I've given everything I could give them. They've done a lot for me. I feel complete.

"I know things are ringing out there now. It will have to be something that's real that I don't have to chase. If it's good for me and my family, then I'll look at it. If not, I'm happy here."

Comegy left TU for a while when he took the job as head coach at Norfolk State after the 2002 season, but he returned four weeks later. Last season, the Tigers slumped to a 5-6 finish. Comegy rededicated himself, his staff and his team for this season and stressed discipline even more.

"I thought we needed to change more this year. We don't allow anybody to wear facial hair. We don't go with braids and stuff like other schools do," Comegy said.

"We want everybody to be one as a unit. Once we've got that oneness, we could develop discipline and develop that team concept. When everybody is an individual, that's hard to do." News staff writer Mike Perrin covers state colleges. Write him at mperrin@bhamnews.com.

Deuce said:
Comegy is 96-49 in 13 years as a head coach, and 22 of those losses came in his first two seasons at Cheney (Pa.) University. After back-to-back 0-11 seasons, Comegy returned to an assistant's job at Central (Ohio) State for a couple of years.

Hmmm. Interesting, as Jafus would say.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Comegy's name has popped up in connection with a possible opening at Grambling - the prestige historically black college football program in the nation.
This bold statement is the only statement one should note.

If Comegy takes this job, AND I DOUBT IT, I wonder how long it will be before he starts crying about moving or ending the Bayou Classic so that he can go to the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Deuce said:
If Comegy takes this job, AND I DOUBT IT, I wonder how long it will be before he starts crying about moving or ending the Bayou Classic so that he can go to the playoffs. :rolleyes:

If he is the guy. Hopefully in his first year.

Hopefully, this will give the Grambling players some inspiration to play well in the Classic next week! :spin:

GSUperTiger said:
This bold statement is the only statement one should note.

Dude, y'all can only ride Rob's coattails for so long.

Y'all do have a great history, but what is it doing for y'all lately?

PNeck019 said:
It'd be even nicer if it was grammatically correct.
He obviously did not go to Grambling, but he got the "in the nation" part correct. I would have used "world", but I got the point.

PNeck019 said:

SWAC CHAMPS for 3 years straight,2000-02. Not to mention we were one game away from returning for a 4th title in 03.

PNeck019 said:

See my signature (2002), and countless other articles from reputable sources. You might want to tune into our nationally televised game on 11/27. The NBC crew does a 4hour segment only on Grambling. When you have a great history it lives forever. People are still talking about this guy too.

Lawd I wish he does :lmao: if any of you think a new coach will have any say-so about what happens to the BC...................well :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Deuce said:

There are only a few schools that Comegy would consider and Grambling is one of them.

Why would he complain about the Bayou Classic when he has not been at TU in 9 years?

He did not have to....it's obvious. Besides why would you leave where you are on top for a smalltime program ( ie...well this is the Sports Board). You say how he did NSU. But I bet I could name a few schools he would jump at.

Two in the MEAC, three in the SWAC and one independent. In other words, bigtime schools.

^^ Exactly, that guy played "NSU" like Carrie at her prom. Personally, I would have a problem hiring a guy that commits to a school and then lies to the very same school.

How is he going to sit in a living room and get an 18 year old athlete to commit to him when he is not a man of his word.

Just my $19.11....

Makaho 2.0 said:
^^ Exactly, that guy played "NSU" like Carrie at her prom. Personally, I would have a problem hiring a guy that commits to a school and then lies to the very same school.

How is he going to sit in a living room and get an 18 year old athlete to commit to him when he is not a man of his word.

Just my $19.11....

^^^^^^^^^^^
I totally agree...i'll take it one step further...if he pulls that kinda isht at Norfolk State (which is in a better area, talentwise, than 'Skegee), what you think what kind of a stunt he'll pull if he knows Grambling, or any other big-name HBCU will do. He might just bait-n-switch Skegee to use the Grambling rumors as leverage to get him a better deal at 'Skegee.

BTW, did Comegy get any perks after the Norfolk fiasco?

Not to mention how he screwed those guys he had "hired" as his assistants at Norfolk.

:smh:

He didn't even have the decency to call those guys and let them know he wasn't going to Norfolk and there were no jobs waiting for them.
Some of them had resigned from prior jobs, moved their families to Norfolk, and reported for work. Comegy hadn't told them a damn thing about him going back to Tuskegee.
:tdown::tdown:

just all around low down and low rent!!!!!!!!
:tdown::tdown::tdown:

I don't see Gram taking a risk on this guy. He backed out of one deal who is to say that he will not again. My guess, if the money is right......Fobbs

JROCK said:
. . . He backed out of one deal . . .

Didn't Comegy pull a similar stunt on Morgan State a few years ago, also? He didn't take it as far as he did with Norfolk St., but it is my understanding that he led them along for a while until 'Skegee gave him a little more cheese, and you know rats love cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back