Coach Tony Hughes named Interim Head Coach

Good.....I wish them all the bad luck possible. I knew they were plucked up in the head when that kid from NOLA wasn't their starting QB this year and put on this fake battle for that position. They can eat all of the Mississippi shiatsu they can muster.

I wonder if he would have been given a real chance to be head coach if he had been successful at JSU.

He’s been a loyal assistant a MSU for many years. They’ve had a black head coach before.

Hmmm....

They factor his record at JSU based on lack of funds and total program. It was like a cultural shock to someone leaving the SEC for the SWAC.

I pray he gets.

To all of you speaking negatively against him...remember he is a black man and we are always complaining about there not being enough of us as head coaches.

True, however, unlike the SWAC.... the SEC has proven to care less about race than the SWAC and more about results than the SWAC.
Unfortunate, stone cold hard FACT.

True, however, unlike the SWAC.... the SEC has proven to care less about race than the SWAC and more about results than the SWAC.
Unfortunate, stone cold hard FACT.

Hhhhhmmmm! Well now. This is an interesting comment. Are you sure you want to open that door? LOL!!!

Hhhhhmmmm! Well now. This is an interesting comment. Are you sure you want to open that door? LOL!!!

As it relates to head coaching positions, it is true.

I don't mind HBCUs having a preference for black coaches, but I do mind when that preference evades common sense.

The SEC even has a black AD now. And that's probably more than most other Power 5 conference

As far as Tony Hughes goes... maybe he would do better at Mississippi State than he did at Jackson State. MSU has low expectations. And when folks say "God is still in the blessin business" I don't think they were referring to Jackson State Football.

I don't remember.

I think they hired Croom to avoid probation. Jackie Sherrill had let the program get buck wild. They hired Croom to clean it up and take less NCAA punishment than if Sherrill had stayed.

I think that's how it went. Could be wrong.

You are probably correct. I just remember MSU was in some kind of mess when they hired Croom.

Crooms was hired because at the time, SEC teams were getting pressure to hire a black coach.......

They factor his record at JSU based on lack of funds and total program. It was like a cultural shock to someone leaving the SEC for the SWAC.
Dude even tho the SEC would look down on the swac, MSU still thinks highly of JSU in there conference. Iknow many MSU fans and they like TOny but questioned JSU reasoning for hiring him as HC. Everybody thats an assistant coach isnt necessarily Head Coach material and thats on ALL LEVELS. Jay Hopson had a better resume than Hughes and came to a then low resource or in your words "LACK OF FUNDS" alcorn football program and they haven't looked back since. Tony just isnt HC nor HBCU material period. In order to coach at an HBCU, you first have to believe in HBCU's. Lack of funds would be like when Valley couldnt come up with that $25,000 Comegy was asking for on top of that $100k or like how Valley cant afford to fund full scholarships.

Last edited:
Back