BlackCollegeBaseball.com Releases 1st Annual Black College Baseball Awards

The Texas faithful are not satisfied with Augie and his small ball. They all most went crazy when he was hired from Cal State Fullerton. If he had not won he was about to be run off.

Graham played small ball by necessity, he prefers to have big hitters.

I got to check to see if Robertson has the full allotment, I don't think so because his scholarship budget would start at 111,000 (11 'ships at $10K per year)....but lets also count in the fact that you got to find housing and meals for a kid at PV...which starts at roughly $400 for a basic 2-bed, 1 bathroom setup in the freshman dorm to $535 for a 2-bedroom, 2 bath apartment.

At TSU, Candy made a living at offering a local kid a few bucks and he gets to stay with the parents. It's even easier if he qualifies for financial aid..so he now has 5 'ships to distribute on out-of-state kids courtesy of Ralph Garr.

as for Robertson's baseball philosophy, he prefers speed....terrorizing the bases causes more problems than relying on the power because hitting for power asks for strikeouts. That's how Forest Brook went to state, straight speed. TSU can get hot but I've seen them at times strikeout 3 straight times trying to hit the long ball. Speed scores runs faster.

East Tiger Fan,

I will review the stat.

Roberson should do a lot better than Candy. Roberson has a full allotment of scholarship, baseball has been identified as a premier sport at PV. TSU has five scholarships. Roberson make a very good salary and does not teach. Candy make peanuts and run a business full time.

Candy has done more with less is my point.

I agree over a said period of time. But even you must agree it takes more than one or two years to turn around any athletic program to the point the programs is winning championships consistantly. It is a fact that Prairie View A & M University's athletic department is making a major commitment to the baseball program by providing 9 scholarship over the last two years. It should be noted that the maximum allowed by the NCAA 11.7. Although it my understanding that Charles will now support the maximum allotment of scholarships based on the continued progress of the program. To make that statement over the first two years a coach takes over a program that he should do better than a coach that has been over a program for 13 years is a little disingenuous, in my humble opinion.

Anyone that is objective can see that Prairie View A & M University's baseball program as made a turn for the better over the last two years. It is now time over the next two or three years (5 to 10 even 15 years) to view whether Coach Robertson can win conference regular season, and/or tournament championships as well as win significant post season tournament games at a consistant level over said period of time and openly widen the gap between the two programs of Prairie View A & M University and Texas Southern University based on the key objectives and you made above.

East Texas Tiger,

The Texas faithful are not satisfied with Augie and his small ball. They all most went crazy when he was hired from Cal State Fullerton. If he had not won he was about to be run off.

Graham played small ball by necessity, he prefers to have big hitters.

Intriguing your conclusion is based on and if/then statement. The only point I was making was that you stated most colleges win championships by playing with the long ball and maybe black college baseball should follow suit to win championships, as well. I provided you with two instances and examples where programs over the last two years won conference, tournament, and national Championships by playing small ball. I was just stating that playing small ball can lead programs to championship as well as playing long ball.

But even you must agree it takes more than one or two years to turn around any athletic program to the point the programs is winning championships consistantly. It is a fact that Prairie View A & M University's athletic department is making a major commitment to the baseball program by providing 9 scholarship over the last two years. It should be noted that the maximum allowed by the NCAA 11.7. Although it my understanding that Charles will now support the maximum allotment of scholarships based on the continued progress of the program. To make that statement over the first two years a coach takes over a program that he should do better than a coach that has been over a program for 13 years is a little disingenuous, in my humble opinion.

Your logic would be sound if the programs being compared where that much different prior to Coach Roberson coming to PV. TSU and PV programs were about on the same level. Coaching, scholarships,etc. Now that you have a full time coach and more scholarships he should out perform a person who is doing it on a part time basis. On top of this TSU assistant coach has two other jobs. So base on this my statements are not disingenuous, they are very sincere and very appropriate.

Both Texas and Rice championship could be attributed to their pitching not the fact they played small ball. I am not sure if Rice considered themselves as a small ball team.

Band fan,

Most of your statements support my argument. Financial aid would apply to both programs, I think the rules are the same. Housing for the out of state players is still an expense.

Your last statement I must respectfull disagree with. A power team will always score faster than a speed team.

East Texas Tiger,

Your logic would be sound if the programs being compared where that much different prior to Coach Roberson coming to PV. TSU and PV programs were about on the same level. Coaching, scholarships,etc. Now that you have a full time coach and more scholarships he should out perform a person who is doing it on a part time basis. On top of this TSU assistant coach has two other jobs. So base on this my statements are not disingenuous, they are very sincere and very appropriate.

In all honesty, in regards to coaching there isn't any comparison to the similarities between the two programs during the last two or three years of Coach Tankersley coaching tenure (R.I.P.). It is a fact that the program had lost control. The players where actually running the program rather than the coach with even some moderate level of control in a coaching capacity.

He could seldomly get a majority of the players to even show up for practice the last couple of years of his tenure. I will always be thankful to Coach Tankersley for providing me with an opportunity to watch first hand what was transpiring in his program. I personally witness many things seating in the dugout during games that I will not even mention on a public forum.

Fortunately, from a couple of visits to Texas Southern I had an opportunity to watch their practice habits, as well. Again, with all do respect, there isn't any comparison of the two programs during that two to three period before the arrival of Coach Robertson when one compares just the two practice habits.

a power team will score more in bunches but I got to have speed...perfect example, TSU's power hitters in Coachman and Fugett can only hit for power because they have no speed. If you ask them to execute a bunt your risking an out because they aren't fast...

now, if your trying to advance a base with a power hitter on base...good luck...

How many time have you seen Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa or Jason Giambi bunt. Power teams usually do not have to manufacture runs. I do not want to take the bat out of Coachman or Fugett hands. I want them swinging.

Personally, I prefer a balance attack. I want speed at the top and power in the middle.

All this about Power vs. Speed. The main objective really (especially at the college level), is to be as fundamentally sound as possible. I wouldn't consider Texas or Rice to exactly be small ball teams. The coaches just understand that the players that they have for the most part aren't exactly MLB prospects (the hitters not the pitchers). To supplement this the players are taught to have a sound approach at the plate and to not strike out. This isn't small ball, this is just realizing that these players can't consistently hit the ball out of the park against the level of pitching that they face (especially in Texas' case). They then take into consideration the statistics. 6 out of every 10 line drives results in a hit. 4 out of every 10 ground balls results in a hit. 2 out of every 10 fly balls results in a hit and nobody has ever gotten a hit by striking out. It is very rare to see teams like Clemson and Tulane of a few years back that hit homeruns with a great deal of regularity, mainly because the players with the ability to do it have already been signed before college. This drives the coaches to drive the players to max out their potential, at for most of them will be the highest level of baseball that they will play. Look at Austin Davis of Rice, he is your ultimate college player. He doesn't strike out much, hits the ball hard just about every time up, but isn't a big homerun hitter. Also even though he was one of the better hitters on the Rice team and the hottest hitter for them in the CWS, he didn't get so much as a sniff from the pros.

God I love baseball

OK you have 9, that is pretty darn good for a non revenue sport. That 1.8 times more than we have. That is an entire team. Plus the player you have on academic scholarships and financial aid. That is good. 2 years you should be even and by the third year you should be ahead.

Back