Beauty Shop

D-NICE

Retired Milkman
Who's had a chance to see Beauty Shop? I saw this past Friday, and I wasn't impressed at all. Though the movie was OK, it left a lot to be desired. After replaying it in my mind, it just didn't measure up to Barbershop.

I think if they would've just let the movie stand on it's own 2 feet instead of tying it into the Barbershop brand, I may have had a different take on it, other than a few funny scenes........as Randy Jackson would say, it was just OK for me.

If you don't have anything else to do, and you just want to go to the movies, you should see it, but otherwise I would recommend waiting for the DVD release.

Without trying to give the movie away, I think the thing that hurt this movie the most for me was, it was trying to hard to have crossover appeal. I think Latifah needs to take a few steps back, and see what made her so popular.

NICE

I still may check it out, depending on how I feel on the weekends.
I LOVE Latifah but her movies suck, in my opinion (with the exception of "Set It Off"). The last two movies (Bringing Down the House and Cookout) were entirely too stereotypical of blacks.

I haven't really heard any reviews about this movie, at all...other than the folks on the radio, and they said it was just ok, too.

I'm going to see it, this w/e.

D-NICE said:
Who's had a chance to see Beauty Shop? I saw this past Friday, and I wasn't impressed at all. The movie though OK, it left a lot to be desired. After replaying it in my mind, it just didn't measure up to Barbershop.

I think if they would've just let the movie stand on it's own 2 feet instead of tying it into the Barbershop brand, I may have had a different take on it, other than a few funny scenes........as Randy Jackson would say, it was just OK for me.

If you don't have anything else to do, and you just want to go to the movies, you should see it, but otherwise I would recommend waiting for the DVD release.

Without trying to give the movie away, I think the thing that hurt this movie the most for me was, it was trying to hard to have crossover appeal. I think Latifah needs to take a few steps back, and see what made her so popular.

NICE
True. I'm thinking the same way too. You think those 7 figure advances she is getting from those movies making her think otherwise? That kind of money talks very loud,can't hear anything else. :headphone:

I didn't expect this movie to be as good as BarberShop was, anyway...they could never top those, in my opinion. :tup:

pbla said:
True. I'm thinking the same way too. You think those 7 figure advances she is getting from those movies making her think otherwise? That kind of money talks very loud,can't hear anything else. :headphone:

Those 7 figures definitely plays a role. I just thought this movie was too out there, and Andie McDowell's character had no purpose for being in the movie at all, other than crossover appeal. Her character added nothing whatsoever to the movie, and neither did Russell Simmons' wife's character.

I'd be surprised if there's a sequel to this movie.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Those 7 figures definitely plays a role. I just thought this movie was too out there, and Andie McDowell's character had no purpose for being in the movie at all, other than crossover appeal. Her character added nothing whatsoever to the movie, and neither did Russell Simmons' wife's character.

I'd be surprised if there's a sequel to this movie.

NICE
Well I know here the movie is not receiving much accolades from the Black community, even though Lil JJ from Little Rock is in the movie, some feel that you are not going to find white women in a Black beauty shop,especially here in Little Rock.Is the movie about a Black beauty shop? I haven't seen the movie,I might check it out when it's own DVD. :D

yeah pbla, it is about a black beauty shop and you're right, white women will NOT be seen in one, unless she owns it.

LOL

If you look at Latifah's last two movies, those movies were also reaching for crossover appeal.

Well, I didn't like Barbershop but, I'm still gonna check this one out. Hopefully, it'll be worth my $4.75.

i am a little disappointed with Latifah because not 10 years ago she was all this black power and the strong black woman.....respect yourselves....blah blah blah and she has become what she used to rap about. :tdown: oh what the heck.......go head and get the money.

dSWACizJSU said:
i am a little disappointed with Latifah because not 10 years ago she was all this black power and the strong black woman.....respect yourselves....blah blah blah and she has become what she used to rap about. :tdown: oh what the heck.......go head and get the money.
I have never seen Latifah do/say anything disrespectful...nor, have I ever seen her as anything else, other than a strong black woman.

What is sooooo wrong w/what Queen is doing now? I'm :confused: as hell, w/some of these comments. There's nothing wrong w/her making her money. hell, Will Smith has waaaaaaaaaay more white fans than black...that doesn't make him any less black.

Just my .02.

Another "Soul Plane" type movie. I'll pass.

Either a lot of directors have no originality or Hollyweird is only approving certain type of movies.

Killer Bees said:
Another "Soul Plane" type movie. I'll pass.

Either a lot of directors have no originality or Hollyweird is only approving certain type of movies.

It's Both.

SU's Finest '93 said:
What is sooooo wrong w/what Queen is doing now? I'm :confused: as hell, w/some of these comments. There's nothing wrong w/her making her money.

Queen is doing her thing, and I ain't mad at her. :tup: Her movies in the past just have not been good, in my opinion. But I love her as an actress... just maybe not as a movie producer.

SU's Finest '93 said:
I have never seen Latifah do/say anything disrespectful...nor, have I ever seen her as anything else, other than a strong black woman.

What is sooooo wrong w/what Queen is doing now? I'm :confused: as hell, w/some of these comments. There's nothing wrong w/her making her money. hell, Will Smith has waaaaaaaaaay more white fans than black...that doesn't make him any less black.

Just my .02.

i didn't say she was a sellout or a portraying herself as disrespectful, she is just totally opposite the image she used to portray.........and fugg will smith, and he is rapping again.

dSWACizJSU said:
i didn't say she was a sellout or a portraying herself as disrespectful, she is just totally opposite the image she used to portray.

I can almost see where you're coming from. Back then, she gave off the impression as strong, no-nonsense/powerful black woman. And now, her image is just softer (which it is), which doesn't mean that it's a wrong or a bad thing.

I like Latifah. She is a beautiful woman to me.

CriTAUcal said:
I can almost see where you're coming from. Back then, she gave off the impression as strong, no-nonsense/powerful black woman. And now, her image is just softer (which it is), which doesn't mean that it's a wrong or a bad thing.

I like Latifah. She is a beautiful woman to me.
Exactly...I think she meant to change that ghetto-hard ass mentality...which I believe is a good thing. She use to act more manly, now she's more lady-like. I give her props for that...:tup:

I remember I did a movie in 1991, "Stone Cold" starring Brian"The Boz" Bosworth, and the assistant director told me that "Art does not sell, but trash will".I understood what he was talking about. Queen is getting her money.

pbla said:
I remember I did a movie in 1991, "Stone Cold" starring Brian"The Boz" Bosworth, and the assistant director told me that "Art does not sell, but trash will".I understood what he was talking about. Queen is getting her money.
What did you do, in the movie, pbla?

SU's Finest '93 said:
Exactly...I think she meant to change that ghetto-hard ass mentality...which I believe is a good thing. She use to act more manly, now she's more lady-like. I give her props for that...:tup:

Me too!

pbla said:

Oh, so we got a superstar over here?!?!?! :D

SU's Finest '93 said:
What did you do, in the movie, pbla?
FBI agent as an extra. I told the AD that I was into photography and I would like to see how they set up, block-out(plan the movement in scene),the scenes.If I was not in a scene, I was on the set watching how the set up the shots.

SU's Finest '93 said:
Co-Sign.
Will Smith, Ice Cube, Xibit. Forget it, Lets expand. Jamie Fox, Halle Berry, Eddie Murphy. All changed to make money in movies.

Make that money if you can...

Back