Bethune Cookman graduates boo Betsy Devos and turn their backs on her

This could have simply been avoided by not inviting her and inviting someone else. They could have easily invited a number of other successful politicians or business people(not even limited to AA people) and did this with no controversy.

So the question remains, why did the president of this university do this? My theory is that some kind of deal was made between this president and the administration during that meeting of the HBCU presidents. I believe that there are workings to undermine funding of HBCUs or to purposely hinder them. I believe that this event was set up by the administration to be used later as to why they should be de-funded. I believe that the president of BCU is setting up himself to have some kind of position or leverage during the period when the current administration starts their attack on HBCUs

Was he one of the ones shucking and jiving in front of Trump in the picture?

It would have been far too easy for the students who didn't want to hear her speak to simply get up and walk out the door w/ their family in tow and simultaneously plannedw/ consorts of like minds for the pending ouster of whomever was responsible for inviting that woman to the once esteemed graduation ceremony.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
If that was the president walking back and forth...he LOOKS out of touch for today's kids. I kept thinking, somebody needs to tell him he's on TV...with all that gesturing, facial expressions, etc.

I have another theory about why this happened.

Devos didn't pick BCU randomly. She picked it because it is a private university founded by Mary Mcleod Bethune. She is going to use this as fuel for her vision of the elimination of public education.

She is going to invert that school's founder's vision and start a campaign that private institutions are more valuable to AAs than public institutions. I predict the administration doing more PR things(even bad PR is still PR) with
other private HBCUs to help discredit public HBCUs

The part I'm amazed at s the President thought these kids would behave and not make it known they weren't happy. These old folks better realize folks in 2017 will not be quite and bow down to racisim.

I do not like this. The older I get the more I realize the importance of not showing your hand. Our grandparents understood this. That is why they could get almost anything they wanted from some white folk. Just do not let everybody know what your are thinking. It is chess folks....not checkers.
As Vito Corleone would say, "Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking". We always want to give people a piece of our minds.

Now, having said that...every one of those graduates better give money to the university. You want your leaders to stop groveling? Start giving!

It hurts me to say this, but one of the problems with our HBCUs is that they don't take into consideration that freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors are potential alumni. They don't stop and think about this when the Registrar gives them the run around, or when Financial Aid refuses to answer the phone, or when Admissions speaks rudely to them and their parents. These students adamantly and vociferously stated they did NOT want Devos speaking at their commencement, but administration once again did not take their concerns seriously. Then, the threat to have their degrees mailed to them adds fuel to the fire. So, guess what mindset the BCU Class of 2017 will have when the alumni association comes calling? The BCU Class of 2017 could have the thought process, "You threatened to mail back my degree, I'll threaten to NOT mail my money".

While it shouldn't hinder them from giving back, it's a factor when the transition from student to alumni takes place. Even though people will do what they want with their money, I honestly think that if more HBCUs were to remember this, they'd see more alumni giving back.

Very simple, some of these institutions that are headed by the cat that cape for that white CAC don't have any vision, just up there just to be seen/hold a position.
Some of the alums don't see the university trying to move forward. Nothing is presented to these alums that's tangible for them to (want) to donate back.

Ppl are not going to give back 100 a month just because they graduated from there.

Put it like this. If my mom went to University A in 1980 and now in 2017 I've graduated and it dayum near looks like it looked in 1980. Who fault is that? the alum or the administration for not preparing something tangible to enhance the university, Where's your 10-15 year layout plan for the University?

You have to have think tank meeting/alumni meetings/community meetings and present something to the alums on what your vision is for the University and show them where their money is going to.

Then the university have to put up their own money and show that they are investing in the vision themselves.

Give Give Give chant to alums won't get it anymore especially with this generation. We wanna see receipts on what the money is doing for the University.

I'm not knocking what you're saying, but just saying give back won't cut it. Both parties have to meet and I feel the administration has to do more than the alumni to make the alums want to give that 100 a month.

As I stated, you wouldn't give yo brother 100 a month and not ask where the money is going and what that 100 a month is doing, you'd want to see a layout of something before you start giving and you'd want to see him investing his own money into building whatever that is he's doing.

Where's your vision.
I meant $100.00 per year.

LOL...

18519623_10213071162358168_4341081752020593364_n.jpg

One of my co-workers told me this morning that Dr. Evelyn Bethune, granddaughter of the late Mary McCloud Bethune, spoke with Roland Martin on TJMS this morning about Betsy Devos addressing the Bethune Cookman University. I don't listen to Tom Joyner, so I asked my co-worker what Dr. Bethune said; my co-worker told me that Dr. Bethune was NOT happy about it and that she was in agreement with the BCU Class of 2017.

Again, I'm just going by what my co-worker said.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
One of my co-workers told me this morning that Dr. Evelyn Bethune, granddaughter of the late Mary McCloud Bethune, spoke with Roland Martin on TJMS this morning about Betsy Devos addressing the Bethune Cookman University. I don't listen to Tom Joyner, so I asked my co-worker what Dr. Bethune said; my co-worker told me that Dr. Bethune was NOT happy about it and that she was in agreement with the BCU Class of 2017.

Again, I'm just going by what my co-worker said.
I heard the same thing.

Back