Balsamic Vinegar

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Does anyone cook with balsamic vinegar? If so what? I love the flavor/aroma of a dash of premium balsamic vinegar on salads, fish, chicken. Right up there with sesame oil, soy sauce and cilantro. :tup:

Does anyone cook with balsamic vinegar? If so what? I love the flavor/aroma of a dash of premium balsamic vinegar on salads, fish, chicken. Right up there with sesame oil, soy sauce and cilantro. :tup:

It's great on salads and fish.

I love it on lambchops too! I marinate mines in balsamic vingerette for at least 8 hours, or over night then grill them to just medium. That's some good eating.

I also like it on salads with apples, cranberries and walnuts. They compliment the flavor of the dressing.

I forgot about marinading. A great alternative that kills multiple birds with one stone for me:

1. Massively cuts salt intake vs soy sauce, Dale's etc marinades
  2. Great flavor as proven on other foods
  3. Vinegar for tenderizing (should be perfect for chicken breasts, baked, grilled or smoked fish marinaded in it should be very good too)

Good tips. Have to go get some chicken & steaks for the grill tomorrow.

I am gonna make a REALLY extravagant meal today...lol...I am thinking...

Rosemary and thyme roasted halibut or trout
Rice dressed in balsamic vinegar with veggies
cheese and garlic biscuits
and a Strawberry-Lemon Tart...
I think...I just feel like COOKING

icon_blink.gif

,,, good lard Redd, you bring my limited cooking skillz into stark perspective. sound like the menu at Bonefish Grill fcol.

clapping.gif

fresh seafood and rice with veggies? oh my goodness.
toyou.gif

man what's your take on good gumbo? crawfish broils?
icon_blink.gif

icon_blink.gif

,,, good lard Redd, you bring my limited cooking skillz into stark perspective. sound like the menu at Bonefish Grill fcol.

clapping.gif

fresh seafood and rice with veggies? oh my goodness.
toyou.gif

man what's your take on good gumbo? crawfish broils?
icon_blink.gif

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook. Once I mastered and was able to add my flair to basic dishes, fried chicken/fish/pork/beef, rice and gravies, basic baking. I got bored so I am always looking to be learn new recipes and techniques.

I have dreams about decorating pastries. I might post a pic of the dessert later.

Good gumbo well I am from North La so in addition to loving seafood gumbo...I enjoy a basic Chicken, turkey and sausage gumbo with good sticky rice.

And I will eat just about any seafood/shellfish...ever tried adding mexican seasonings to a basic crawfish boil? That's good stuff. Different but good. And I am learning to use less sodium by necessity...I just love creating.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook. Once I mastered and was able to add my flair to basic dishes, fried chicken/fish/pork/beef, rice and gravies, basic baking. I got bored so I am always looking to be learn new recipes and techniques.

I have dreams about decorating pastries. I might post a pic of the dessert later.

Good gumbo well I am from North La so in addition to loving seafood gumbo...I enjoy a basic Chicken, turkey and sausage gumbo with good sticky rice.

And I will eat just about any seafood/shellfish...ever tried adding mexican seasonings to a basic crawfish boil? That's good stuff. Different but good. And I am learning to use less sodium by necessity...I just love creating.

Well when it comes to cooking, much like my golf game, i'm a "hack" cook! :eek: I know just enough to subsist, i remember seeing Moms cook certain things (peas, butterbeans, fried okra-mine NEVER comes out right, soup and chilli are my standards,, and of course everybody can cook some kind of breakfast.) so much that i can do the same (although it never tastes the same :rolleyes: ) and over the years I've experimented a lot with cooking (just like trying to improve my golf game).

my biggest problem other than actual tast is lack of variety, cooking a balanced meal, and i would not DARE expose someone else to my grub(it'd be worse than the few times Pops had to cook for us growing up when Mom was out of town or sick. uuuuugh,, just awful. we'd be so glad to see Mom back it wasn't funny). one time i cooked a pound cake just to see if i could do it,, IT TOOK ALL FREAKING DAY! i'm like you gotta be kidding me; i'll go to the grocery store and be done with it. it came out alright, but i couldn't eat the dang thing in a week,, i don't eat cake anyway. I did homemade pizza a few times, but again, it takes all day on a sat/sunday, but i found i could store the dough and veggies, but good lard,, just too much trouble, so i stick to quick hitting low overhead stuff like stir-fry, grilling/smoking and the customary college classic dried beans in cured meat with rice.

being from southeast Alabama and Moms being from northwest Alabama the rare gumbo we had was also chicken/sausage based with occassional shrimp after she moved here where we're only 80 or so mile from the coast. I've never had mexican seasonings in a crawfish boil, heck we didn't do crawfish boils growing up; more common closer to Mobile. We did plenty of peanut boils though!(i think we do peanuts here about any way you can imagine) I went several while living in Fort Worth of all places and that was work-related or at some Southern alumni function.(they had a huge very active chapter in Dallas at the time 87-91 and we used to basically do round-robins to each other's fund raising events, Skegee, SU, PV, Grambling)

Hmmmmm, I don't cook alot, but I enjoyed a great tasting vinaigrette last night at Shimmels and was telling my friend that I've recently tried this one by Wishbone and love it:

1807.jpg

Hmmmmm, I don't cook alot, but I enjoyed a great tasting vinaigrette last night at Schimmels and was telling my friend that I've recently tried this one by Wishbone and love it:

1807.jpg

I am at their website viewing the menu! I MUST go here I plan to have ALL of the following:

Appetizer: FRIED OYSTERS & CHIPS
Fresh Gulf Oysters Flash Fried & Served w/ Homemade Sea Salt / Vinegar Chips

Salad Course: CAESAR SALAD*
Crisp Romaine Lettuce Tossed in Our Own Dressing w/ Seasoned Croutons

Entree:pARMESAN & CRAB CRUSTED GULF SNAPPER w/ LEMON BUTTER
Broiled Snapper Crusted w/ Parmesan Cheese & Crab; then Drizzled w/ Lemon Butter Sauce

Dessert: Key Lime Pie w/ Praline Crust

My stomach got happy reading the menu!!!

Yeah I went there too. Looks and sounds like a very nice downtown dining venue. I got some of that vinegarette spritzer stuff! It have my head sweating when I eat it, but it's very good on salads! (gotta try it on meat)

I am at their website viewing the menu! I MUST go here I plan to have ALL of the following:

Appetizer: FRIED OYSTERS & CHIPS
Fresh Gulf Oysters Flash Fried & Served w/ Homemade Sea Salt / Vinegar Chips

Salad Course: CAESAR SALAD*
Crisp Romaine Lettuce Tossed in Our Own Dressing w/ Seasoned Croutons

Entree:pARMESAN & CRAB CRUSTED GULF SNAPPER w/ LEMON BUTTER
Broiled Snapper Crusted w/ Parmesan Cheese & Crab; then Drizzled w/ Lemon Butter Sauce

Dessert: Key Lime Pie w/ Praline Crust

My stomach got happy reading the menu!!!

Nice combination, I almost ordered the snapper last night & the lump crab cake appetizer. :tup:

Last night I had:

PETE?S FAMOUS CHOPPED SALAD (The BLT WEDGE is good too)
Four Kinds of Lettuce, Diced Red & Yellow Peppers, Red Onion, Blue Cheese Crumbles, Applewood Smoked Bacon Bits & Pete?s Tangy Secret Vinaigrette (This vinaigrette is WONDERFUL!)

Sauteed Spinach (I'ma stick w/the creamed spinach - too much REAL garlic for me so I sent it back & got more onion straws)

CENTER CUT BEEF TENDERLOIN 6 OZ. (MELTED ON MY TONGUE & the butter was great)Served w/ Choice of ?Butter? & Onion Strings

Bart: Why did the spritzer have your head sweating?

Bart: Why did the spritzer have your head sweating?

I dunno! an allergic reaction? :confused: There's certain foods I can't eat without sweating instantly on my forehead/half of my face or my under arms stinging: :confused:

lemons/grapefruit (except the pink sweet ones with tons of sugar)
(long island ice teas, margaritas (martini depending on type) or any tart mixed drink KILL my arse. I sip and instant sweat, sometimes dripping off my nose. i go through napkins wiping my head even if it's freezing with the AC blasting.)

pomagrants (err, "plum-grannies" as we call em as kids in Bama)

mustard (every time i get a hotdog or burger I ask specifically for no mustard)
certain tomato-based foods (pasta, lasagna, spagetti where the tomato base is dominant)

plums if they are not ripe, any bitter/tart fruit. (scuffernangs("skutlinz")/bullets(esp the purple ones that make your mouth itch) )

freaking anything with horse radish in it (hr kills me)

those candies in the round aluminum can that look like certs but are very tart (only one half of my face sweats when I eat them.), even sweet tarts and sprees. certain tangy gum, even Tang if it's concentrated.

balsamic vinegar

hot sauce

must be the vinegar or whatever the chemical element of vinegar is.

Earlier last year, I started using BV in my Spaghetti Sauce- GREAT TASTE! Now I don't make Spaghetti without it.

I also like it on salads with apples, cranberries and walnuts. They compliment the flavor of the dressing.

I had a Balsamic salad with the apples, cranberries, walnuts, grilled chicken and that dressing last week, and it was GOOD! :tup:

Hmmmmm, I don't cook alot, but I enjoyed a great tasting vinaigrette last night at Shimmels and was telling my friend that I've recently tried this one by Wishbone and love it:

1807.jpg

i don't cook either, but i do have some of that! it's so good.

Earlier last year, I started using BV in my Spaghetti Sauce- GREAT TASTE! Now I don't make Spaghetti without it.

Although I don't think i could cook it if my life depended on it, have never tried, don't even eat it other than at work functions (and even then it's just a token bite,,) and maybe a few parties here and there, sounds like it would be good in lasagna (lazonya? however you spell it) also.

The kid is sort of a culinary genius but my SO doesn't like my Balsmic Vinegar dishes. So she throws it away when I buy it. I have to hide it from her....:angry::angry::angry::angry:
She pretty much hates all vinegars.

I love it.

I don't cook w/balsamic vinegar, but I do love the balsamic vinegrette salad dressings. :licky:

I don't cook w/balsamic vinegar, but I do love the balsamic vinegrette salad dressings. :licky:

I picked a couple of bottles (like Fort shows) up on a whim and now like them better than my old standard Italian dressing. I can go a week at work eating nothing but salad (loaded with dried fruit, almonds, tomatoes, onions and parmesan or blue cheese :licky:). Just skeet some of that vinegrette on and the flavor is great, even if I add some meat like smoked samon or tuna or boiled eggs. man i'm gonna have to go stock up because it's back to work tomorrow. :rolleyes: :sick:

I picked a couple of bottles (like Fort shows) up on a whim and now like them better than my old standard Italian dressing. I can go a week at work eating nothing but salad (loaded with dried fruit, almonds, tomatoes, onions and parmesan or blue cheese :licky:). Just skeet some of that vinegrette on and the flavor is great, even if I add some meat like smoked samon or tuna or boiled eggs. man i'm gonna have to go stock up because it's back to work tomorrow. :rolleyes: :sick:
I'm sure I'll be eating a lot of this for the next 21 days...I'm fasting and can't have any meats or fried foods. LORD, help me! :sick: :( :uhoh: :xeye: :dizzy:

I'm heading to Krogers now to pick up some Wishbone as I'll be joining you on the salad bus since I'm back to counting my points trying to get into a dress. :( *Sigh* :xeye:

I'm heading to Krogers now to pick up some Wishbone as I'll be joining you on the salad bus since I'm back to counting my points trying to get into a dress. :( *Sigh* :xeye:

,, you got Krogers? :confused: (we used to go to Krogers in Auburn while at Skegee, they used to have one in Montgomery but they close up shop. that was my main-stay in Sunnyvale/L.A.! :jump:) YOU MAKE ME SICK!! :mad: (i'm being facetious,, :D ) all i got access to is Piggly Wiggly :rolleyes:, Winn Confederate (excuse me, Winn-Dixie), a couple of locally owned no-frills "bargain" joints on the edge of the hoods(of course) and the SuperWalmart! juss brutal man, ya gotta be kidding me,, :smh:

i'm gonna have to move my a s $ back to da Gump so at least I'll have mu nice up-scale Publix, CostCo, better versions of locals like Winn-Dixie(errr, Market Place,,, :rolleyes:), the (once)B'ham triplettes Food World/Food Max/Bruno's (or whoever the he11 they are now) and the SWal/Sam's club so on and so forth with other specialty places that have moved into the Montgomery market. :nod:

I have little point of reference on your dress plight. From what little reference i do have, what seems to be the problem? :confused:

Back