BlackCollegeBaseball.com Releases 1st Annual Black College Baseball Awards

Jafus (Thinker)

Baseball from the frontpage
May 10, 2004

BlackCollegeBaseball.com Releases 1st Annual Black College Baseball Awards
By TSPN News Service

http://www.swacpage.com/articles/article962.shtml

BlackCollegeBaseball.com is proud to release its first Black College Baseball Awards. Candidates were taken from the nineteen Division-I programs which included the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Southwestern Athletic Conference, Chicago State of the Mid-Continent and Savannah State University, an Independent program.

Coach of the Year Awards goes to Prairie View A&M head coach Michael Robertson. In his second year at the helm, he's guided the panthers into the Black College Baseball rankings and on the threshold of SWAC tournament play. The Panthers improved leaped and bounds from a 2003 record of 10-45 to a 2004 record of 30-26.

Player of the Year awards goes to junior outfielder Bryant Lange of Jackson State University. Lange scorched pitchers with a .439 batting average while successfully stealing 29-of-31 bases. Lange also received SWAC Player of the Year and Outstanding Hitter honors.

Delaware State junior hurler Shawn Phillips left opponents frozen at the plate. He carried an 8-2 record with a 2.19 ERA over the season. In 94.2 innings pitched, Phillilps has only walked 11 while striking out 92.

For the men and women behind the scenes that usually receive no recognition, Sports Information Directors and their baseball contacts are the ones that get the information out. Stan Bradley of Maryland Eastern Shore kept the press releases hot every game, won or lost, within two hours of the end of game. He has made a commitment in doing his job well, which is even more impressive when he's the only SID for the university.

The Black College Baseball Elite Teams are comprised of athletes from the MEAC and SWAC. Bethune Cookman landed 6 players on the squad, Prairie View A&M 4, Jackson State 3, Mississippi Valley 3, Norfolk State 2, Coppin State 2, Delaware State 2, North Carolina A&T 2, Southern 2, Alcorn State 1, Grambling State 1.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Michael Robertson, Prairie View A&M

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Bryant Lange, OF, Jackson State

PITCHER OF THE YEAR
Shawn Phillips, RHP, Delaware State

SPORT INFORMATION DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
Stan Bradley, Maryland Eastern Shore

First Team Position Players
1B, Juan Figueroa, Bethune Cookman College
2B, Juan Serrano, Norfolk State University
3B, Carlos Garcia, Bethune Cookman College
SS, Justin Riggs, Coppin State University
C, Ralph Johnson, Jackson State University
OF, Bryant Lange, Jackson State University
OF, Sebastian Boucher, Bethune Cookman College
OF, Stephen Washington, Prairie View A&M University

First Team Pitchers
SP, Francisco Gomez, Bethune Cookman College
SP, Shawn Phillips, Delaware State University
SP, Michael Hauff, North Carolina A&T University
SP, Jose Pena, Southern University
RP, Nick Bitter, Delaware State University
RP, A.J. Corbin, Norfolk State University

Second Team Position Players
1B, Byron Carter, Prairie View A&M University
2B, Corey Wimberley, Alcorn State University
3B, Andrew Toussaint, Southern University
SS, Jermel Lomack, Prairie View A&M University
C, Edgar Wilson, Coppin State University
OF, James Cooper, Grambling State University
OF, Roberto Rodriguez, Bethune Cookman College
OF, Gerald Miller, Prairie View A&M University

Second Team Pitchers
SP, Jarred Vaughn, Jackson State University
SP, Ian Digiorgio, North Carolina A&T University
SP, Jermaine Shack, Mississippi Valley State Univ.
SP, Steve Acuna, Mississippi Valley State Univ.
RP, Colin Irvine, Bethune Cookman College
RP, Andrew Cunha, Mississippi Valley State Univ.

TSU didn't really have anyone put up big numbers - and they did not have much success outside the SWAC.

they came together at the end and got hot but during the season, they had average numbers.

I've seen them play a number of times.....they hit more for power than for average..so they are basically living and dying by the extra base hit.

Jag4Life,

No SWAC champ representatives?

I quickly made the same observation along with the fact that the independent program of Savannah State University whom had a winning record was not represented, as well. But, I agree with TheBandFan on his observation. It is also my understanding that the particular Black College Baseball Awards list was based on several key statistics such as batting average, RBI, slugging perecentage, on base percentage, saves, ERA & etc.

Perhaps that is the problem with Black College Baseball. Most successful college programs play big ball and not small ball. Major league baseball with few exceptions are made up of power teams. TSU first baseman, second baseman as well as right fielder should have been on this team. TSU non conference schedule was pretty tough and this had a great deal to do with our won loss record outside of the conference. I remember when we had this same problem with basketball. I am a casual baseball fan, however I have played and been around the game for long time. Some peoples observation are bias and in order to be a good reporter you must be open minded.

However I will take the championship over the individual accolades any day. Baseball is team sport. Base on this article Candy shoud have been the coach of the year as he did the most with the less.

Robertson went from 10 wins to 30 wins with basically a new team and alot of freshmen playing and put the team into tournament contention, it's hard to beat that.

Candy had a senior team who underachieved until the end of the season......

Roberton played down while Candy played up. You call it under achieving until the end. I call it bringing your team along slowly and peaking at the right time. All the early season wins mean da da if you lose at tournament time. I recall this same thing happening in basketball last year.

I hope we can do the same thing in football.

Bandfan. I am sending a letter on your behalf to President Bush. He need a spin doctor such as yourself. When it come to PV you can truly make lemon ade without lemons.

i am not surprised that TxSU did not have any individual accolades. Like last year's Florida Marlins, they gutted out key wins late in the season and did what they had to do to win the top team prize in the SWAC.

Like Jafus mentioned, Savannah State not having more in above is a surpise. SSU fields good ball teams year in and year out.

Congratulations to all commended and, to TxSU's athletic director, our a.d.'s number is listed.

;)

Nobody on our team deserved individual accolades.

Hassan,

I've been told that we will play a tune up game against Baylor soon.

East Texas Tiger,

Well, I am not sure about everybody else, but I do my homework. I respectfully disagree with the point that this discussion nor the poll was bias. Take some time and actually go back and compare the various individual stats that where used to compile this team. I will agree that Texas Southern had a very tough schedule.

According to this site Texas Southern's (9 HBCU ad stronger rating, uncluding 4 from the SWAC and 2 from Western Division) strength rating was as follows:

NCAA Division I Baseball -- Iterative Strength Ratings

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/isr504.html

Note: W-L records are through games of 5/02. Strength of schedule rank is for games to date. Only teams who have played at least ten Division I games are listed. For a printable version, go to the Boyd's World Weekly Press Release.

266 82.8 15 28 15 29 261 Texas Southern

According to this site Texas Southern's (11 HBCU ad stronger rating, uncluding 5 from the SWAC and 3 from Western Division) strength rating was as follows:

NCAA Division I Baseball -- Pseudo-RPI's

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpi504.html

These are not the official RPI's, but I've been able to verify the formula and bonus amounts I'm using with the official results from the 2001 season, so they should be extremely close to the official ones unless the NCAA has changed the formula without announcing the change.

Note: W-L records are through games of 5/02. For a printable version, go to the Boyd's World Weekly Press Release.

257 0.414 15 28 15 29 Texas Southern

2004 SWAC BASEBALL
SWAC Overall Statistics (as of May 09, 2004)
(All games Sorted by Batting avg)

http://www.swac.org/03-04/baseball/stats/lgplyrs.htm

Player AVG GP-GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SLG% BB HBP SO GDP OB% SF SH SB-ATT

LANGE, Bryant Jr., JSU..... .439 49-49 164 50 72 17 2 3 55 102 .622 20 6 14 1 .510 2 8 29-31
WIMBERLEY,Corey, ALCN...... .419 41-41 148 51 62 8 3 0 24 76 .514 20 6 13 0 .506 0 0 40-46
COOPER,James, GSU.......... .393 44-44 163 34 64 16 9 4 39 110 .675 21 1 17 2 .457 3 1 11-14
NICHOLS, Brian, ALST....... .392 45-45 143 33 56 16 0 7 45 93 .650 21 3 26 3 .479 0 0 1-4
CARTER,Byron, PVAM......... .389 53-53 175 41 68 22 0 5 52 105 .600 19 15 22 0 .486 1 1 6-7
TOUSSAINT,Andrew, SU....... .384 40-40 146 53 56 8 4 14 54 114 .781 27 1 35 0 .472 4 0 7-7
LeBLANC,Joshua, SU......... .376 36-30 117 47 44 11 8 7 31 92 .786 15 7 27 0 .475 0 1 6-7
MILLER,Gerald, PVAM........ .369 45-44 149 38 55 10 2 5 34 84 .564 21 8 17 0 .462 4 4 13-15
LIPSEY, Carl, JSU.......... .364 47-47 151 62 55 11 1 1 27 71 .470 42 5 23 0 .502 5 4 49-57
JOHNSON, Ralph, JSU........ .356 47-45 149 34 53 14 3 5 40 88 .591 13 2 16 0 .407 3 8 16-21
WASHINGTON,Stephen, PVAM... .356 56-55 180 53 64 14 2 9 54 109 .606 27 3 23 0 .441 3 3 17-18
THOMAS,Rickey, PVAM........ .351 51-47 171 45 60 13 1 9 53 102 .596 19 8 26 3 .431 4 0 4-4

13#
FUGETT, Calvin, TXSO....... .342 36-34 111 22 38 8 0 7 32 67 .604 21 1 15 0 .441 3 0 0-0

Again, take some time and look at the number and consider your on words about not being bias about players you view more often than another teams players.

East Texas Tigers,

Perhaps that is the problem with Black College Baseball. Most successful college programs play big ball and not small ball. Major league baseball with few exceptions are made up of power teams. TSU first baseman, second baseman as well as right fielder should have been on this team. TSU non conference schedule was pretty tough and this had a great deal to do with our won loss record outside of the conference. I remember when we had this same problem with basketball. I am a casual baseball fan, however I have played and been around the game for long time. Some peoples observation are bias and in order to be a good reporter you must be open minded.

However I will take the championship over the individual accolades any day. Baseball is team sport. Base on this article Candy shoud have been the coach of the year as he did the most with the less.

I respectfully disagree. The baseball pundits believe it is about even between the programs that play small ball and long ball across the board. If look at this particular "elite" basball program, the University of Texas and their head coach, he and now the program are known for playing small ball. The won the World Series two years ago playing small ball and where in College World Series last year making a run at the title with small ball. Rice is another example, although the where known more for the rotational ace pitching staff.

CLeB

lemme know about that (good luck to the 3rd Coast Tigers just the same)

*Haiti is playing a World Cup "friendly" tomorrow night at UH against El Salvador (we've got a whole busload coming from Miami for the match)

go Konpa Krew!!!

Roberton played down while Candy played up. You call it under achieving until the end. I call it bringing your team along slowly and peaking at the right time. All the early season wins mean da da if you lose at tournament time. I recall this same thing happening in basketball last year.

I hope we can do the same thing in football.

I agree. But, I think it is important and substancial to excell during the regular season, conference play, tournament play, and post season.

Hassan,

i am not surprised that TxSU did not have any individual accolades. Like last year's Florida Marlins, they gutted out key wins late in the season and did what they had to do to win the top team prize in the SWAC.

I agree!!

CLeB, Team Texas Southern (& Hassan),

I've been told that we will play a tune up game against Baylor soon.

Are we headed back to the home front of Waco, for a ball game. Honestly, I must admit they have an awesome baseball stadium. I watched UT @ BU last season?

Hassan,

*Haiti is playing a World Cup "friendly" tomorrow night at UH against El Salvador (we've got a whole busload coming from Miami for the match)

Curse, I am in Dallas for the week. I had a chance to catch the USA vs. Mexico friendly at the Cotton Bowl a couple of weeks ago.

East Tex...the proof is in the pudding..Robertson did something most coaches would have trouble doing at PRAIRIE VIEW. He deserves the honors due to the a 20-win turnaround, and making the team competitive in only his 2ND YEAR. What more can you ask for? It took Candy 13 years to reach this achievement despite having a chance to basically own the city of Houston in recruiting overlooked talent.

He has several players listed in the offensive stats...

I mean, all of a sudden Candy deserves Coach of the Year honors because he got hot late? Come on? It's for the season.....not a tournament

Jafus,

Haitian club matches in Miami are a treat - the stands are alive

the big one is going to be June 12 in the Orange Bowl when Haiti plays Jamaica in an actual WC qualifying match

Reggae Boyz vs. Konpa Krew

the old stadium is going to be ROCKING!!!

:D

SOCERH10.JPG
:winkgrin: :nod:

I will review the stat.

Roberson should do a lot better than Candy. Roberson has a full allotment of scholarship, baseball has been identified as a premier sport at PV. TSU has five scholarships. Roberson make a very good salary and does not teach. Candy make peanuts and run a business full time.

Candy has done more with less is my point.

Back