battle of the drummers

Originally posted by GoodFella
Im gonna tell you like this, the Box is not gonna wreck on KRANK.....
na'll we don't want to wreck ya'll we just want ya'll to come down holla at us when ya'll get here and we will come kick it with ya'll and show ya'll a good time in the big city.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well, I have to throw in my hat for TnSU. I know somebody out there don't want to hear it but I said it any way. If it wasn't for the five stroke roll a lot of percussion sections would S.O.L. As far as technicality I have to say that TnSU racks among the top of college sections across the board. Alot of the cadences that schools play have a lot in common. This is mainly attributed to the fact that a lot of the well known sections out there play cadences wrote by or have instructors that were taught by Johnny Lee Lane. If you don't know who that is then you are missing a valueable piece of information about percussion.

Johnny Lee Lane? I've heard of that cat. The last time I did hear of him was when he retired as a percussion instructor. Did he direct in some lines before he was an all around instructor?

Originally posted by Mastermind
Johnny Lee Lane? I've heard of that cat. The last time I did hear of him was when he retired as a percussion instructor. Did he direct in some lines before he was an all around instructor?
I THINK THAT CAT WAS FROM TENN STATE. I HEARD THAT HE WAS PRETTY COLD BACK IN THE GAME, SO MUCH LOVE TO THAT CAT FOR PASSING THE TORCH. I HOPE AT THE END OF MY REIGN THAT DRUMMERS SHINE ME IN THE SAME LIGHT AS MR. JOHNNY LEE LANE..............

Originally posted by GoodFella
We will see when PB comes to Houston.....
:redhot: :redhot: That's right Mr. Goodfella....you will see the new equipment played by the best.......Look twice when them "cheezits" come at you.................:redhot: :redhot:

Originally posted by MightyMouse01
Well, I have to throw in my hat for TnSU. I know somebody out there don't want to hear it but I said it any way. If it wasn't for the five stroke roll a lot of percussion sections would S.O.L. As far as technicality I have to say that TnSU racks among the top of college sections across the board. Alot of the cadences that schools play have a lot in common. This is mainly attributed to the fact that a lot of the well known sections out there play cadences wrote by or have instructors that were taught by Johnny Lee Lane. If you don't know who that is then you are missing a valueable piece of information about percussion.
:redhot: :redhot: TnSU......What???##%! C'mon now.....Be serious ........"Leg Tenor Drums" is all I have to say.....End of discussion:lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by DaBOX 96' Snare
:redhot: :redhot: TnSU......What???##%! C'mon now.....Be serious ........"Leg Tenor Drums" is all I have to say.....End of discussion:lmao: :lmao:
cut'em some slack curious, that is the east coast way:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they have not graduated to the real yet or may nobody that know how to play upright tenors have kicked their azzzzzzes yet:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

^^^I wouldn't say that too loud, SKIP. Bethune Cookman's "Sudden Impact" is a very tight sounding drumline with chest tenors.

Originally posted by Mastermind
^^^I wouldn't say that too loud, SKIP. Bethune Cookman's "Sudden Impact" is a very tight sounding drumline with chest tenors.
my thing is that if bcc is as cold as you say then what is the deal????? if somebody beat up on me marching upright and i am marching down right i would have to rethink my ideology about which way i want to play. but that's only if i got beatup on hint hint hint..........:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually outside of the Swac I would rank percussion sections from what Ive seen as

MDFS-NSU
RatPatrol-TnSU
Sudden Impact-BCC

MDFS-Combines Corp Style with Funk and Showstyle. They look tight in block formation. Makes you say damn....

RatPatrol-They add a lot of color to the TnSU sound. This is hard to do for a percussion section. The way they move and play at the same time looks good. The snares are chopping.

Sudden Impact-Them boys are funky, the will play all day and all night. The last time I saw them was in 2000 against Morris Brown.....

Ive heard of the Johnny Lane cat, I think he was at the BOTB in Mmephis last year. That is where he is from....

Here we go, like I said everybody ain't goin' like it. But back in the day TnSU was one of the pioneering schools to have upright tenors. But along the way somebody changed the style. I like P.V and even considered going but ya'll don't go nowhere. Maybe ya'll shpuld join up with Willowridge and get somemore exposure other than the State Fair Classic.:) :) :) And I still ain't mad at cha'

Lane

Well, Johnny Lane gets around. He was head band director at TnSU a long time ago and he went somewhere else after that. He recently retired from Eastern Illinios last year and his old section was tight as hell. Imagine SU's section without straps, same drums, predominitely white playing Midnight.. "Eastern is the best band in the land....." Get the picture.. TnSU's per. instructor, JSU's former Per. Ins (now at Norfolk) and quite a few others are some of Johnny Lane's old students.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DaBox

By da' way I happen to know how to play an upright tenor drum, as a matter of fact quite a few of TnSU's current and former tenor drummers play upright. If you can find some footage of the Memphis Alumni Band all of the TnSU tenors from Memphis were playing upright. So basically it's by force not choice.

Here we go, like I said everybody ain't goin' like it. But back in the day TnSU was one of the pioneering schools to have upright tenors. But along the way somebody changed the style. I like P.V and even considered going but ya'll don't go nowhere. Maybe ya'll shpuld join up with Willowridge and get somemore exposure other than the State Fair Classic.:) :) :) And I still ain't mad at cha'
i know that it is ashame that p.v. never travel outside our usual, for some reason we can never get funding but hopefully soon we will have a chance to travel.

Re: DaBox

By da' way I happen to know how to play an upright tenor drum, as a matter of fact quite a few of TnSU's current and former tenor drummers play upright. If you can find some footage of the Memphis Alumni Band all of the TnSU tenors from Memphis were playing upright. So basically it's by force not choice.
everybody has their right to choice and that's ok, but why would you choose to have your sound go straight into the ground and disappear although you may get risidual sound that people will hear but the main tone and effect is lost in the grass or the turf or ground itself. i am an expert on this subject matter so take into consideration that the ground is a natural muffler, case in point, why do you suppose that a band director goes crazy when he see's a trumpet,b-tone,t-bone, or a f-horn pointing his horn towards the ground??????????? the answer would be because if you blow towards the ground, the ground would absorb the sound and not allow it to meet it's full sound capability, which is also known as muffling the sound. just because it's a drum and you feel that you can play harder and compensate for this muffing is not a correct ideology the ground still sucks up the sound. back in 1987 when i crabbed da box, we marched downright tenors, i came from kashmere high in houston and we marched upright, we constantly had conflicts about up and downright but that arguement was over when i battled the tenor drum capt at the time. the deal was that if i beat him playing and sound wise we would go upright and if he beat me we would stay downright, needless to say we have been upright ever since.;) ;) ;) holla back

You do know Willowridge (my alma mater) is a feeder school to PV right?

Originally posted by lilC
You do know Willowridge (my alma mater) is a feeder school to PV right?
oh yeah i didn't know you went to the ridge and you are I>C>E. i teach the drum section at marshall too. that F.Y.A

TnSU drummers did not impress me at all when we saw them last season. maybe that was a bad year or somthing but they left alot to be desired. But then again I come from a high school and college with cold arse sections. Maybe my expectations are to high :D

Originally posted by solophone96
TnSU drummers did not impress me at all when we saw them last season. maybe that was a bad year or somthing but they left alot to be desired. But then again I come from a high school and college with cold arse sections. Maybe my expectations are to high :D
:redhot: :redhot: Tell it like it is brutha:redhot: :redhot:

Originally posted by SKIP
oh yeah i didn't know you went to the ridge and you are I>C>E. i teach the drum section at marshall too. that F.Y.A

No. I'm not ICE, I play the trombone.:lmao: I'm one of Keagan's legacies. I was making a point to him that Willowridge and PV are not like other highschools that try to blow on colleges. The next level for alot of Willowridge grads has always been and will be PV.

Best drumsection

I DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT NO ONE SAYS KRANK IS THE BEST DRUM LINE IN THE SWAC. KRANK OF UAPB IS THE **** AND CANT NO OTHER DRUMLINE TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!!

Re: Best drumsection

Originally posted by LION 05
I DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT NO ONE SAYS KRANK IS THE BEST DRUM LINE IN THE SWAC. KRANK OF UAPB IS THE **** AND CANT NO OTHER DRUMLINE TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!!
calm yourself kid. Krank is not the coldest in the swac thye are the coldest to you. but keep up the school spirit and your inspiration will carry you to greatness.ha ha ha ha ha ha that's bull sh-t. but calm yourself anyway and keep reading what grown folks are talking about....................don't get your boys spank.:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Back