'Bama St. BOT Against 9-game Mandate

majiksity

King/Queen Maker
In another area, the university is seeking approval from the Southwestern Athletic Conference to allow the university's football team to have a seven-game conference schedule. That would free up four dates that could be used for high-profile games, Lee said.

"It's a recommendation to the SWAC coming from the board in support of changing that mandatory nine-game schedule that requires SWAC teams to play each SWAC team," Lee said.

"The benefit of having those four games outside of the SWAC, monetarily, could be quite lucrative."

This is from yesterday's BOT meeting. This may be a way to force the SWAC's hand on this issue. We have been told the Council of Presidents made the recommendation of the 9-game mandate - perhaps we should have been hitting our respective BOT at each school to take up this issue. Presidents answer to the Boards and if all the Boards take this same postion as Alabama St., the Presidents would have no choice but to kill this mandate. Just a thought.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
majiksity,

You beat me to it, on this one.

The bottom line here is that Alabama State has put the SWAC office on notice. And that notice is that we don't intend to play NINE SWAC schools in 2005. Period.

Personally, I think that this is a brilliant move on the part of the Board of Trustees. The nine game mandate is costing us money, and something needs to be done about it.

As it currently stands, Bama State will play Tuskegee next year (as always) which will take one of our non-conference slots. We are close to sealing a multi-year deal to play FAMU in Mobile, which will take another non-conference slot. With the nine game mandate, we would have NO MORE slots left to play other teams that would generate revenue.

I have heard that the Circle City Classic wants us to play there next year, but if we are forced to play a SWAC west team like Prairie View, Texas Southern or Pine Bluff, AND MAKE NO MONEY, then our hands are tied.

Bama State has fired the first shot. Let the battle begin.

This brings tears to my eyes. To see a school take an assertive action against this garbage policy is wonderful. I hope others follow suit and put an end to this dumbness.

And yeah we have heard who asked for this mess, and whoever from JSU that wanted this mess is an idiot.

Deuce said:
Personally, I think that this is a brilliant move on the part of the Board of Trustees.
Brilliant....ASU Board of Trustees.....isht that's an oxymoron if I ever heard of one

Deuce said:
I have heard that the Circle City Classic wants us to play there next year, but if we are forced to play a SWAC west team like Prairie View, Texas Southern or Pine Bluff, AND MAKE NO MONEY, then our hands are tied.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard. For the past 10 years, UAPB has played all SWAC teams each year except this year. Why is it that for 10 years, you played teams like UAPB when you were not forced to and it NOT being a conference game and NOT (so-called) making money and now all of the sudden its a problem.

You are basically saying that all you want to do is play GSU or SU from the West. If your fans don't come to support your team when UAPB comes to town, that's your problem.

Da_Sperm said:
You are basically saying that all you want to do is play GSU or SU from the West..

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.

Pine Bluff has nothing to offer to Alabama State, and we would be far better off by scheduling a non-conference game that would be of more interest to our fans, and generate more revenue.

Even someone from Arkansas should be able to understand that.

Deuce said:

Pine Bluff has nothing to offer to Alabama State, and we would be far better off by scheduling a non-conference game that would be of more interest to our fans, and generate more revenue.

So I guess no team in the SEC West should ever schedule Kentucky or Vandy.
So I guess no team in the Big12 North should ever schedule Baylor.

It amazes me how people on this board think. Its almost sad. You are saying that ASU can make more money on the road at a classic versus having a home game against UAPB?

UAPB had over 12,500 at its first home game against BCC. There was probably 10 fans from BCC and no BCC band. So it was really 100% UAPB money that filled up the stands. That game probably generated $200,000, which is about the payout of the classic. You are ASU. You can't get ASU fans in a ASU stadium unless its SU or GSU? You are not an ASU fan, you are a GSU or SU fan. :lmao:

Deuce said:

If thats the case then why don't ya'll just leave the conferance and you can schedule all 11 games yourself and see how much money you can actually make.

Deuce said:

I'm so glad to see that ASU is taking this stand. I hope that other schools follow suit. The only mandate that should occur is to have to play everyone in your conference (East play all of the east, West play all of the west). The addition is a set number of games (2 or 3) against the other conference. The rest of the games should be open for profitable higher profile games. This will bring the overall level of competition up and our credibility with other conferences.

Fiyah said:
If thats the case then why don't ya'll just leave the conferance and you can schedule all 11 games yourself and see how much money you can actually make.

I have an even better idea.

Why don't Texas Southern, Prairie View and Pine Sol, get the "L" outta the conference and go to the NAIA where they belong.

:nod2:

I agree with Bama State on this....but if the SWAC keeps getting punked like this they are riskin' falling apart. ya kno....*shrug*.

thedesr said:
IThe only mandate that should occur is to have to play everyone in your conference (East play all of the east, West play all of the west). The addition is a set number of games (2 or 3) against the other conference. The rest of the games should be open for profitable higher profile games.

Isn't that the format we just came from a year ago? Why didn't that work? Oh, because there are SWAC teams in opposite divisions that did not want to see their rivalries ended (SU/JSU, GSU/Alcorn).

Fiyah said:
It would be better if you left since you are one of the schools that nobody wants to play.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm,

This is the dumbest thing I've heard. For the past 10 years, UAPB has played all SWAC teams each year except this year. Why is it that for 10 years, you played teams like UAPB when you were not forced to and it NOT being a conference game and NOT (so-called) making money and now all of the sudden its a problem.

You are basically saying that all you want to do is play GSU or SU from the West. If your fans don't come to support your team when UAPB comes to town, that's your problem.

The Alabama State BOT did not say that they would only play GSU and SU as apart of their suggestion to be required to participate in the 7 game mandate every year.

In another area, the university is seeking approval from the Southwestern Athletic Conference to allow the university's football team to have a seven-game conference schedule. That would free up four dates that could be used for high-profile games, Lee said.

"It's a recommendation to the SWAC coming from the board in support of changing that mandatory nine-game schedule that requires SWAC teams to play each SWAC team," Lee said.

"The benefit of having those four games outside of the SWAC, monetarily, could be quite lucrative."

What have here in the SWAC is that line from "MACBETH" and that is "POWER CORRUPTS AND ABSOULUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!" When a lot of money come into a family who never had access to money, everybody in the family just lose focus and just go crazy. Everybody acts a dayum fool when it comes to money.ESPECIALLY *****S!!. The "crabs in the barrel principle is well at work in the SWAC".There is always a conflict when one person or group think they are better than someone else.

If I am missing something please let me know... but didn't the SWAC office make it clear that starting next year they will create the 7 game conference schedules?

So what is the big deal about what this board is doing...or attempting to do? It has already been done.

They said that the will make a 9 game schedule which would only let schools get 2 non-conferance games on their own.

Fiyah said:
They said that the will make a 9 game schedule which would only let schools get 2 non-conferance games on their own.
9 games huh?....I see.

Way to go Bama State!!!

SAME OLD G said:
If I am missing something please let me know... but didn't the SWAC office make it clear that starting next year they will create the 7 game conference schedules?

So what is the big deal about what this board is doing...or attempting to do? It has already been done.
Everybody has to play everybody, but only 7 will count.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Da_Sperm,

The Alabama State BOT did not say that they would only play GSU and SU as apart of their suggestion to be required to participate in the 7 game mandate every year.

I was responding to:

Deuce said:

Again, if there were 7 conference games and only 7 mandatory games, then you still would have those teams that will continue to schedule each other because of the rivalry.

I have no problem with a school being given the opportunity to get 4 non-conference games. My problem is when they agree to play and then b!tC8 out because they got a better deal, or schedule conflict, or it rained too much.

If a SWAC team WANTS to play all nine other SWAC schools, then that's fine, but they should not be REQUIRED to do so. Playing all nine schools defeats one of the purposes of splitting the conference into divisions in the first place - to save money on travel. The other purpose was to allow teams to play more "fan friendly" games that would likely generate more interest and revenue.

For instance, Bama State is only about 200 miles from FAMU. That's closer than it is to any SWAC school except A&M, and its 190 miles to A&M. Bama State and FAMU have a history of playing each other that goes back at least to the 1930's. Why should we HAVE TO play certain SWAC west division schools (who shall remain nameless :rolleyes: ) when we can play a school only a few hours away, that has a great tradition, winning program, good following and creates interest among our fans?

That is the question that our Board of Trustees wants answered.

Back