Blacks at white schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you thoughts on black kids going to white colleges for education and sports play? Are white schools better? Do black kids at black schools have low moral and constantly wish they were at white schools?
I have personally heard remarks from black students talking about they would have a better chance at getting drafted to any pro sport especially football if they were at a white school! I think different!

If your priority is simply education and play, then go wherever gives you the best chance to be successful at them BOTH. If the culture of the environment is also a priority then give that its proper weight in the equation and go wherever you get the best change a being successful with all THREE.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If your priority is simply education and play, then go wherever gives you the best chance to be successful at them BOTH. If the culture of the environment is also a priority then give that its proper weight in the equation and go wherever you get the best change a being successful with all THREE.

What do you mean by "culture of the environment"? Can you please explain?

What are your thoughts on black kids going to white colleges for education and sports play? Are white schools better? Do black kids at black schools have low morale and constantly wish they were at white schools? I have personally heard remarks from black students talking about they would have a better chance at getting drafted to any pro sport especially football if they were at a white school! I think different!
Depending on what they want to achieve, some would have a better chance at a "white" school and some would have a better chance at an HBCU. The answer is different for each individual. We are all better off for having a broader selection of colleges and universities from which to to choose.

problem is these kids now don't understand the consequences of entering these big schools now - especially athletes.

Most of them don't qualify under regular university standards, just NCAA, so that means they can't major in traditional college majors, just things desgined for athletes which is something you can't really use after college

secondly, alot of them don't see that it's a business so when your thrown under the bus they should know nothing will save them.

third, alot of kids are now "pressured" by these big schools to commit early or "lose" their scholarship slot therefore creating pressure. So now, you got kids committing early becasue of a name and no visit taken just to appease coaches when in reality we control the entire process

also, you got "handlers" now selling these kids anywhere they can make a dollar....

as for the regular student.....

Alot of time it depends on the environment you grow up in as to where college may be an option. Kids don't make wise decisions, alot go just for the name and relaize it's not as easy it looks. Also, culturally, alot of these schools cater to the white student socially so your forced to hang with them to enjoy the full "State U" college experience or find a black group to hang out with which now comes to close to trying to live a HBCU experience in an all-white setting.

Depending on what they want to achieve, some would have a better chance at a "white" school and some would have a better chance at an HBCU. The answer is different for each individual. We are all better off for having a broader selection of colleges and universities from which to to choose.

Actually my comment was that personally attendin an hbcu. I have found love for all hbcus. I have gone to nothing but white schools ALL of my life and I didn't like too much. But nevertheless I don't think that black students should just attend black schools which would defeat the purpose of the civils rights movement, but appreciate it. The black kids that I talk to that attend an hbcu think its better at a white school but never attened a white school. They constantly put hbcus down in one way or another. evn in highschool when we were invited to go to an hbcu for a visit our counselor disregarded all of the white students and pulled the black students to the side and out of seven black students only 2 including myself attended the function. I personally feel its sad that alot of black kids don't give hbcus a second look only because they THINK its better at a white school. From personal experience! I've talked to alot of black kids.

as for the civil rights movement.....have we really gained anything as a whole?

Our black neighborhoods have died, schools suffered and people have really forgotten where they come from

I think when it comes to education a black student and their parents should do what they feel is the best when it comes to education. Some HBCUs are better than the larger state schools in certain educational areas, and some larger state schools are better than HBCUs when it comes to education in certain areas. As for athletics I think it does help--especially in football for a black student-athlete to go the large state school because that kid will get more exposure on a national level. Also, many of the larger state schools have better athletic facilities than HBCUs and can offer more full scholarships as well. But I'm sick and tired of black people asking is it OK for black students to go to the "white school"? or is it OK for the white kids to go to the "black school?" We need to get over this race thing because society has changed so much that is a big melting-pot and race still matters, but not to the point where we should come up with questions like these. It should be what's best for the students. Not the former alumni of HBCUs or large state schools. If that kid feel he/she can get a better education at a HBCU then that's fine. If elsewhere, that's fine to.

I think when it comes to education a black student and their parents should do what they feel is the best when it comes to education. Some HBCUs are better than the larger state schools in certain educational areas, and some larger state schools are better than HBCUs when it comes to education in certain areas. As for athletics I think it does help--especially in football for a black student-athlete to go the large state school because that kid will get more exposure on a national level. Also, many of the larger state schools have better athletic facilities than HBCUs and can offer more full scholarships as well. But I'm sick and tired of black people asking is it OK for black students to go to the "white school"? or is it OK for the white kids to go to the "black school?" We need to get over this race thing because society has changed so much that is a big melting-pot and race still matters, but not to the point where we should come up with questions like these. It should be what's best for the students. Not the former alumni of HBCUs or large state schools. If that kid feel he/she can get a better education at a HBCU then that's fine. If elsewhere, that's fine to.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying there is nothing wrong of with going to "white" schools but I feel like black students should not put jbcus down!

Oh and there will always be an issue never forget that

Well as far as athletics... L if it wasnt for us... all those championships you see won everyyear by the Division I schools over the nation, wouldnt exist... I remember when LSU really didnt have a lot of black people on there teams back like in the 90's, In the malls and stores u barely seen LSU nalia... Now days u see flags on houses, license plates, lsu cars, and more.... then soon as the started winning with our people.. you see EAST, WEST, NORTH, and SOUTH.

But on there campus, i think they have the confederate flag, but its just purple and gold too, Its still there.. Were being used....

Academically.... They cant stand us there...:read:

What are you thoughts on black kids going to white colleges for education and sports play? Are white schools better? Do black kids at black schools have low moral and constantly wish they were at white schools?
I have personally heard remarks from black students talking about they would have a better chance at getting drafted to any pro sport especially football if they were at a white school! I think different!

Well to answer the first questions that truly depends on the person,I can't speak for anyone else for e personally I wasn't comfortable being around that many black folks just keeping it real, I was raised in Santa Ana California and the every school I attended you could count the number of black students on one hand an you probally knew them by name. Moving to the south and seeing classrooms filled with us freaked me out at first, however I got use it. But I was never in an predominantly black school prior to going to Alabama A&M and I studied their for three years. The atmosphere was the best for me personally and I was finding myself stuggling. I currently attend a white institution in Ga the 3rd largest in the state and I love it, and my grades are reflecting that. I can't say which is better,for myself I won't say that I should never have went there Hbcu's teach people how to fight and be persistant in persuing what they want. It's all in what you put into it, some places just aren't meant for certain people.

If you talented enough it doesn't matter where you go look at Jerry Rice who attended Miss.valley state and was drafted.

Great post.
:tup::tup:

It's not a one size fits all. It's a personal choice.

I wasn't comfortable being around that many black folks just keeping it real,

That's a dayum shame. :smh:

To answer the question: It is a personal choice and it does depend on what you're trying to achieve... and many times who is offering the scholarships. HOWEVER, I'm very PRO HBCU. Just about anything you would like to major in as an undergraduate, you can find at a HBCU, if you search and are flexible.

I do have some open prejudices on blacks (especially black star athletes) attending white colleges/universities. I don't like to see it, because I like to see us support our own (although, I can understand when those have to go where the money is being offered). I have no feelings on whites attending our schools.

My husband and I will be STRONGLY encouraging our child to attend a HBCU. Of course, we would like for him to go to Jackson State to become a 3rd generation student, but we also want him to keep his options open.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This thread reminds me of a column I saw in a weekly Atlanta newspaper where a black person wrote about how it disappointed her at how African-American college tour events (such as BET) would make stops at HBCUs and not at the white colleges and went on to say, "don't forget about us" (at the non-black colleges).

I laughed at her column, because (and maybe I'm just harsh but I don't care) I was like: if you want to experience "black college life," GO to a HBCU. Don't get mad when African-American sponsors don't step on the grounds of white colleges to promote unity, education and our people as a whole. They are just simply reaching their larger target audiences: US at the majority black colleges.

I think that anyone should attend whatever school they want to attend that will help them to achieve the goals they have in mind. If a kid wants to play professional sports and he has a chance to attend a school that is known for getting players drafted, why would I tell him not to go? What point am I proving by telling him that he shouldn't follow his dreams because it is a "white school"? Especially when I know that no matter how good he is, he will have a harder time making it to a professional team if he attends a black collge, or any 1-AA or smaller collge for that matter. You wouldn't tell a kid that wants to be an engineer to attend a liberal arts college would you? Absolutely not, because you know that that kid wouldn't be able to become an engineer with a liberal arts degree. The key is having access to education, that will allow you to pursue your chosen profession, be that profession academic or in sports. A quality education can be obtained from almost any college. Why do I say that, because an educatiuon is a personal endeavor. You decide what you want to get out of your collge experince, and that experience can be good be it at a historiccally black college, or a predominatly white college. Although I love my black college experience, I also recognize that the environment is not for everyone. White schools are not better, but that doesn't mean that black schools are either. And I am sure that the majority of students at HBCU's are there by choice, therefore they aren't wishing to be anywhere but where they are.

And if you don't think a player has a better chance at getting drafted from one school over others, then on that point, you just don't want to be honest about the facts. Facts are facts, and being drafted in pro sports is already a tough road, and it is even hardr when you attend a small college(which HBCU's are).

Here are my thoughts.
Athletes fall into athletic buckets. Those who are good enough out of high school, get recruited by Major and Mid-Major schools. Those who are not, get to chose from the rest. The D1-AA, DII, DIII, JUCO and low tier D1-A schools are at a HUGE disadvantage compared to mid-majors and top tier athletic programs.

Here lies the problem. Many of OUR (black) top tier athletes are NOT academically ready for mid-major and top tier D1A schools. Therefore, they have sacrificed their education and used college as a training ground for the next level (professional sports).

This doesn't happen with just the regular student who may be ready for college, but not the academically challenging colleges. WHY? Because those schools won't accept them.

Parents need to realize that you are sending your kids to college FIRST and not get caught up in the hype of having your kid play ball for LSU, etc.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying there is nothing wrong of with going to "white" schools but I feel like black students should not put hbcus down!

Just check out TSPN and you can see alot of this^^ right here. And we're college-graduates.......:shame:

Attend any college that you so desire....that was the purpose of the civil rights movement! :tup:

Because an education is a personal endeavor. You decide what you want to get out of your collge experince, and that experience can be good be it at a historically black college, or a predominatly white college. Although I love my black college experience, I also recognize that the environment is not for everyone. White schools are not better, but that doesn't mean that black schools are either. And I am sure that the majority of students at HBCU's are there by choice, therefore they aren't wishing to be anywhere but where they are.

:tup:

I think that anyone should attend whatever school they want to attend that will help them to achieve the goals they have in mind. If a kid wants to play professional sports and he has a chance to attend a school that is known for getting players drafted, why would I tell him not to go? What point am I proving by telling him that he shouldn't follow his dreams because it is a "white school"? Especially when I know that no matter how good he is, he will have a harder time making it to a professional team if he attends a black collge, or any 1-AA or smaller collge for that matter. You wouldn't tell a kid that wants to be an engineer to attend a liberal arts college would you? Absolutely not, because you know that that kid wouldn't be able to become an engineer with a liberal arts degree. The key is having access to education, that will allow you to pursue your chosen profession, be that profession academic or in sports. A quality education can be obtained from almost any college. Why do I say that, because an educatiuon is a personal endeavor. You decide what you want to get out of your collge experince, and that experience can be good be it at a historiccally black college, or a predominatly white college. Although I love my black college experience, I also recognize that the environment is not for everyone. White schools are not better, but that doesn't mean that black schools are either. And I am sure that the majority of students at HBCU's are there by choice, therefore they aren't wishing to be anywhere but where they are.

And if you don't think a player has a better chance at getting drafted from one school over others, then on that point, you just don't want to be honest about the facts. Facts are facts, and being drafted in pro sports is already a tough road, and it is even hardr when you attend a small college(which HBCU's are).

Great post Suge. I agree on all your points.

Here are my thoughts.
Athletes fall into athletic buckets. Those who are good enough out of high school, get recruited by Major and Mid-Major schools. Those who are not, get to chose from the rest. The D1-AA, DII, DIII, JUCO and low tier D1-A schools are at a HUGE disadvantage compared to mid-majors and top tier athletic programs.

Here lies the problem. Many of OUR (black) top tier athletes are NOT academically ready for mid-major and top tier D1A schools. Therefore, they have sacrificed their education and used college as a training ground for the next level (professional sports).

This doesn't happen with just the regular student who may be ready for college, but not the academically challenging colleges. WHY? Because those schools won't accept them.

Parents need to realize that you are sending your kids to college FIRST and not get caught up in the hype of having your kid play ball for LSU, etc.

I LOVE my football! :nod: However...

There are lots of kids - black and non-black alike - who not academically qualified to attend some of the top DI colleges ... but anyone who selects a college and attends college without the intention to graduate and earn a degree has got bigger problems than whether or not they attend an HBCU!

That's a dayum shame. :smh:

To answer the question: It is a personal choice and it does depend on what you're trying to achieve... and many times who is offering the scholarships. HOWEVER, I'm very PRO HBCU. Just about anything you would like to major in as an undergraduate, you can find at a HBCU, if you search and are flexible.

I do have some open prejudices on blacks (especially black star athletes) attending white colleges/universities. I don't like to see it, because I like to see us support our own (although, I can understand when those have to go where the money is being offered). I have no feelings on whites attending our schools.

My husband and I will be STRONGLY encouraging our child to attend a HBCU. Of course, we would like for him to go to Jackson State to become a 3rd generation student, but we also want him to keep his options open.

Are you a racist you can't accept the fact students and their parents have the right to choose? I think getting an education at an HBCU is great, but to say you have some prejudices against black students attending non-HBCUs is wrong. Many great African-Americans attended both HBCUs and non-HBCUs.
I bet if white people called non-HBCUs "HWCUs" and said the same things you are saying, you would call them racists and cry bloody murder! No longer it is "our" schools. There are no "our" schools controlled or catered to any race anymore. Society is changing and I hope you change with it. If graduates of HBCUs gave back, and the presidents fought for money, then more black students will want to come to HBCUs. But I also applaud those who attend HBCUs anyway.
As for athletes, I think there is some advantages in going to a non-HBCU. First, the athlete will get more scholarship money, more national exposure and treated better by fans and alumni. The SWAC is run like a high school, the fans sell out the battle of the bands than real sporting events, and the athletic facilites are not improving at many HBCU schools. I will continue to support all the schools in Illinois and Jackson State. But I will not be a racist like you.

I think some people are misunderstanding me. I apologize for not being clearer though I thought I was. I am not saying that you should not go where you want to go nor am I saying that Non-HBCUs are bad. I am simply saying that in my opinion I believe that blacks have the same chances at getting drafted to whatever professional sport they so desire or getting a good paying job any where if they were to attend an HBCU just they would if they attended a non-hbcu. I definitely not trying to put nonhbcus down. I attend an HBCU and I love it and others will all of my heart but I can notstand to hear out of the mouths of other black students " man I wish I had gone to a white school because I know they are muh better than black school" " I would have a better chance at getting drafted or getting a better job" or " I wouldn't have any problems like I'm having here". Thats gets on my nerves. Thats all. Maybe I shouldn't have named the thread Blacks at White Schools. But thats all I could think of at the time though. lol

What do you mean by "culture of the environment"? Can you please explain?

I simply mean that to some people it matters whether cultural climate of the university is dominated by a particular ethinicity. For those people, that might be as much of a priority as the educational or athletic prowess or opportunities that also attract them. My point is the answer to the original question must be arrived at by laying out one's priorities. Once that is done, the decision on what school to attend is greatly simplified.

I think some people are misunderstanding me. I apologize for not being clearer though I thought I was. I am not saying that you should not go where you want to go nor am I saying that Non-HBCUs are bad. I am simply saying that in my opinion I believe that blacks have the same chances at getting drafted to whatever professional sport they so desire or getting a good paying job any where if they were to attend an HBCU just they would if they attended a non-hbcu. I definitely not trying to put nonhbcus down. I attend an HBCU and I love it and others will all of my heart but I can notstand to hear out of the mouths of other black students " man I wish I had gone to a white school because I know they are muh better than black school" " I would have a better chance at getting drafted or getting a better job" or " I wouldn't have any problems like I'm having here". Thats gets on my nerves. Thats all. Maybe I shouldn't have named the thread Blacks at White Schools. But thats all I could think of at the time though. lol

I totally understand where you are coming from. My cousin and I got into it all the time about these same issues until I broke it down to where he couldn't explain it. There is something unique about our struggle and will to survive that are very touching. In order to find that special something you have to look into the past and judge it fairly. From the field to the classroom is the best way I can explain it. Back in the day we were TAUGHT that we were ignorant, dumb, and etc, and many blacks believed it because it was almost natural as a slave. How did we get to where we are today? The HB schools got us the basics but the HBCU is what put us on the map. Ask yourself this one very important question. If we didn't have HBCU's back in the day, where would we be today? LOST. Thats when I knew how valuable the HBCU's are and what they stand for. I then journeyed to the start of the HBCU's and what made them better than the average college. The students who attended these schools were former slaves and many didn't have a pot to pizz in but they received a free education. What I found interesting was that these poor schools lacked many resources but, for some STRANGE reason they produced doctors, lawyers, engineers, pilots, educators, surgeons and etc. How can a school with limited to NON-EXISTENT resources produce those type of students? They had no pre law, medical, or engineering school so how did they prepare these students to become lawyers, doctors and etc? Its simple. They had a will that was unmatched and a fighting spirit to persevere. This is what many black people fail to realize and its a shame. I don't buy the "you don't send a kid that wants to be an engineer to a liberal arts college". There is an HBCU for any broad profession. Howard, NC A&T, Alcorn, JSU, SU, TX Southern, Xavier, and many more. Whatever a student wants to do can be done at an HBCU. Schools don't come up with solutions....people do. Harvard did not make Bill Gates. Bill Gates made himself who he is today. If you put a JSU jersey on Shaq out of High School. He will still be the same player because of his GOD GIVEN ability. It doesn't matter where you go because its up to you to produce. Thats how Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Willis "ONE LEG" REED, and Wilma Rudolph made it at an HBCU. They made it because they had a GOD GIVEN ability in sports. The same thing applies to academics. I just prefer HBCU's because none of us would be where we are today if not for God blessing black people with their own. The truth is the generations that enjoy life as they know it today, owe HBCU's the freedom they enjoy today. The majority of those civil rights workers graduated from HBCU's and they paved the way for generations to come. They didn't pave the way so black kids can go to white colleges. They paved the way so nobody can tell you what you CAN and CAN'T do. Why should black students choose HBCU's? They opened a door that would have never opened for me and mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back