Black Republican Speaks Out !!!!!

M

Makaho Bedrock

As a Black conservative I have many questions in regards to the Democratic Party.

Why does the Democratic Party take black votes for granted?

Whe do Black voters always vote for Liberal "Democratic" candidates even though we are the most part closer to GOD. Vote for Democratic opponets even though we are really NOT?

Why do we go and click "Democrat" and not research who has our best interests in hand ?

DD NUPE 4LIFE!!!!

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
As a Black conservative I have many questions in regards to the Democratic Party.

Well, heck, as a Black liberal Democrat, I have many questions about the Republican party. So what.

Originally posted by jag4life
Are there any conservatives with our best interests in hand?

What do you call an African American man (Colin Powell) having the highest position in government in the entire history of this country? Let's run down our countries chain of command...you have the President, The Vice President, The Speaker of the House and then you have Colin Powell. I call that for the first time in the history of this country a black man being elected for his merits and achievements regrdless of his color. And by the way, Colin Powell took a lot of flack from republicans because he supports affirmative action...he pointed out...."Im a living example of what affirmative action can achieve"....so you tell me.

I for one want equal representation in both partys for african americans. We are less than 13% of this entire country and less than 30% of that vote. If we continue to only show loyalty to one party then we will be out in the cold.

Re: Re: Black Republican Speaks Out !!!!!

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA

Well, heck, as a Black liberal Democrat, I have many questions about the Republican party. So what.

Well,heck,as a Black Moderately Conservative Republican who used to be a Conservative Democrat and managed many campaigns for Black and White Democrats I ask why we (African Americans) are always left out in the cold. I can only speak on personal experiences and statistics. So if you have questions mabye I can answer them.

I know both worlds, I managed campaigns from both sides of the fence.

Originally posted by jag4life
Are there any conservatives with our best interests in hand?

This is a good question. BTW I do not view Secretary Powell as a conservative.

Makaho:
Why do you feel the Republican party is best for most Blacks? Can you give me some concrete examples on how most Blacks benefit under the Republic agenda.

I know Colin Powell, JC Watts,etc benefit but how do the majority of Blacks benefit?

I call that for the first time in the history of this country a black man being elected for his merits and achievements regrdless of his color.

Colin wasn't elected.

Why does the Democratic Party take black votes for granted?

Whe do Black voters always vote for Liberal "Democratic" candidates even though we are the most part closer to GOD. Vote for Democratic opponets even though we are really NOT?

Why do we go and click "Democrat" and not research who has our best interests in hand ?

DD NUPE 4LIFE!!!!
What do you mean take black folks for granted?:confused:

Originally posted by BgJag

Colin wasn't elected.

Btw, Colin wasn't allowed to have the last say on some of the top cabinets personnel in the State Dept. Go figure.

Colin Powell didn't alway support affirmative action....

(21) Colin Powell Calls for Quotas
Editorial 08/01/00

Ward Connerly Says Powell divides GOP while trying to pull it to the Left (08/01/00)
BACKGROUND: During Colin Powell's July 31, 2000 speech at the Republican Convention in Philadelphia he made the following, quirky, pro-quota statement: "Some in our party miss no opportunity to roundly and loudly condemn affirmative action that helped a few thousand black kids get an education, but hardly a whimper is heard from them over affirmative action for lobbyists who load our federal tax codes with preferences for special interests."

Responding to charges by retired General Colin Powell last night that those who oppose racial preferences "create cynicism?in the black community," American Civil Rights Institute Chairman Ward Connerly, a registered Republican and backer of Governor George W. Bush, issued the following statement:

"There he goes again. Four years ago, General Colin Powell addressed the Republican National Convention and defended affirmative action preferences. Last night, he did it again.

"One would think that he would catch up with the American people on this issue. Instead, he reminds us that he is to the left of voters in liberal states like California and Washington who have rejected preferences as a divisive policy that forces us into little boxes and pits one group against another. Governor George W. Bush has consistently spoken out against these ill effects, using those same words. General Powell, on the other hand, wants to drag the Republican Party to the left of the political spectrum, making it indistinguishable from the Democratic Party on this issue.

"General Powell is respected for his military expertise. His views on race carry no greater weight than any other American who is entitled to equal treatment under the law and special preferences for none, whether they be -- to use the odd dichotomy the General used last night ? black kids or lobbyists.

"If Powell wants to flip-flop on affirmative action, as he has done, let him do so, but the G.O.P. and Governor Bush need to make it clear that Powell speaks for himself and not for the rest of us.

"When Powell claims that "affirmative action" helped a few thousand black kids get an education, is he really so badly informed that he does not realize that the end of preferences is not denying anyone the opportunity to get an education? By his own admission, kids in Texas still have access to a quality education without affirmative action. The same goes for kids in California, Washington, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts and many other places where affirmative action has been found immoral by the voters and unconstitutional by the courts.

"Finally, I fail to understand why someone who is opposed to preferences based on race has any obligation to speak out against lobbyists who seek "special preferences" in the tax code for their clients. Talk about a non sequitur. If Governor George W. Bush wants to be a "uniter and not a divider" -- and I take him at his word on that -- he should begin by putting a leash on those who use the forum provided by the Republican nominee to bash those in his own Party." -- Ward Connerly 08/01/00.

Colin Powell reminds me of the epigraph I read in Alice Walker's book: Possessing the Secret of Joy.

"When the axe came into the forest, the trees said the handle is one of us."

Originally posted by Jag Voice
Makaho:
Why do you feel the Republican party is best for most Blacks? Can you give me some concrete examples on how most Blacks benefit under the Republic agenda.

I know Colin Powell, JC Watts,etc benefit but how do the majority of Blacks benefit?

Personally, I feel whatever you want out of life and your beliefs determines whether you are conservative or liberal. I don't believe in abortion...Im an avid supporter of the 2nd amendment...And I believe if you are an able bodied individual you should "pull your own weight". That's why I chose the conservative route. But I talk to people every day that are far more to the right than I will ever be, say that they are democratics when in fact they are DINO'S....Democrats in name only. if you ask them why...they can only tell you well, I have just always been. What I would like to see is people voting for the best candidate instead of along party lines....but, that aint happening here in Mississippi. We always get stuck out in the cold by both candidates because white democrats know we are voting for them and white republicans say what's the use. Until we start considering another party, as a whole we always will be stuck with all of our political eggs in one basket. I would like to see us have equal representation in both parties that way candidates both dem and rep would have to show us some consensus. For example, would it benefit your university to only offer one major....I don't think so.

Colin wasn't elected.

Ok, I typed to fast....the correct term should have been appointed.

In the same manner that Roderick Paige was as Secretary of Education.

In the same manner that Condoleezza Rice was as Advisor of the National Security Council.

In the same manner that Alphonso Jackson was as Deputy Secretary to Housing and Urban Development.

In the same manner that Calude Allen was as Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Sevices.

All African-American by the way.

Re: Re: Black Republican Speaks Out !!!!!

Originally posted by jelli
What do you mean take black folks for granted?:confused:

I will give you a couple examples of how our votes are taken for granted...

Here in Mississippi we have partisan elections which means you have to vote straight ticket during the primary...All democrats on one ballot....All Republicans on the other. We had three black candidates run state wide for various state level positions. Our current Gov and Lt. Gov (both wite) were the only Democrats to win their respective elections. Which means that in order for the black democrats to win they would have had to get the same votes that the Gov an Lt Gov got. But guess what happened....in primarily white democratic boxes in Mississippi, white liberal democrats voted for the white Gov and Lt. Gov. candidates and left the black democratic candidates ballots blank. Some members of the black caucus (all democrats) in the Mississippi legislature cried out about it but to no avail.

Another example, every democratic congressman from Mississippi solicited black political consulting firms and their infrastructures to conduct GOTV in the black communities to beat other white dems during the democratic primaries. Through their efforts the ones that energized the most black votes won their respective elections....which proves black votes are sway votes in Mississippi.
But during their re-elections the congressmen (all execpt one) that faced no oppositon during their re-election did not solicit one black firm or organization for their GOTV...why because they are democratic incumbants, and statistics show blacks in Mississippi almost always overwhelmingly vote for democratic incumbants...So guess where the 1.5 million dollars that normally would have employed black consultants and their various infrastructures....the white firms to go through predominately white neighborhoods and try to sway some republican votes....

Too many other scenarios come to mind...but the bottom line is, we don't need to put all of our proverbial eggs in one basket...we gotta start playing political ball....look how it is benefitting the Hispanics...we are the only ethnic group that overwhelmingly votes democrat. We need to start playing the game like it should be played.

Ok, I typed to fast....the correct term should have been appointed.

In the same manner that Roderick Paige was as Secretary of Education.

In the same manner that Condoleezza Rice was as Advisor of the National Security Council.

In the same manner that Alphonso Jackson was as Deputy Secretary to Housing and Urban Development.

In the same manner that Calude Allen was as Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Sevices.

All African-American by the way.

In the same manner as your Uncle Clarence Thomas

In the same manner as your Uncle Clarence Thomas

Clarence Thomas was appointed by George W. Bush's "father". And he is not my uncle....If you are trying to run dat uncle tom rhetoric on me it aint gonna work. To tell you the truth it is all relative.....I was told that I thought I was "white" in High School because I made good grades....I was called a "sell out" by all the gang bangers because I chose to go to college....When I got commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army and went to Desert Strom some guys in college called me a sell-out...I would then ask them..So you wan't an all Army with all the guns and tanks? The last time we had an all white army we were picking cotton.

I hope that is not your your mentatility. I dont think that the freedom riders got beat down and suffered through atrocities so we as a people couln't take advantage of opportunity. Im so sorry that your scope is so limited.

Re: Re: Re: Black Republican Speaks Out !!!!!

I will give you a couple examples of how our votes are taken for granted...

Here in Mississippi we have partisan elections which means you have to vote straight ticket during the primary...All democrats on one ballot....All Republicans on the other. We had three black candidates run state wide for various state level positions. Our current Gov and Lt. Gov (both wite) were the only Democrats to win their respective elections. Which means that in order for the black democrats to win they would have had to get the same votes that the Gov an Lt Gov got. But guess what happened....in primarily white democratic boxes in Mississippi, white liberal democrats voted for the white Gov and Lt. Gov. candidates and left the black democratic candidates ballots blank. Some members of the black caucus (all democrats) in the Mississippi legislature cried out about it but to no avail.

Another example, every democratic congressman from Mississippi solicited black political consulting firms and their infrastructures to conduct GOTV in the black communities to beat other white dems during the democratic primaries. Through their efforts the ones that energized the most black votes won their respective elections....which proves black votes are sway votes in Mississippi.
But during their re-elections the congressmen (all execpt one) that faced no oppositon during their re-election did not solicit one black firm or organization for their GOTV...why because they are democratic incumbants, and statistics show blacks in Mississippi almost always overwhelmingly vote for democratic incumbants...So guess where the 1.5 million dollars that normally would have employed black consultants and their various infrastructures....the white firms to go through predominately white neighborhoods and try to sway some republican votes....

Too many other scenarios come to mind...but the bottom line is, we don't need to put all of our proverbial eggs in one basket...we gotta start playing political ball....look how it is benefitting the Hispanics...we are the only ethnic group that overwhelmingly votes democrat. We need to start playing the game like it should be played.
Your first example really doesn't show me how the black vote is taken for granted by democrats. Now your second example I have a few question:
where you say Another example, every democratic congressman from Mississippi solicited black political consulting firms and their infrastructures to conduct GOTV in the black communities to beat other white dems during the democratic primaries the every democrat you speak were they black or white? and secondly because they are democratic incumbants, and statistics show blacks in Mississippi almost always overwhelmingly vote for democratic incumbantsI would wager that the same would hold true of an incumbant rebulican be they white or black.

I will give you that blacks don't research their candidates issues extensively before they cote democrat. But I am not ready to do away with all social programs, afirmative action. I honestly don't believe that both parties solict blacks votes for the purposes of wining an election and then drop shortly there after.

Originally posted by Jag Voice
Makaho:

Jag voice, as I stated before...Colin Powell has the highest appointment in the history of this country ever hleld by a black man. And J.C. Watts is th ultimate example of people looking past "color" and voting for the best candidate....he was elected by a majority "white" district which is historical, this is extremely important because he ran against a white oponent that traditonaly votes "white". Two examples from the state of Colorado are Lt. Governer Joe Rogers and The Sec. of State (his name escapes me) they ran as Republican and got 1 out of 2 black votes in that state to win.
If you look at histroy, the Republican party is more likely to cross color lines and vote for another race. Just look at congress....every black democratic representative was voted by majority BLACK districts...Maxine Waters, Jesse Jackson J.R., Bennie Thompson just to name a few. Why, because white democrats do not support black democrats.

To answer your question about how the MAJORITY of Blacks benefit..that's almost impossible to acertain why...because the majority of blacks in this country DO NOT VOTE !!!! We are less than 12% of this country and only 30% of that vote.

So you can say how the MINORITY of blacks benefit...we benefit through free enterprise, individual initiative, and fiscal individuality to keep more of the money that they earn...which are best facilitated by republican ideology.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Republican Speaks Out !!!!!

Originally posted by jelli
Your first example really doesn't show me how the black vote is taken for granted by democrats. Now your second example I have a few question:
where you say Another example, every democratic congressman from Mississippi solicited black political consulting firms and their infrastructures to conduct GOTV in the black communities to beat other white dems during the democratic primaries the every democrat you speak were they black or white? and secondly because they are democratic incumbants, and statistics show blacks in Mississippi almost always overwhelmingly vote for democratic incumbantsI would wager that the same would hold true of an incumbant rebulican be they white or black.

I will give you that blacks don't research their candidates issues extensively before they cote democrat. But I am not ready to do away with all social programs, afirmative action. I honestly don't believe that both parties solict blacks votes for the purposes of wining an election and then drop shortly there after.

To respond by name of the Congressmen I am talking about:

(DEMOCRATS)

Gene Taylor- U.S. House of Representatives (5th District) - White Democrat.....Hired Black Consultants for his GOTV to get initally elected....every re-election since 1989 has hired white firms to sway republican votes in pred. white areas.

Ronnie Shows - U.S. House of Representatives (4th District) - White Democrat....Hired Black Consultants for his GOTV to get initally elected....only one re-election since 1999 has hired white firms to sway republican votes in pred. white areas.

Bennie Thompson - U.S. House of Representatives (2nd District) - Black Democrat.....NAACP conducted his GOTV....every re-election since 1993 has been conducted by black firms.

(REPUBLICANS)

Roger Wicker - U.S. House of Representatives (1st District) - White Republican....Hired Black Consultants for his GOTV to get initally elected.....has hired 1 black firm to to attempt to get a small percentage of black votes.

Charles Pickering - U.S. House of Representatives (3rd District) - White Republican....Hired Black Consultants for his GOTV to get initally elected.....has hired 1 black firm to to attempt to get a small percentage of black votes.

Both Senators from Mississippi are Republicans: Trent Lott and Thad Cochran, and have simular infrastructures via consulting firms as the other Republicans do in order for their GOTV.

To answer your questions in regards to our votes being taken for granted in this state....Mississippi has NEVER had a BLACK statewide elected official since John R. Lynch (the street JSU is on is named after him) and Hiram Revels during reconstruction (they were both Republicans by the way). But when blacks run state wide white democrats skip pressing the lever for black candidates selecting instead to vote for "no one" in that positon instead of voting for a black candidate....If, that is not being taken for granted I don't know what is.
We have partisan elections in Mississippi, which means you have to vote straight DEMOCRAT or straight REPUBLICAN all the way down the ticket. As a matter of fact the only statewide elected Republicans we have in this state got elected because white democrats chose not to vote for black democrats.

By teh way, I voted democrat in that election because Willie Richardson, a JSU alum, I felt was the best candidate for Highway Commissioner.

Why do you have to label your a democrat or republican just vote for the candidate that best represents the issues you feel.

I dont think that the freedom riders got beat down and suffered through atrocities so we as a people couln't take advantage of opportunity.

You know, Makaho Bedrock, I find it ironic that you would mention the term "freedom riders." If I am not mistaken, the conservatives (both black and white) were against the "freedom riders." They wanted to maintain the status quo. So, who were the freedom riders:

BLACK AND WHITE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS

Where were the conservative Republicans then?

But, aaaannnnyyyyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA

You know, Makaho Bedrock, I find it ironic that you would mention the term "freedom riders." If I am not mistaken, the conservatives (both black and white) were against the "freedom riders." They wanted to maintain the status quo. So, who were the freedom riders:

BLACK AND WHITE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS

Where were the conservative Republicans then?

But, aaaannnnyyyyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Uhh, I dont know the political afffiliation of Goodman, Chaney or Cooper but I happen to know that the civil rights act was passed due to lesiglation primarily from Republicans and some other Democratic legislators from the NORTHERN states. Southern states such as Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and others all had Democratic delegates that overwhelmingly voted NO for civil rights legislation. And there were no black conservatives or liberals back then...because they were too afraid to go to the polls. And guess what, the conservatives were in the Northern states back then...all you had in the south were Democrats/Dixiecrats that wanted to keep the boot on the neck of us as a people.

Let me just run down a portion of early Black Republican History.

1862 Abraham Lincolin (Republican) first president ever to meet with a group of African Americans.

1864 The Republican national convention makes the abortion of slavery it's primary platform.

1868 Oscar J. Dunn(Black Republican) becomes Lieutenant Gov. in Lousiana

1870 Hiram Revels (Black republican) is elected to fill U.S. Senate seat formerly held by Jefferson Davis.

1872 John R. Lynch (Black republican) is elected Speaker of the Mississippi House of Rep.

1875 Blanche K. Bruce becomes the first African-American elected to a full term in Senate.

(Enough history)

By the way, as a result of Jim Crow and other endeavors against our people we were too afraid to go to the polls for a long period of time. But since it's conception the Republican party has never stood in the door to prevent blacks from it's voting rights. If you look at all of the racist bigots that turned dogs and water hoses on us during the 60's...f you take out the DEMOCRATS in the picture, then all you have left is dogs and hoses. By the way, black freedom riders were not democratic or republican, because they were beaten if they tried to go to the polls. We as a people did'nt start voting democrat as a whole until John F. Kennedy under advisement from a staff member telephoned Martin Luther King Jr. when he was in an Alabama jail to wish him well. As a result of this we had the highest voting percentage ever in our history as a people of 41%.

So to answer your question TSU/BAMA I guess the conservative Republicans were in the Northern states pushing their congressman to vote yes for the civil rights act...because they did'nt exist in the south.....they were all democrats.

Well, I think what you just said is a bunch of poppycock, but like I said before, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Hey, we need "black conservatives", what ever that is.:rolleyes: .

My phlilosophy is: If everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking at all.

Back