Beauty Shop

dSWACizJSU said:
i am a little disappointed with Latifah because not 10 years ago she was all this black power and the strong black woman.....respect yourselves....blah blah blah and she has become what she used to rap about. :tdown: oh what the heck.......go head and get the money.

I was just thinking that.

I have this old Boondocks comics where Huey and Ceasar revoke her Blackness and refer to her as Queen Whoopi. :lol: :lol:
She has come along way from UNITY and Ladies First.

Don't get me wrong, the basis of the movie is a good one, and Latifah plays a strong black woman in this movie. It's just, I thought they did a lot of reaching.

Basically, the movie is about a beautician (Latifah) who moved from Chicago to Atlanta when her husband died, and her daughter got accepted into a prestigious school of the arts. She got a job at an exclusive salon a la Vida Sassoon, or the like. The clientel (sp) at the shop was mainly rich white women, and she recieved a lot of accolades from the customers. However, her and the salon owner (Kevin Bacon) didn't see eye to eye as to how Latifah handled her business, so she quit, and opened her own salon.

She opened the salon in the SWATS, and some of the rich women from the other salon followed Latifah to her shop when they couldn't get satisfaction from the other place. She also bought a white stylist from the old shop with her. The girl did black hair in beauty shows, but was relegated to the shampoo girl in the old place, so Latifah gave her a shot at her place.

There's more, but I don't want to give it all away.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Don't get me wrong, the basis of the movie is a good one, and Latifah plays a strong black woman in this movie. It's just, I thought they did a lot of reaching.

Basically, the movie is about a beautician (Latifah) who moved from Chicago to Atlanta when her husband died, and her daughter got accepted into a prestigious school of the arts. She got a job at an exclusive salon a la Vida Sassoon, or the like. The clientel (sp) at the shop was mainly rich white women, and she recieved a lot of accolades from the customers. However, her and the salon owner (Kevin Bacon) didn't see eye to eye as to how Latifah handled her business, so she quit, and opened her own salon.

She opened the salon in the SWATS, and some of the rich women from the other salon followed Latifah to her shop when they couldn't get satisfaction from the other place. She also bought a white stylist from the old shop with her. The girl did black hair in beauty shows, but was relegated to the shampoo girl in the old place, so Latifah gave her a shot at her place.

There's more, but I don't want to give it all away.

NICE
You are right, they are reaching big time. They will find a way to get a white person in a movie that supposed to be Black.

Well, contrary to how I thought I would feel and how Dnice feels, I thought it was pretty good. I didn't go in expecting much. That may be why I came out thinking it can get my thumbs up. I thought Latifah did a good job and so did Alicia and everyone else. It was funny all through out. Great assorted cast. Good storyline. I will see it again before it leaves the theater. My opinion.

JSTUS said:
Well, contrary to how I thought I would feel and how Dnice feels, I thought it was pretty good. I didn't go in expecting much. That may be why I came out thinking it can get my thumbs up. I thought Latifah did a good job and so did Alicia and everyone else. It was funny all through out. Great assorted cast. Good storyline. I will see it again before it leaves the theater. My opinion.

I agree --- and Rudy is all grown up and looking good!!!!

Ok, I check it out. Not bad. It had a decent story line to the point that it kept my attention.

The surprise for me was RUDY!!!!!! Good lawd!!

I saw the movie. Didn't like it that much. I like Queen Latifah. But the rest of the cast, writing, editing, psuedo jokes, and played out stereotypes was too much. It sucked!!!

Back