Auburn Dir. of Football Fired for using "N" word

Deuce

According to the local sports radio network, Auburn Director of Football Operations Eldon Hawley, was fired within the last few days for calling a player a n*****.

Auburn spokeswoman Meredith Jenkins confirmed the firing but declined to elaborate on the situation, citing university personnel policy.

"There are certain types of conduct that Auburn University and the Auburn Athletic Department will not tolerate," Jenkins said. "It is Auburn University's policy to take swift, decisive action in the form of immediate discharge when an employee's actions cross that line."

Kudos to Auburn!!

I think we have to give them a big nod for taking a quick and decisive move to get rid of the guy!

Given the strong roots of the South and all, I'm surprised he didn't get just a slap on the wrist!

I applaud this action.

Originally posted by ICONTIGERMIKE

I applaud this action.

I applaud the action too, but this action was not an an act of benevolence.

This was a case of Auburn looking out for Auburn. There is NO WAY they could have allowed this guy to stay on staff after using language such as that.

Football in the south is absolutely dependent upon the black athlete, and you're not gonna attract them by calling them n*****s.

And Auburn knows this.

Just Askin'

Would he have been fired had he been a Black man? Would this even be an issue if he were black? Would his having been Black made the word less offensive to the people who found it offensive?

Yeah, now if we could stop calling each other the "N" word.

Holloween night, I took my 7 year old son to Astroworld Fright Fest here in Houston. We were waiting in line to go into one of the haunted houses and there were 3 teenage black males in line a couple of people in front of us. If these clowns didn't call each other the "N" two hundred times, they didn't use it once. "N" this "N" word that. And there were a bunch of white people waiting in line as well.

If we don't respect each other, how in the "L" are we to expect other races to respect us?

The time iwe spent waiting in the haunted house line was a mess. White people waiting in line were going get HPD (Houston Police) and Astroworld security, due to teenagers (unfortunately all that I saw was black:( ), cutting in the line. Then they would get mad and cuss the people out as they were being taken out of the line.

Some of our youth today are clueless when it comes to social skills.:bawling:

Originally posted by Vinita
Would he have been fired had he been a Black man? Would this even be an issue if he were black? Would his having been Black made the word less offensive to the people who found it offensive?

Vinita,

In this case, I think he would have been fired had he been a black man.

It is my understanding that the person fired didn't simply use the word in "conversation", but rather it was aimed at a player and used in a malicious manner. That is truly what made the difference here.

I don't think that a BLACK OR WHITE coach or administrator on any level could publicly use the "N" word in this manner and get away with it.

TruBluJAG,

I feel ya 100%.

From the Mobile Register

Auburn fires Hawley

Director of football operations accused of using racial slur

11/04/03

By BRENT SCHROTENBOER
Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Auburn director of football operations Eldon Hawley has been fired after being accused of using a racial slur last week in a verbal confrontation with walk-on freshman linebacker Chris Chappell.

Hawley, who is accused of using the word "n----," could not be reached for comment.

Auburn's media rela tions office issued a statement Monday that said, "It is Auburn University's policy to take swift, decisive action in the form of immediate discharge when an employee's action cross that line. As a result, the individual involved has been terminated effective immediately."

Auburn officials declined further comment, citing university policy not to discuss the specifics of personnel matters.

Hawley, 64, came to Auburn with head coach Tommy Tuberville in 1998. He had served in the same role under Tuber ville during Tuberville's four years as head coach at Ole Miss from 1995-98.

Hawley was responsible for directing the day-to-day operations of the program and earned a salary of $63,000.

His wife, Rebecca, declined comment, except to say, "My husband is an honorable man."

Black, White ------------- If you have a position like this --- YOU GOT TO BE A DUMB MF TO THINK THAT THIS WOULDN'T COME BACK ON YOU. :(

Re: Just Askin'

Originally posted by Vinita

...Vinita...due to the negative history(in recent years) that Auburn has displayed I believe(Black or White) he would have been fired...remember just a year or so ago this is where a "white" fraternity decided to put on "black-face" and afro wigs to mimic members of my beloved fraternity...they really have some serious issues down there at Auburn(not to say it's not everywhere)...but anything with racial overtones coming from that university needs to be addressed immediately!!!

See, this just goes to show us that we as a nation are still divided and always will be. White folks, for the most part, can't stand us and we, for the most part feel the same. But the bottom line is that, when you're in a position as such, you can't express those views by calling folks names, therefore, he got what he deserved.

Another point based on what TruBluJag stated....yeah, it's not right for us to use that word and yeah it's definitely not right for us to use it around them, but I think we're all educated enough to know that when blacks use this word, it is NOT with the same connotation as when whites use it...come on now. Let's keep it real. I agree with you though, that would have bothered me for them to keep saying it around those white people.

Who is surprised at this? This is typical Auburn and its the school for a lot of Blacks in Southern Alabama.

Originally posted by SU's Finest '93
See, this just goes to show us that we as a nation are still divided and always will be. White folks, for the most part, can't stand us and we, for the most part feel the same. But the bottom line is that, when you're in a position as such, you can't express those views by calling folks names, therefore, he got what he deserved.

Another point based on what TruBluJag stated....yeah, it's not right for us to use that word and yeah it's definitely not right for us to use it around them, but I think we're all educated enough to know that when blacks use this word, it is NOT with the same connotation as when whites use it...come on now. Let's keep it real. I agree with you though, that would have bothered me for them to keep saying it around those white people.

But Finest 93, we can't continue to expect to have it both ways. I have been around some teenagers using it with each other. I asked them, what would they do if one of their white friends used it the way they did. Oh my you talk about some young folk getting major attitude. I told them don't get mad when whitey uses it because you have basically told him with your actions that it is ok to call you "N".

I agree this guy should have been fired and anyone else, black or white, should get the boot for using this type of language. I'm glad Auburn took swift action. They had no choice.

White folks, for the most part, can't stand us and we, for the most part feel the same
I am glad I am past that 1940's thinking. Sure, there are a lot of (Fill in the Color) people that don't like people of (Fill in a differenent color or the same color) But EVERYONE doesn't think this way. There are good people and bad people, and they come in all colors. As far as I concerned, any black person that uses the n** word shouldn't complain if a white person uses it. That arguement that we use it with a different connotation is so weak it ain't worth saying. The word has a negative meaning no matter who says it. And I know a lot of times we use it, we damn sure don't mean something good.

See, this just goes to show us that we as a nation are still divided and always will be. White folks, for the most part, can't stand us and we, for the most part feel the same.

Originally posted by Lewis
I am glad I am past that 1940's thinking. Sure, there are a lot of (Fill in the Color) people that don't like people of (Fill in a differenent color or the same color) But EVERYONE doesn't think this way.

Thank you, Lewis!

Lewis and lightningbug, I wished I shared your optimism.

My feeling is, they only tolerate us. If they had a choice, I don't think 90% of whites would deal with us if they didn't have too. But this is:topic: and a whole nother thread.

There is no question that people like to be amongst their own, no matter their race. There is also no question that pockets of dumb-*** racism still exist -- sometimes, big ones.

I was a kid in the 1970s -- and let me assure you, nobody was getting fired at Auburn back then for saying the N-word.
So I think that those pockets, with time and education, have become smaller. In my day-to-day, I see lots of evidence that times are, in fact, changing.

But I'm willing to admit that maybe that's just me.

Originally posted by Lewis
I am glad I am past that 1940's thinking. Sure, there are a lot of (Fill in the Color) people that don't like people of (Fill in a differenent color or the same color) But EVERYONE doesn't think this way. There are good people and bad people, and they come in all colors. As far as I concerned, any black person that uses the n** word shouldn't complain if a white person uses it. That arguement that we use it with a different connotation is so weak it ain't worth saying. The word has a negative meaning no matter who says it. And I know a lot of times we use it, we damn sure don't mean something good.

Well, you continue to stay in that dreamland you're in dear, cuz trust me, it hasn't changed much since the 1940's. The opinions of white and blacks are still the same, for the most part. I did NOT say ALL people felt this way, I said for the most part.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Lewis and lightningbug, I wished I shared your optimism.

My feeling is, they only tolerate us. If they had a choice, I don't think 90% of whites would deal with us if they didn't have too. But this is:topic: and a whole nother thread.

AMEN!!!

People don't want to admit it and believe it, but trust me, racism is still and always will be alive and well. It's the AMERICAN way.

But hey, I'm still glad the man was fired. :tup:

Well, you continue to stay in that dreamland you're in dear, cuz trust me, it hasn't changed much since the 1940's. The opinions of white and blacks are still the same, for the most part. I did NOT say ALL people felt this way, I said for the most part.

Co-signed. U shole is right DTo, errrr, SU's Finest.

Just forget the past huh? lol Funny. That's a pretty selfish, I mean, American way of thinking. It wasn't you so it shouldn't matter to you as long as it doesn't affect or <b>effect</b> your household. Not advocating living in the past, just understanding it and adjusting life thusly. :) To each his/her own.

To be honest, they shouldn've fired the man for saying what he <b> and others on that staff (et al) think daily</b>. I don't agree w/ the firing. :tdown: (seriously) If you're gonna' clean house, clean the <b>whole</b> house. Don't just find one scapegoat for "slipping" where you could see him/her fall. :tdown:

Originally posted by Panthro
I don't agree w/ the firing. :tdown: (seriously) If you're gonna' clean house, clean the <b>whole</b> house. Don't just find one scapegoat for "slipping" where you could see him/her fall.
c'mon Panthro

During a "verbal confrontation" the caucasion director of football operations calls a player a "N" to his face and you don't think he should be fired.

Those folks at Auburn aint too crazy. They know the fallout from this would have been disastrous, if that guy wasn't fired. It's not like Auburn is an oasis of racial diversity to begin with.

First off, I don't think n****r should be used in conversation by any race because of the painful way it was meant in the past. However, I don't buy into the word having the same meaning when when someone from the white community uses it and the brother in the hood. Of course, it is an double standard, but what's offensive across racial lines are not necessarily offensive within a race. For example, a few years ago I picked up a co-workers phone line and his friend on the other end asked "where is that peckerwood?" Apparantly, they speak to each other in privacy with that word and probably other similar ones, and it's no big deal, however, I don't believe it would have had the same meaning if I had approached the co-worker in like manner. When I was growing up, my grandfather used that word, and it was in no means complimentary, but in the situation with my co-worker it seemed to be ok among friends.

EXACTLY!!!

Originally posted by LMBH
First off, I don't think n****r should be used in conversation by any race because of the painful way it was meant in the past. However, I don't buy into the word having the same meaning when when someone from the white community uses it and the brother in the hood. Of course, it is an double standard, but what's offensive across racial lines are not necessarily offensive within a race. For example, a few years ago I picked up a co-workers phone line and his friend on the other end asked "where is that peckerwood?" Apparantly, they speak to each other in privacy with that word and probably other similar ones, and it's no big deal, however, I don't believe it would have had the same meaning if I had approached the co-worker in like manner. When I was growing up, my grandfather used that word, and it was in no means complimentary, but in the situation with my co-worker it seemed to be ok among friends.

:nod:

Back