Bethune Cookman graduates boo Betsy Devos and turn their backs on her

I support the students in this one. They have a right to express their feelings if they are willing to suffer the consequences. Why invite her to speak that if she had her way she would close Bethune Cookman.

Or she would close a lot of the public schools from where the students came.

Last edited:
Why invite the devil to dinner?

Was that a movie or some ish

Man who thought this would be a good idea to have her speak smh

Just sad mane...

Shout outs to those students though. I think I'm more upset than them smh

I do not like this. The older I get the more I realize the importance of not showing your hand. Our grandparents understood this. That is why they could get almost anything they wanted from some white folk. Just do not let everybody know what your are thinking. It is chess folks....not checkers.
As Vito Corleone would say, "Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking". We always want to give people a piece of our minds.

Now, having said that...every one of those graduates better give money to the university. You want your leaders to stop groveling? Start giving!

Last edited:

Now, having said that...every one of those graduates better give money to the university. You want your leaders to stop groveling? Start giving!

Why would those students feel some obligation to do that for a school that threatened to mail them their diplomas for showing displeasure over its decision to invite a woman who represents an administration which questions the constitutionality of BCU?

Why would those students feel some obligation to do that for a school that threatened to mail them their diplomas for showing displeasure over its decision to invite a woman who represents an administration which questions the constitutionality of BCU?
You want your leaders to stop groveling? Start giving!

The reason their administration HAS to do sh*t like this is because alumni do not give to support their own school. They say 50,000 B-C alums signed the petition against having her speak. Fine...I am good with that but how many of the 50,000 give back to the school. 50,000 at 100.00 per person goes along way and maybe then they won't have to have the likes of that woman speak at comencement.

50,000 petitioners × 100.00 = 5,000,000.00 per year from the petitioners and you really want to impress 50,000 × 1,000.00 = 50,000,000.00 per year. They may not have to grovel ever again.

Last edited:
I do not like this. The older I get the more I realize the importance of not showing your hand. Our grandparents understood this. That is why they could get almost anything they wanted from some white folk. Just do not let everybody know what your are thinking. It is chess folks....not checkers.
As Vito Corleone would say, "Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking". We always want to give people a piece of our minds.

Those grads worked hard and earned their degrees. They have a right to not be insulted at their own commencement ceremony. The bcc administration did not listen to the students; thereby sowing the seeds of discord before they even become alumni. And no offense....but what are you smoking?lol. What was this benelovence that our grandparents supposedly enjoyed from white folks for doing things the " right" way? Because it sure as hell wasn't in the form of civil rights, equal access to housing,employment,education,etc. Sorry...but I can't support that way of thinking

Last edited:
Those grads worked hard and earned their degrees. They have a right to not be insulted at their own commencement ceremony. The bcc administration did not listen to the students; thereby sowing the seeds of discord before they even graduate. And no offense....but what are you smoking?lol. Where was this benelovence that our grandparents supposedly enjoyed from white folks for doing things the " right" way? Because it sure as hell wasn't in the form of civil rights, equal access to housing,employment,education,etc. Sorry...but I can't support that way of thinking
Why do you think the administration had a choice? The edict for her to speak may have come from the board of regents or the state. Stop thinking with emotions and learn to play the game.

Why do you think the administration had a choice? The edict for her to speak may have come from the board of regents or the state. Stop thinking with emotions and learn to play the game.

Bcc is a private university. The state had no say in this. This decision came from bcc's tone deaf administration. As did the efforts to suppress free speech which lead to the naacp and aclu to condemn the administration's actions. And what game is being played here? It sounds like the same "game" that brought all of those HBCU presidents to dc for their photo op. There's a difference between "playing the game" and basically getting played.

The irony of Betsy Devos getting an honorary Ph.D. from an HBCU, while representing an administration that used HBCUs as a photo-op.
I get it. I was as upset as they are when I heard just like I am about the keynote for the sTu commencement this Saturday.
Why do we have to always let others know what we are thinking. Make them guess some of the time.

I have clients I know are *rump supporters. They have no clue what my politics are. They pay well and quickly and never question what I charge. As long as I do the job they pay. Now I could go in there spouting my political views and come away without a good paying client. Who loses?

Bcc is a private university. The state had no say in this. This decision came from bcc's tone deaf administration. As did the efforts to suppress free speech which lead to the naacp and aclu to condemn the administration's actions. And what game is being played here? It sounds like the same "game" that brought all of those HBCU presidents to dc for their photo op. There's a difference between "playing the game" and basically getting played.
Do you really believe that because they are private they call their own shots? Okay....

I was not in favor of those presidents running to Washington.

Do you really believe that because they are private they call their own shots? Okay....
It was their own decision. I guarantee FAMU wouldn't dare invite her to speak at a commencement. I can see if BCU brought her in for her "alternative" views for a town hall, but not at a graduation ceremony. Completely wrong venue to invite a controversial figure that stood a 99.99999% chance of being received negatively. Then to threatening the students on national tv just made the situation worse.

You want your leaders to stop groveling? Start giving!

The reason their administration HAS to do sh*t like this is because alumni do not give to support their own school.

Like schools in way better financial situations than BCU don't try to grease the wheels of those in power that get what they want.

It was their own decision. I guarantee FAMU wouldn't dare invite her to speak at a commencement. I can see if BCU brought her in for her "alternative" views for a town hall, but not at a graduation ceremony. Completely wrong venue to invite a controversial figure that stood a 99.99999% chance of being received negatively. Then to threatening the students on national tv just made the situation worse.
I am in no way condoning the invite. But again I say...if you want total autonomy and do not want your admin/regents/governing board groveling for finance then financially support your university.

See my edit of my original post. Why do people keep dodging the issue of giving back financially to the institutions they graduated from? If B-C did not need financial favors there would be no need to bring in that woman.

I am in no way condoning the invite. But again I say...if you want total autonomy and do not want your admin/regents/governing board groveling for finance then financially support your university.

See my edit of my original post. Why do people keep dodging the issue of giving back financially to the institutions they graduated from? If B-C did not need financial favors there would be no need to bring in that woman.

Very simple, some of these institutions that are headed by the cat that cape for that white CAC don't have any vision, just up there just to be seen/hold a position.
Some of the alums don't see the university trying to move forward. Nothing is presented to these alums that's tangible for them to (want) to donate back.

Ppl are not going to give back 100 a month just because they graduated from there.

Put it like this. If my mom went to University A in 1980 and now in 2017 I've graduated and it dayum near looks like it looked in 1980. Who fault is that? the alum or the administration for not preparing something tangible to enhance the university, Where's your 10-15 year layout plan for the University?

You have to have think tank meeting/alumni meetings/community meetings and present something to the alums on what your vision is for the University and show them where their money is going to.

Then the university have to put up their own money and show that they are investing in the vision themselves.

Give Give Give chant to alums won't get it anymore especially with this generation. We wanna see receipts on what the money is doing for the University.

I'm not knocking what you're saying, but just saying give back won't cut it. Both parties have to meet and I feel the administration has to do more than the alumni to make the alums want to give that 100 a month.

As I stated, you wouldn't give yo brother 100 a month and not ask where the money is going and what that 100 a month is doing, you'd want to see a layout of something before you start giving and you'd want to see him investing his own money into building whatever that is he's doing.

Where's your vision.

Hell the students are better than some of GSU folk....we would have walked the hell out and said mail the damn diploma.

Yet, before she even got there when they announced she would be the speaker we would have said oh hell no. It would not be a graduate in the building. That weak ass, pussy ass. dick in the booty ass President and SGA President need their Uncle Tom asses beat for their cowardice support of this women who could give a damn less about the needs of a HBCU.

This could have simply been avoided by not inviting her and inviting someone else. They could have easily invited a number of other successful politicians or business people(not even limited to AA people) and did this with no controversy.

So the question remains, why did the president of this university do this? My theory is that some kind of deal was made between this president and the administration during that meeting of the HBCU presidents. I believe that there are workings to undermine funding of HBCUs or to purposely hinder them. I believe that this event was set up by the administration to be used later as to why they should be de-funded. I believe that the president of BCU is setting up himself to have some kind of position or leverage during the period when the current administration starts their attack on HBCUs

Back