College Admissions: Who should we really let in.

I mean bruh some of these folks act like PWC's got secret wonder twin powers or something. :lol: Life i simple, either you know circuit analysis or you don't, you know calculus or you don't, you can program or you can't, you know physics or you don't, you know linear algebra or linear vectors or you don't. I have even heard folks say "Man our books are more advanced than yalls". :shame: Anything to to make themselves look better. I tell them like this, the only thing you got better than me at a PWC is student loans. :lol: You paid 50K for school and I paid 13K to make the same amount of money you make. You lost, and I won. :lol:

:lol:

I mean bruh some of these folks act like PWC's got secret wonder twin powers or something.

They don't but what they do have over HBCUs is the media, stronger alum bases and perception.

How many of HBCU alum do you see on tv, in magazines, movies or on the radio that our kids listen/watch? Doesn't matter if the top 20 business CEOs are from HBCUs-the sources that reveal that are ignored by our kids and most black media.

Duke, UCLA, Texas, USC, North Carolina and others are going to get kids based on who they are. They have a history that folks know about.

Others will attract kids because who went there and a desire to say you have something in common with someone "famous". Or they think it's a pathway to a job.

Had a situation with a kid wanting to get into acting and figured going to a California PWC was the best route to be near casting calls.

I told him to keep his behind in Texas-look at Paul Quinn, PV, Tx Southern. Why? All are CHEAPER, same education provided and you stay in the state where most voice work, commericals and CASTING CALLS are done. Easier to get hired when you face LESS competition.

And as always it's hard to get kids to attend a HBCU when HBCU alum are the main ones ripping the schools.

Here are some of my two cents, and I could say more. These days some kids who have done well in high school still need a lot of help in becoming good to great students on the college level. Personally, I think that they have been taught to do as oppose to also think. I also feel in part that with students having to take so many tests to get to the next grade and graduate that we are not creating thinkers but only doers (teaching to the test). When I was in school and we could not answer the question, the teacher commanded (or demanded) that we think. We may need more of teaching them to think instead of just to do. I have a lot of friends who teach, and they have notice some of these things (doing as oppose to thinking), whether they are at a large or small school.

As for the graduation rates, I heard former FAMU president say something that is not said a lot. A lot of students leave school because of a lack of money. It is not new. Dr. Humphries, the former FAMU president, said that there are a good number of HBCU students who leave school but come back to finish over six-years later from that same HBCU. (Note. There is that six-year window for graduating.) He said that it happens more, students finishing from the same school after six-years of their first enrollment, than at the big schools.

As for teaching students, I think that since teaching is more important or valued in my opinion at an HBCU than a big research one institution it has helped our grads when they finish. This in part or partly has allowed our grads to finish graduate school at these research one institutions and work successfully in private industry and government.

I mean bruh some of these folks act like PWC's got secret wonder twin powers or something. :lol: Life i simple, either you know circuit analysis or you don't, you know calculus or you don't, you can program or you can't, you know physics or you don't, you know linear algebra or linear vectors or you don't. I have even heard folks say "Man our books are more advanced than yalls". :shame: Anything to to make themselves look better. I tell them like this, the only thing you got better than me at a PWC is student loans. :lol: You paid 50K for school and I paid 13K to make the same amount of money you make. You lost, and I won. :lol:

That's probably the best statement I've read on any message board in a long time.

Life is simple. Either you can or can't. Either you will or won't. Either you do or don't.

Good stuff.

They don't but what they do have over HBCUs is the media, stronger alum bases and perception.

How many of HBCU alum do you see on tv, in magazines, movies or on the radio that our kids listen/watch? Doesn't matter if the top 20 business CEOs are from HBCUs-the sources that reveal that are ignored by our kids and most black media.

Duke, UCLA, Texas, USC, North Carolina and others are going to get kids based on who they are. They have a history that folks know about.

Others will attract kids because who went there and a desire to say you have something in common with someone "famous". Or they think it's a pathway to a job.

Had a situation with a kid wanting to get into acting and figured going to a California PWC was the best route to be near casting calls.

I told him to keep his behind in Texas-look at Paul Quinn, PV, Tx Southern. Why? All are CHEAPER, same education provided and you stay in the state where most voice work, commericals and CASTING CALLS are done. Easier to get hired when you face LESS competition.

And as always it's hard to get kids to attend a HBCU when HBCU alum are the main ones ripping the schools.[/QUOTE]

You are not kidding. I remember going to Picadilly,and the waitress was talking about her daughter deciding between LSU, SU, and SLU. She said her daughter was going to go ahead and go to SU because she wants to be a nursing major. Two men of African-American descent told her, " Don't let her go to SU, she would do better going to BRCC." I wanted to turn around and ask them if they have a degree from SU, or if they even attended a post-secondary institution.

Not arguing with that. However, having a less than 33% on-time graduation rate is bad also.

The grad rate at JSU is now 47% but as stated earlier, most HBCUs lose students to finances, not becasue they just couldn't make it. As we see more second generation students come to college, I think we will see improvements in grad rates. Students at HBCUs used to be at a disadvantage of simply "not knowing". These kids would get loans they didn't NEED and now they want to get salty about having to pay them back when they were getting loans to buy furniture, cars, clothes, etc...

You are not kidding. I remember going to Picadilly,and the waitress was talking about her daughter deciding between LSU, SU, and SLU. She said her daughter was going to go ahead and go to SU because she wants to be a nursing major. Two men of African-American descent told her, " Don't let her go to SU, she would do better going to BRCC." I wanted to turn around and ask them if they have a degree from SU, or if they even attended a post-secondary institution.

you should have...

Or not so much ask them if they went to SU/college. You could have just simply stated that putting BRCC in the same sentence with SU is like comparing apples and oranges...and went on to explain.

I've jumped in several conversations when I hear people downing HBCU's and they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I do it in a respectful manner, drop a little knowledge about the HBCU's I'm familiar with and leave them with that. I'm not trying to have them fill out the application by the end of the conversation...my objective is to just let them know HBCU's can compete with the "best of them"!

I am still laughing at Unkwon coming in here bragging like he making big bucks because he went to Ga Tech. :lol: That ninja said "Yall still don't make more than me". :lmao: Man that is the stupid shyt I be talking about. He assumes because he went to GT his salary is more than all of ours. :lol:

you should have...

Or not so much ask them if they went to SU/college. You could have just simply stated that putting BRCC in the same sentence with SU is like comparing apples and oranges...and went on to explain.

I've jumped in several conversations when I hear people downing HBCU's and they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I do it in a respectful manner, drop a little knowledge about the HBCU's I'm familiar with and leave them with that. I'm not trying to have them fill out the application by the end of the conversation...my objective is to just let them know HBCU's can compete with the "best of them"!

Yes, and the reason some misinformed people would even try to compare SU to the community college is because BRCC's campus looks better than ours. I mean their campus is only 10 years old, while ours is close to 100. Our buildings and infrastructure is much older than theirs. My thing is, why discourage from attending a 4-year university, especially when she is going into one of our stronger programs?

SLT, you are correct dear,RIF reading is fundamental. :lol: That is why unknown1 got mad because no one praised GT. :lmao:

From my past experience in BR, they probably didn't. What I noticed is that most of the Blacks who downed SU didn't even go to college at all, much less SU or LSU. They all would go on what they "heard" was wrong with the school. I even knew some people who went as far as to not want their daughters to date guys from SU because they thought all we did was smoke weed and act a fool.

I can admit that there were some issues at SU both when I was there and beforehand. What I think hurts the school's rep is that a parent or elder in 2010 is still basing their advice on what happened to someone they knew years ago. The school still has room for improvement (just as many other HBCUs and PWCs do), but a lot of the negative talk doesn't even apply these days. Your niece not having AC way back when the first President Bush was in office or your cousin not getting their refund check quickly back when Pac was still alive doesn't speak to someone else's current situation.

I may be biased, but I would steer a potential Nursing major to SU if they plan to stay local. At this point, it seems like SU and Our Lady of the Lake are attracting most of the Nursing majors.

Back