bigger rivals Bama vs Auburn football or SU vs JSU Bands?

Not even close. People have killed each other over that damn Iron Bowl game.

SU band vs JSU band aint even anywhere near that. Honestly it has been a new school type of rivalry. When I marched SU had more of a band rivalry with FAMU. JSU was big. But not like they have turned it into the last decade and half.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You would think JSU was the only band/school on SU's football schedule the way they act! The band rivalry is really one side with SU's infatuation with JSU and JSU taking an arrogant nonchalant attitude.
icon_thumbsup.gif

Southern has an unhealthy fascination with the Sonic Boom of the South.
crazy-30_files.gif
crazy-33.gif

Last edited:

SU band vs JSU band aint even anywhere near that. Honestly it has been a new school type of rivalry. When I marched SU had more of a band rivalry with FAMU. JSU was big. But not like they have turned it into the last decade and half.

Yep the FAMU rivalry is bigger.

It's hard to compare an FBS in-state FOOTBALL Rival to an FCS band out of state rival even as the boombox battle is highly popular among African Americans it's still nowhere near the auburn bama football rival.

And us not playing FAMU every year is what really flipped it to JSU being our biggest rival. There was all sorts of hate (clean and fun of course) at that 2007 game against FAMU between the bands. If that series had stayed alive, I'm not sure JSU would have topped that rivalry due to us and FAMU being so extremely different. lol

And I assume it's kinda more opinionated because I know plenty of SU alums that prefer the jsu rival more so than Famu. Like someone else said on here maybe back n the day Famu was the it factor for su, just like back n the day a lot of jsu older alums would prefer the jsu vs Grambling rivalry over jsu and su. For example jsu and tenn state. My years n the boom we got hyped about tenn state more so than su. It's all opinions

And I assume it's kinda more opinionated because I know plenty of SU alums that prefer the jsu rival more so than Famu. Like someone else said on here maybe back n the day Famu was the it factor for su, just like back n the day a lot of jsu older alums would prefer the jsu vs Grambling rivalry over jsu and su. For example jsu and tenn state. My years n the boom we got hyped about tenn state more so than su. It's all opinions

Yeah all my years when we saw FAMU that was the battle. Even before in the 90's and 80's. My pops even tells me about the SU vs FAMU battles back in the Ludwig Freeman days. Number1 is right that was always the battle. Grambling too back in the day.

Yeah all my years when we saw FAMU that was the battle. Even before in the 90's and 80's. My pops even tells me about the SU vs FAMU battles back in the Ludwig Freeman days. Number1 is right that was always the battle. Grambling too back in the day.
Yea that's just like during Dr. Liddell days he never mentioned SU as far as a school to pep up for. He liked pepping up for UAPB. Jsu and UAPB use to have 1-1 1/2 hour long 5th. But I think we've gotten far off topic from the title of the thread. BUt the jsu vs Su game is thee epitome of them all in current day hbcu. For old school alum they might beg to differ during there time but as of now, it's all about the boombox. They r even talking about attending this years boombox on the meac fan page.

NOT to get off topic but the hbcu old rivals are returning. SU vs GSU is returning on both ends. Alcorn vs SU & GSU is returning too on both ends. but the last few seasons these swac games have stepped up.

I just wish the boom box had them good field shows the game use to be the total package. now seems as the stands are the main focus....shows are predicate we all expert a diss I missed the balleds too

Reactions: JR
You would think JSU was the only band/school on SU's football schedule the way they act! The band rivalry is really one side with SU's infatuation with JSU and JSU taking an arrogant nonchalant attitude.
icon_thumbsup.gif

Southern has an unhealthy fascination with the Sonic Boom of the South.
crazy-30_files.gif
crazy-33.gif

This is laughable. Surely you have no clue of how SU band folks feel. Its the damn fans who have lost their minds on both sides of this battle. SU band members only compare themselves to other SU band editions. Trust me on that. We are WAYYYYYYYYYYY more arrogant than JSU band folks. If you only knew.

BTW, somebody should question your unhealthy fascination with SU and you have no affliation with no SWAC Band. Just a JSU want to be. LOL.

Yep the FAMU rivalry is bigger.

That Rivalry no longer exists... LOL
Thanks like if JSU and TNState take 10 years off..... what rivalry?
If you were TRUE rivals, you would find a way to play. Your fans would be all in your AD and THEIR AD to make it happen!

If you were TRUE rivals, you would find a way to play. Your fans would be all in your AD and THEIR AD to make it happen!

That has absolutely nothing to do with the band. The SWAC mandate and money games killed that game. It'll be back.

Reactions: JR

Thanks to your Commish and their Commish. We had found a way to play. We had a 4 year deal in place and then FAMU ran Tn State out of the ATL for us for 2 years. The 9 game mandate messed us up and when the MEAC tried to add WS State U that messed FAMU up, only to see WSSU decide to go back to D2. Then we started scheduling them FBS money games and so did they when we had a few chances to play.

FAMU has had a lot of other issues to worry about than football schedules. The 100 had that tragic death with the DM and so on and so on. SU and FAMU folks want that game back. Trust me. But it must be HOME and HOME. I expect something to happen now that we have 4 games to play with.

I blame Pete and Billy Joe for stopping the games. Mostly Pete. Then that allowed stuff to get in the way. The new school Jags have no clue about FAMU. So it aint a rivalry to them football wise. Band wise, Jukes know the FAMU vs SU history no matter what era. But unfortunately FAMU band took a step back. So it is not a foremost thought. But for me. FAMU is number 1. Any SU alum with any years of going to games would tell you the same. Nothing like marching into Bragg Stadium. At one point, Bragg and Mumford had to be the most intimidating HBCU stadiums to play in.

But like Pyscho said. Band wise it has always been FAMU for the Jukebox. If you marched under Doc Greggs you definitely understand that. Which means Haymer knows it too. Hell he marched during those Famous Pete vs Billy Joe games. LOL.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Actually, that battle goes way back to 50's and 60's. When my dad marched in Southern's band in the early 60's, he would tell me stories on how much SU and FAMU bands would try out perform each other. I know some will take this and run with it, but I'm going to say it anyways. By FAMU being in Florida where most people are darker than those in other parts of the country due to the intense exposure to the sun, my dad said they gave FAMU's band the nickname the Marching Tar Babies. I'm sure FAMU had some derogatory nickname(s) for Southern back then. What a lot people don't understand, SU and FAMU have a lot in common. The two cities (Baton Rouge and Tallahassee) the schools are located in are part of the Gulf Coast Region, which at one time was all connected. The parishes north of Lake Pontchartrain and just east of the Mississippi River (East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Washington, and West Feliciana) was once part of Florida, hence the Florida Parishes. I'm sure Black folks along that region are either kin are have some close ties with one another. Unless I'm missing a school or two in the Gulf Port, MS area or the Mobile, AL area, I believe SU and FAMU are the only two HBCUs that are located within that region. Back in the days, Black kids from the Gulf Coast Region were divided between SU and FAMU.

Last edited:
Actually, that battle goes way back to 50's and 60's. When my dad marched in Southern's band in the early 60's, he would tell me stories on how much SU and FAMU bands would try out perform each other. I know some will take this and run with it, but I'm going to say it anyways. By FAMU being in Florida where most people are darker than those in other parts of the country due to the intense exposure to the sun, my dad said they gave FAMU's band the nickname the Marching Tar Babies. I'm sure FAMU had some derogatory nickname(s) for Southern back then. What a lot people don't understand, SU and FAMU have a lot in common. The two cities (Baton Rouge and Tallahassee) the schools are located in are part of the Gulf Coast Region, which at one time was all connected. The parishes north of Lake Pontchartrain and just east of the Mississippi River (East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Washington, and West Feliciana) was once part of Florida, hence the Florida Parishes. I'm sure Black folks along that region are either kin are have some close ties with one another. Unless I'm missing a schools or two in the Gulf Port, MS area or the Mobile, AL area, I believe SU and FAMU are the only two HBCUs that are located within that region. Back in the days, Black kids from the Gulf Coast Region were divided between SU and FAMU.

It goes even farther back. Doc Greggs and Pop Duplessis (former late JSU assistant) told the same story of when they were in the SU band back in the 40s against FAMU. Doc Foster was the Eddie Rob of college bands. He was a young band leader of the 100. This game also matched up the legendary Ace Mumford vs FAMU coaching legend Jake Gaither. SU went on an undefeated run in them late 40s.

You are right about the Gulf Coast and Florida. SU had plenty of Florida kids in the Jukebox with me. We were full of Mobile and Pensacola folks. My LB is from Tampa, had some Ft Pierce folks in the Jukebox, and we had students from South Florida like a mofo. Florida was deep on the SU campus in the 80s. Half of SU basketball team was from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

It goes even farther back. Doc Greggs and Pop Duplessis (former late JSU assistant) told the same story of when they were in the SU band back in the 40s against FAMU. Doc Foster was the Eddie Rob of college bands. He was a young band leader of the 100. This game also matched up the legendary Ace Mumford vs FAMU coaching legend Jake Gaither. SU went on an undefeated run in them late 40s.

You are right about the Gulf Coast and Florida. SU had plenty of Florida kids in the Jukebox with me. We were full of Mobile and Pensacola folks. My LB is from Tampa, had some Ft Pierce folks in the Jukebox, and we had students from South Florida like a mofo. Florida was deep on the SU campus in the 80s. Half of SU basketball team was from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Isn't Haymer from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, like Gulfport, MS??? Your crab brother who is now Prairie Views assistant band director Ralph Chapman is from Mobile, AL. The Gulf Coast was well represented at SU. A lot kids who attended SU came from the Gulf Coast Region.

Isn't Haymer from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, like Gulfport, MS??? Your crab brother who is now Prairie Views assistant band director Ralph Chapman is from Mobile, AL. The Gulf Coast was well represented at SU. A lot kids who attended SU came from the Gulf Coast Region.

Yeah Haymer is from Gulfport. Ralph Chapman is from Mobile. LeFlore HS. We had several from his HS, including Fred Coleman who came in Fall 83. I also had another crab brother on trumpet Keith Randall from Vigor in 84. The Pensacola crew who came in Fall 82 (My frat Bemp) and Joey who played Tuba. Mario Jamison came in 83 from Pcola and my crab brothers Pat Merrill and Ty Garner who also came in 84.

I have a Crab Brother and Line Brother Trell Watts who is your Omega frat who also is from Gulfport. He was the Eflat and then Mellophone section leader. During my time, we had folks from Gulfport, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa, and Ft Pierce, Florida

Yeah Haymer is from Gulfport. Ralph Chapman is from Mobile. LeFlore HS. We had several from his HS, including Fred Coleman who came in Fall 83. I also had another crab brother on trumpet Keith Randall from Vigor in 84. The Pensacola crew who came in Fall 82 (My frat Bemp) and Joey who played Tuba. Mario Jamison came in 83 from Pcola and my crab brothers Pat Merrill and Ty Garner who also came in 84.

I have a Crab Brother and Line Brother Trell Watts who is your Omega frat who also is from Gulfport. He was the Eflat and then Mellophone section leader. During my time, we had folks from Gulfport, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa, and Ft Pierce, Florida

I know most of those dudes. Fred and I was in the same section (saxophone) and crab brothers. Ralph was also in the saxophone section. Mario was my crab brother and we both finished in engineering at the same time (1989). Katrell Watts was also in engineering. I remembered when Katrell and 'Conan' from New Orleans pledged Beta Sigma Chapter of Omegas Psi Phi in 1988. I do believe Conan is also one of your KKPsi line brothers. My section leader and squad leader in 83 Jeffrey Mickles was from Mobile, AL as well and he is also one of your KKPsi frats. Kool-Aid and Eagle Head where from P-Cola. Eagle Head was the one who turn too soon during the JSU game in 83. Two females who finished in Civil Engineering with me were from Mobile. The Gulf Coast was well represented at SU.

I know most of those dudes. Fred and I was in the same section (saxophone) and crab brothers. Ralph was also in the saxophone section. Mario was my crab brother and we both finished in engineering at the same time (1989). Katrell Watts was also in engineering. I remembered when Katrell and 'Conan' from New Orleans pledged Beta Sigma Chapter of Omegas Psi Phi in 1988. I do believe Conan is also one of your KKPsi line brothers. My section leader and squad leader in 83 Jeffrey Mickles was from Mobile, AL as well and he is also one of your KKPsi frats. Kool-Aid and Eagle Head where from P-Cola. Eagle Head was the one who turn too soon during the JSU game in 83. Two females who finished in Civil Engineering with me were from Mobile. The Gulf Coast was well represented at SU.

Conan (Jeff Matthews) came in Fall 85 and pledged KKPSI the year after me in SPR 86 with Bishop Joe Walker, Jesse Lamb from Ft Pierce and Jannsen Brown from Gulfport. Yeah Trell and Conan pledged in SPR88 with on that Omega line with Jamille Emille and my boy from Pcola Rodney Fant who was in Army ROTC. Fant was cool with all his Pcola homeboys in the band. Most were from Booker T Washington or Escambia where Emmitt Smith went to school. Jeff Mickles pledged me. All those SPR81 PSI bruhs. Ironically the lead DM at Texas Southern back then was from Mobile. Him and Mickles went to school together I believe.

Trell, Mario, and quite a few others are in the ATL right now. Conan is in Chattanooga.

Conan (Jeff Matthews) came in Fall 85 and pledged KKPSI the year after me in SPR 86 with Bishop Joe Walker, Jesse Lamb from Ft Pierce and Jannsen Brown from Gulfport. Yeah Trell and Conan pledged in SPR88 with on that Omega line with Jamille Emille and my boy from Pcola Rodney Fant who was in Army ROTC. Fant was cool with all his Pcola homeboys in the band. Most were from Booker T Washington or Escambia where Emmitt Smith went to school. Jeff Mickles pledged me. All those SPR81 PSI bruhs. Ironically the lead DM at Texas Southern back then was from Mobile. Him and Mickles went to school together I believe.

Trell, Mario, and quite a few others are in the ATL right now. Conan is in Chattanooga.

Okay!!! It's good to see all those boys are still well and kicking. Rodney Fant (Wildebeest was his line name) is a very cool Bruh. I ran into him at an Que Conclave.

You know Jeffrey Mickles is the Bruhz now huh?

You know Jeffrey Mickles is the Bruhz now huh?

Didn't know that. Thanks!!! One of these days I'll have to look him up. I know Stanley Lester who's also KKPsi and marched in my squad is a Bruh as well. I ran into him at a 9th District Meeting in Shreveport, which is also his hometown. A lot of former Jukes are Bruhz now. The few Kappas I knew were Warren Hines, my crab brother Mario, and Herb & Jeff. I'm sure there are others. I believe my crab brother and squad member Darryl Johnson is a Sigma. So 3 of us in one squad are Ques now with 1 being a Sigma.

Last edited:
Didn't know that. Thanks!!! One of these days I'll have to look him up. I know Stanley Lester who's also KKPsi and marched in my squad is a Bruh as well. I ran into him at a 9th District Meeting in Shreveport, which is also his hometown. A lot former Jukes are Bruhz now. The few Kappas I knew were Warren Hines, my crab brother Mario, and Herb & Jeff. I'm sure there are others. I believe my crab brother and squad member Darryl Johnson is a Sigma. So 3 of us in one squad are Ques now with 1 being a Sigma.

If you're talking about Jeffery Herb yeah he's a Bruh too! He helped me a lot when I was in high school getting right in my prep for the Jukebox. Saw him in November at the Classic decked out in Nalia. lol

Back