All female Jury for Zimmerman trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
12:07 p.m. ET: Osterman says Zimmerman told him he went straight through to find an address, he didn't turn to go down the "T" in the sidewalk. When he was on his way back, Zimmerman says the altercation began.

12:05 p.m. ET: Osterman says it makes more sense for you to be able to keep on eye on a suspect while on the phone with the dispatcher.

Zimmerman told Osterman he lost sight of Martin at some point.

"That's one of the reasons he got out of the vehicle," said Osterman. He also says that as an officer gets on scene, dispatch likes to ask for someone's exact location so they can meet up.

12:02 p.m. ET: At some point, Martin walked around Zimmerman's car and the two made more eye contact, according to Osterman.

"Very aware of each other's presence," said Osterman. He said Zimmerman didn't seem angry.

12:01 p.m. ET: Osterman says Zimmerman went to Target "every single Sunday, like clockwork." He says Zimmerman saw Martin going between homes and the two made eye contact.

11:59 a.m. ET: Zimmerman's wife went into "nurse mode" once they got in Osterman's car. She wanted to put ice on his injuries. Zimmerman explained what happened that night.

11:57 a.m. ET: "Is detached different from the way he normally is?" asked O'Mara.

"Vastly," said Osterman.

Osterman says Zimmerman seemed to not be processing what was going on, describing him as having a blank stare.

11:56 a.m. ET: Osterman says Zimmerman was "stunned" and that he immediately tried to reassure his wife.

"He had a stunned look on his face. Wide-eyed, just kind of a little bit detached perhaps from maybe not realizing he had just gone through a traumatic event," said Osterman.

11:53 a.m. ET: O'Mara asks if their friendship would affect the way Osterman testifies.

"You're going to speak the truth, good or bad, for Mr. Zimmerman?" asked O'Mara.

"Correct," said Osterman.

He says Zimmerman's wife was "indescribably hysterical" and that he had to put his arm around her to keep her from blacking out.

11:51 a.m. ET: Osterman has been in law enforcement since 1992 and helped Zimmerman buy his gun.

"He asked whether he should or shouldn't to start with and I recommended that he should. Anybody who's a non-convicted felon should carry a firearm... The police aren't always there," said Osterman.

11:49 a.m. ET: Osterman says the place where Martin grabbed the gun seemed like where it was being held by the holster, which is why he didn't say Martin grabbed the holster. Prosecutor de la Rionda has finished his questions.

11:47 a.m. ET: Zimmerman told Osterman that he had been instructed, in general, to "get where you can observe and try not to make contact."

11:46 a.m. ET: "After putting his gun back in the holster, he jumped on top of Trayvon Martin and pinned him down," said de la Rionda.

"That's correct," said Osterman.

11:44 a.m. ET: Zimmerman told Osterman he believed Martin felt the gun with his leg and then grabbed for it.

"He says, 'You're going die' and he used the MF term again. I'm sorry I don't like to curse in front of ladies," said Osterman.

Zimmerman told Osterman that he grabbed the gun out of Martin's grip and shot him. Martin told him, "You got it" or something like that. Zimmerman says he then scooted out from Martin. He says he didn't believe he hit him.

11:42 a.m. ET: "One hand was trying to cover his nose and one hand was trying to cover his mouth to keep him from screaming," said Osterman.

Zimmerman told Osterman that because his jacket had ridden up, Martin may have seen he had a gun. Zimmerman was trying to remove Martin's hands so he could breathe and scream.

11:39 a.m. ET: "Once he started screaming, George said Trayvon grabbed his head and started smashing it into the concrete," said Osterman.

As Zimmerman squirmed to get his head off the concrete, his jacket came up, according to Osterman. Zimmerman says he directed his screams for help at the people who came out.

11:37 a.m. ET: Osterman says Zimmerman looked down to get his phone out of his pocket and when he looked back up, "the punch came squarely in his face." Zimmerman says he stumbled to the ground and Martin straddled him.

"His knees were up somewhere near his chest or up near his armpits and he was beginning to punch him," said Osterman.

11:34 a.m. ET: Osterman has written a book about the case and quoted Martin as saying, "Do you have a problem?" Osterman says there was an expletive, "mother [expletive]," but that his publisher wanted him to take it out of the book because it was graphic.

11:32 a.m. ET: There were two phases of contact, according to Osterman: When Zimmerman first saw Martin and pulled in the clubhouse parking lot and the second one when Maritn walked down a side street and Zimmerman followed him with his car and lost sight of him, getting out of his car to find an address.

11:30 a.m. ET: Martin circled the car, according to Zimmerman. Osterman says they looked each other and Zimmerman briefly lost sight of Martin.

12:22 p.m. ET: The judge has recessed court for lunch until 1:30 p.m. ET. The live blog will pick back up once testimony resumes.

12:21 p.m. ET: "He may have had it [the gun] still in his hand as he jumped on top of Trayvon and perhaps holstered when it saw the flashlight. I don't remember specifically," said Osterman. Prosecutor de la Rionda has him look back in his book and Osterman says Zimmerman holstered his gun and then pinned Martin down.

12:19 p.m. ET: "You haven’t made anything up to help one side or the other?" asked prosecutor de la Rionda.

"Not whatsoever," said Osterman.

He says Zimmerman told him he put out Martin's hands and pinned them down. He also says Zimmerman was afraid he missed Martin so he put his gun in his holster and get on top of him. The prosecutor has finished his questions.

12:18 p.m. ET: If the evidence suggested something different from his book, then Osterman says he would defer to the evidence. O'Mara has no further questions for Osterman.

12:16 p.m. ET: Osterman wrote the book four months later. He says this was his best memory of what Zimmerman said, he didn't take any notes, the two didn't talk further and he didn't show Zimmerman a draft.

"We were not able to contact each other after he was arrested the first time," said Osterman.

12:15 p.m. ET: Osterman says it's not unusual for someone to talk after being shot. He says Zimmerman pinned Martin's hands down after shooting him. Martin's father shakes his head as Osterman says this. Osterman says he didn't know Martin's hands were found underneath him.

12:12 p.m. ET: Martin reached for Zimmerman's gun, according to Osterman.

"That’s when he had to – he freed one of his hands and got the gun. He either broke contact or knocked Trayvon’s hand away… and then he drew it," said Osterman. He believes Zimmerman said Martin touched the gun.

12:11 p.m. ET: Osterman says Zimmerman's focus was on Martin's hands on his face, which kept him from breathing.

"It was critical... He was losing oxygen, he felt he was not able to breathe. That's why he was desperate to clear an airway," said Osterman.

Osterman says it's typical for someone to have tunnel vision in this type of situation and only focus on certain things.

12:09 p.m. ET: The position of Martin's knees may have changed as Zimmerman squirmed, according to Osterman. Zimmerman was consistent that it was Martin who straddled him and that he [Zimmerman] was screaming for help

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From the little that I have seen so far, I am being reminded of the first Rodney King trial.

Because the police department screwed up this whole thing from the jump. Remember, they accepted Zimmerman's word, initially, and didn't think there was nothing to investigate. With respect to your question, my understanding is that they didn't bag his hands or anything, and it was raining the night of the incident, so the rain washed away evidence like that. Go figure.

Regards.
This case is a prime example when attorneys allow physical scientific evidence to disappear, which work to the benefit of George Zimmerman. The defense is using the white is right emotional tactic on the all White female jury.

These were some of my initial thoughts. If Zimmerman is acquitted, I will first think about the initial police actions.

The Sanford police in my opinion should be exposed like Ventura County, California was in 1992.

1:51 p.m. ET: "After he couldn't his head on the concrete anymore, he tried to suffocate me. He continued to push his hands over my mouth, and my nose. It was particularly excruciating having broken nose, and him putting his weight on it. That's the point in time when he started telling me to 'shut up, shut up.'" said Zimmerman.

1:48 p.m. ET: Zimmerman said Martin may have punched him a dozen times, and he became scared for his life when Martin was slamming his head into the concrete.

1:46 p.m. ET: Zimmerman said he never went more than a 100 feet from his car the night of the shooting. He said when Martin surprised him he tried to call 911, but Martin punched him. His story sounds very similar to the version of events he told police.

1:43 p.m. ET: Hannity asked if Martin was running away from him, because he didn't know who he was.

"He wasn't running out of fear," said Zimmerman.

Hannity asked, "You can tell the difference?"

"He wasn't running," said Zimmerman.

Hannity makes the point that Zimmerman told the police dispatcher that he thought the teenager was running.

1:41 p.m. ET: "I felt he was suspicious, because it was raining. He was inbetween houses, cutting between houses. He was walking very leisurely for the weather," Zimmerman told Hannity.

1:38 p.m. ET: The interview with Hannity was conducted on July 18, 2012. The interview begins with Zimmerman discussing how he was going to Target the night of the shooting when he spotted Martin. He also said there had been some crime in his neighborhood recently.

1:35 p.m. ET: Prosecutor De La Rionda told the court he intends to play Zimmerman's interview with Fox's Sean Hannity for the jury.

What a lot of young folks in this generation don't understand, Blacks and Whites still live in two separate worlds when it comes to perception. I still remember living in Los Angeles and working for the City of Los Angeles when the Rodney King video was first released by the media. Black folks initial perception was finally someone caught LAPD wrongfully beating the crap out of a brother on video, whereas White folks initial perception was Rodney King was high on some drug that required the police to beat the crap out him just to get him handcuffed. The Rodney king verdict only occurred 21 years ago. I doubt that majority of White people's perception has changed that much, if any at all.

1:46 p.m. ET: Zimmerman said he never went more than a 100 feet from his car the night of the shooting. He said when Martin surprised him he tried to call 911, but Martin punched him. His story sounds very similar to the version of events he told police.

I really wish I could find the exact distance from Zimmerman's car to where Trayvon's body was found.

Looking at interactive maps it still doesn't line up with what he was saying. Zimmerman's saying he got out the car to look at the street sign and was going back to his car when Trayvon punched him but where Trayvon's body was found there is no street sign, it's a walkway that leads to the back of the houses.

http://bcclist.files.wordpress.com/...george-zimmerman-map-with-911-call-timing.jpg

Maybe that's why the Prosecution keeps focusing on Zimmerman's statements given the night of and the days following. Even a year later (during the Fox interview).

2:24 p.m. ET: Prosecutor Guy has finished his questions for Rao. Defense attorney Mark O'Mara is now asking questions about how Rao was appointed to the position as a medical examiner.

2:21 p.m. ET: Rao said Zimmerman's facial injuries could have been caused by a single blow to the face. She believes the facial injuries are not consistent with someone who was punched a dozen times as Zimmerman said in the interview with Hannity that was just played for the jury.

2:18 p.m. ET: Rao said she believes Zimmerman's injuries are not consistent with someone who had their head slammed into concrete repeatedly.

2:16 p.m. ET: The attorneys are at a sidebar with the judge.

2:13 p.m. ET: Zimmerman only needed some "bandaids" according to Rao.

2:11 p.m. ET: Rao said Zimmerman's injuries were "insignificant." The did not require any "sutures."

2:06 p.m. ET: Guy has asked Rao to explain "blunt force trauma" to the jury.

2:04 p.m. ET: Rao is explaining the field of forensic pathologist to the jury. She is also explaining her work experience and education.

2:02 p.m. ET: Prosecutor John Guy has called chief medical examiner for Duval County, Florida Dr. Valerie Rao to the stand. Rao was brought on to the case some time after incident. She did not conduct Martin's autopsy.

What a lot of young folks in this generation don't understand, Blacks and Whites still live in two separate worlds when it comes to perception. I still remember living in Los Angeles and working for the City of Los Angeles when the Rodney King video was first released by the media. Black folks initial perception was finally someone caught LAPD wrongfully beating the crap out of a brother on video, whereas White folks initial perception was Rodney King was high on some drug that required the police to beat the crap out him just to get him handcuffed. The Rodney king verdict only occurred 21 years ago. I doubt that majority of White people's perception has changed that much, if any at all.

I think you're absolutely right.

Each side views the world through a white or Black lens and it's difficult for many on both sides to shake that bias.

Where there are shades of gray each sees it from their own perspective.

Hopefully, the jury can put aside any biases and make a decision based upon what is true.

3:45 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson has recessed court for 30 minutes to allow the attorneys to research case law about the issue before the court.

3:43 p.m. ET: O'Mara wants the prosecution to prove Zimmerman was in class when the stand your ground law was taught. Mantei said no matter what Zimmerman had access to the course materials whether he was in attendance for that class or not.

3:40 p.m. ET: O'Mara is objecting to the fact that the prosecution is attempting to impeach their own evidence with Zimmerman's criminal justice course work.

The prosecution wants to call one of Zimmerman's professor to testify that he had a class on Florida's Stand Your Ground Law. In Zimmerman's interview with Hannity he said he did not know about Florida's Stand Your Ground Law.

3:36 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson told the prosecution to redact the other non-criminal justice classes from Zimmerman's transcripts.

3:35 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson said Zimmerman took a class called Criminal Litigation. Mantei said the prosecution plans to call one of Zimmerman's professors.

3:33 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson has asked to see the records. She said the courses about criminal justice may be relevant, but other classes like english are not.

3:30 p.m. ET: O'Mara calls what the defense is doing with Zimmerman's transcripts a "fishing expedition."

3:29 p.m. ET: O'Mara said the defense has taken "pains" to not get into Martin's past, and he thinks this trial should be focused on what happened that night.

3:28 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson is back on the bench, and O'Mara is objecting to the evidence prosecutors about to present from Zimmemran's course work pursuing a criminal justice degree. O'Mara said it was not relevant to the case. Proseuctor Rich Mantei said the course work shows he pursued a criminal justice degree, but did not finish it. Mantei said they are also planning to show the jury how Zimmerman applied to be a police officer, but his application was denied. Mantei said it is relevant, because it shows Zimmerman wanted catch bad guys, and it may show that Zimmerman may have the knowledge to know what to say to law enforcement when they arrived at the scene.

3:09 p.m. ET: Judge Nelson has recessed court for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews&rpc=43

Trayvon Martin trial told Zimmerman injuries "insignificant"

Medical Examiner Valerie Rao said she reviewed Zimmerman's medical records and the pictures of his injuries taken at the police station after the fight on Feb. 26, 2012 shooting in a gated community in Sanford, Florida.

"They were not life-threatening. They were very insignificant," Rao told the Seminole County Criminal Court jury.

Zimmerman, 29, has claimed that Martin punched him in the face and repeatedly slammed his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Rao said Zimmerman's injuries were consistent with one blow to the face and one impact with the concrete.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The state made progress today but they are not doing Martin any justice. He can't testify himself and the state is not speaking for him from his perspective. A creepy white dude was following me as I walked from the store, riding slow behind me. Being from Miami that sounds like the beginning of a drive by, so I ran and hid in the bushes. Lo and behold this dude came jogging down the path behind me looking for me. Yeah I hit him. I felt threatened. I don't know if this dude is trying to kill me rape, me or rob me. What I do know is that he didn't want to do anything good involving me. So I hit him, knocked him down and started whooping that tail, then he shot me.

That's what happened. Martin had the right to stand his ground after being pursued by a grown man with a gun. Zimmerman did not have the right to shoot him after profiling him, following him and setting up a confrontation that led to him getting hit in the nose and getting whopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back