Blacks at white schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if you all did a comparative analysis of budgets for institutions of similar size, you would be suprised that the funding is not radically different any longer. I believer higher educaction suits brought some equilibrium to funding.

I think where the difference is would be endowment and foundation money. HBCU(s) are not in the same league when it comes down to this facet. A myriad of reasons exist, never the less it is reality.

Well, you can cry. Don't forget, the current Chancellor at UAPB, who father was the President at UAPB also, has KIDS who graduated from other universities and at least attended other universities (PWC). He is the chancellor and a graduate of UAPB/AM&N and his own kids went elsewhere. I never questioned it, nor do I think anybody else has the right to question it. Its was a decision that his kids, his familiy, and his money made.

I'm sure there are people who graduated from Arkansas Baptist who strive to send their kids somewhere other than Arkansas Baptist, although it is a HBCU. I hope to direct my kids to take the best opportunity for them, if UAPB is the best at that time, then that is where they will go.

First of all SPERM! Get your facts straight! His children did not, I repeat did NOT go to a PWC! Both of his daughters went to HBCUs and his son went to UAPB! One daughter went to Southern University and the other went to Jackson University! He has three children and ALL OF THEM WENT TO HBCUS! THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
First of all SPERM! Get your facts straight! His children did not, I repeat did NOT go to a PWC! Both of his daughters went to HBCUs and his son went to UAPB! One daughter went to Southern University and the other went to Jackson University! He has three children and ALL OF THEM WENT TO HBCUS! THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

No dear, Lawarence transfered from UA to UAPB and completed his degree in Computer Science at UAPB. I know because we had classes together. We were taking classes together back when you were learning how to walk.

Lawrence Davis III might have GRADUATED from UAPB, but he BEGAN his higher education career at the UNIVERSITY of ARKANSAS. Last I checked, that was a PWC.

I can recall that, because at the time, Chancellor Davis was a Dean, Mrs. Davis was a teacher at PBHS, and my Daddy was splitting his gut laughing at it all, since Dean Davis was beside himself that LA III was going there. LA III was determined, though, that he was NOT going to UAPB. Given his name, and the weight it carries on campus, I can't really say I blame him. I don't blame any of the Davis kids for not wanting to go there.

I don't know what brought him back to UAPB, but I know that sure ain't where he started. :nod:

Lawrence Davis III might have GRADUATED from UAPB, but he BEGAN his higher education career at the UNIVERSITY of ARKANSAS. Last I checked, that was a PWC.

I can recall that, because at the time, Chancellor Davis was a Dean, Mrs. Davis was a teacher at PBHS, and my Daddy was splitting his gut laughing at it all, since Dean Davis was beside himself that LA III was going there. LA III was determined, though, that he was NOT going to UAPB. Given his name, and the weight it carries on campus, I can't really say I blame him. I don't blame any of the Davis kids for not wanting to go there.

I don't know what brought him back to UAPB, but I know that sure ain't where he started. :nod:

From the horses mouth itself and so was the previous statement not me talking. He began his college career at UAPB transfered to U of A because he wanted to an engineer transfered back and graduated from UAPB because he wanted a change in major. Again from the horses mouth.

From the horses mouth itself and so was the previous statement not me talking. He began his college career at UAPB transfered to U of A because he wanted to an engineer transfered back and graduated from UAPB because he wanted a change in major. Again from the horses mouth.

Which, last I checked, was a PWC ...

I remember when "THE WORD" got out that he was going to transfer to UAPB. Since his dad was the DEAN, the rumor was the instructors were going to bow down to him. That is exactly what happened. Almost every programming class was giving praise to Lawarence.

Interesting posts. I think the kid needs to go where they feel more comfortable and what school has what they need academically. Whether it is a PWC or HBCU.

I love our HBCUs and I am proud of what we have contributed. But one thing I am seeing in corporate America is that more and more black kids from PWCs than ever. I also see companies not as enthusiatic about recruiting from the HBCUs as they used too. I have had to battle that a many day at work to convince them that HBCUs are still where you need to go. So many companies think with the rise of black and other minorities enrollments at the PWCs give them an out on not recruiting the HBCUs like they used to. Corporations are still enamored more with a black from Princeton, Yale, Harvard, MIT etc............

Speaking of UAPB. I met an old school brother who was a VP at 3M here in Minneapolis -St. Paul that is an UAPB alum, when I first moved here. He just retired a few years ago. Very well known in corporate circles. He was instrumental in all of the diversity initatives at 3M. I think his wife either went PB or Southern...............well all their kids went to schools like Duke and Princeton. I used to be mad about that kind of thing but I understand. Some schools do buy you into the circle of who you need to know. I see it all the time. Look at the black elected Gov from Mass. Harvard Grad. Believe me that meant something to them white folks.

Unknown is right about how these kids think these days. Especially from the more affluent black families. Not to mention alot of these states have incentives for kids to attend some of the PWC schools. So it makes it easier. All we can do is educate our black kids that HBCUs still have alot to offer. What I don't like is when a kid or their family just crosses off even thinking about going to a HBCU. Kids up here whether they are from the hood or in suburbs have very limited knowledge of HBCUs. It is a sad thing. :(

Santa Ana will do that to you. May as well be from Orange County or Simi Valley. But I do understand, when you don't know you just don't know. Many people I talk to who went to PWC have a had time commuincating and relating to people who went to HBCU, experience wise. There is absolutely nothing like a HBCU.

I was at homecoming this past weekend at Band Rehersal Friday night and this brother who attended a PWC was really blown away by what he was seeing and that was at band rehersal. He said his kids were attending a HBCU. My daughter is a senior at JSU, when she was in high school all her talk was attending USM. My response, I hope they pay for it because i'm not. Of course I knew she was going to JSU all along, she loves JSU and so do I.

That's what I'm talking about, my daughter is a cheerleader at UAPB and she wanted to go to another school that I won't name and I made it clear, my money and transportation will be going to UAPB or you can take your money and buy you a car and go wherever you choose. She loves it at UAPB and I know she will perform well in society when she graduates. Because her parents are great role models!!!!!

So basically you left your child no sayso in where SHE went to college. Yea thats definitely a good way to go about it.:shame:

Go to an upper middle class black neighborhood and take a poll on high school seniors with choices of SWAC schools vs Georgia State or UGA and you will see what I mean.
bad choice with UGA, cause it aint like so many black students are beating down the doors to get there, other than athletes of course. LOL

I will say this again, the next 10 years is going to be very interesting for the black race. Stay tune because it's going to be a heck of a ride.

So basically you left your child no sayso in where SHE went to college. Yea thats definitely a good way to go about it.:shame:

Seems to me that he gave her choice and made it clear on where HIS money was going.
If she wanted USM bad enough, she could have gone and still made things hapapen for herself.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Can you elaborate?

Look at us in 96 versus 06. The answer is there. We are study trying to get away from what made us who we are. Nothing is wrong with advancing, but a man who doesn't know his history will always lose the battle. Other races respect their heritage. Black folks don't. Look at surburb black kids and look at inner city black kids. It's a big difference now vs 10 years ago. Money can not define you or your child.

Look at us in 96 versus 06. The answer is there. We are study trying to get away from what made us who we are. Nothing is wrong with advancing, but a man who doesn't know his history will always lose the battle. Other races respect their heritage. Black folks don't. Look at surburb black kids and look at inner city black kids. It's a big difference now vs 10 years ago. Money can not define you or your child.

Exactly, man I've been trying to get people to see this for a long time.

I got ya. I started a new thread for this topic.

He left her plenty of say in where she went. He just told her where HIS money was going.

Loans, grants, work-study, part time job, etc. Had she wanted to go to USM, SHE could have made it happen.

I was so ready to be from under the specter of being "Little McMurray," "Dr. Mac's daughter," "Jeffrey's sister," "Eva's baby," "that MCMURRAY kid," that I didn't even APPLY to UAPB. I got accepted to every PWC and HBCU to which I applied. I chose one, and was on my merry way. :tup:

Daddy bought me a car the week before I was supposed to leave and said, "Well, I don't know about you, but a car I'm paying for won't leave Pine Bluff." I said, "Well, how I'm supposed to go to college? I didn't apply at UAPB."

Guess my dumb azz musta forgotten that he was Chair of the Business Department at the time. I had enrollment papers, a schedule, and an academic scholarship, and didn't even know it. :rolleyes: HE knew, though, that my overly independent azz wasn't going ANYWHERE without transportation - to this DAY, I don't like to ride shotgun. If I can't DRIVE, I can't GO ...

He and his "good way to go about it" were most definitely the best thing to ever happen to me! :nod:

He left her plenty of say in where she went. He just told her where HIS money was going.

Loans, grants, work-study, part time job, etc. Had she wanted to go to USM, SHE could have made it happen.

I was so ready to be from under the specter of being "Little McMurray," "Dr. Mac's daughter," "Jeffrey's sister," "Eva's baby," "that MCMURRAY kid," that I didn't even APPLY to UAPB. I got accepted to every PWC and HBCU to which I applied. I chose one, and was on my merry way. :tup:

Daddy bought me a car the week before I was supposed to leave and said, "Well, I don't know about you, but a car I'm paying for won't leave Pine Bluff." I said, "Well, how I'm supposed to go to college? I didn't apply at UAPB."

Guess my dumb azz musta forgotten that he was Chair of the Business Department at the time. I had enrollment papers, a schedule, and an academic scholarship, and didn't even know it. :rolleyes: HE knew, though, that my overly independent azz wasn't going ANYWHERE without transportation - to this DAY, I don't like to ride shotgun. If I can't DRIVE, I can't GO ...

He and his "good way to go about it" were most definitely the best thing to ever happen to me! :nod:

:lol:
I would have loved to have met your father. :tup:

Absolutely! What you have failed to realize is that we as parents are suppose to steer our children in the right direction. You as well as I know that children make decisions without logically thinking, and we as parents have to keep them in check. A child doesn't have a sayso when they are under the care of a parent. The parent has EVERY RIGHT to spend "THEIR MONEY" where THEY so CHOSE. My good friend told me that his daughter wanted to go to NYU, so he asked her to tell him something about NYU and she didn't know that much about it. He told her baby, you can go wherever you want and I'll be behind you 100% but, your money and car will be at JSU. Now he tells me that he can't get her to come home because she loves JSU. BTW, when I was growing up I didn't like the food selection in the household, but I had to eat it because "I HAD NO CHOICE". They broke it down plain and simple. When that feeling starts to pinch you in the inside, your brain will tell you what to do. I didn't have a clue what the he// they were talking about until they saw me later on that night licking the plate and their statement was....." I guess your brain is working after all". Now that I'm a man and I no longer depend on my parents "financially".....I eat what the he// I want. Oh and how can I not forget to tell this one. I was watching the documentary on Bill Gates and he dropped out of Harvard his junior year to run his business. His parent were "MULTI MILLIONAIRES" and they told him if he went back to school and graduated, then they were going to pass the family wealth to him. If he didn't graduate then he won't receive a dime. He told his parents "keep your money because by this time next year I'll have enough money to retire". Well we all know what happened to Mr. Gates and "HIS MONEY". The same story applies to Michael Dell and Dell computers. He dropped out of school after his freshman year, and his parents told him he was making the biggest mistake of his life. Well we all know what happened to Dell computers. My point is that they made it work without using their parents "money", and if a child wants to have a sayso then follow Gates, Dell and so many others who we don't know about.

:lol:

sad. I cant picture ever telling my child "youll go to my alma mater or i'm not helping you do schit." Guess I can't understand the way some of the oldheads think so I won't try.

Kids up here whether they are from the hood or in suburbs have very limited knowledge of HBCUs. It is a sad thing. :(

I live in Illinois and it's hard for kids to know about HBCUs because the majority of them are located in the South, and many students probably would perfer to go to school close to where they live. Also, maybe their parents were not from the South and they don't know about HBCUs themselves. I think with those factors you have to give the kids a pass on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back