Alcorn vs SU 1994

atl hornet

Does anyone have the Alcorn-SU game from 1994 on tape or anything they can upload? I keep hearing this was one of the best games in SWAC history. I was 6 years old in 94 and didnt know anything about HBCU football around that time, but as I got older and started to focus on HBCU ball, that's one of the games everyone talks about.

This guy called Alex Hines has uploaded a bunch of HBCU games on Youtube, but he doesnt have that 94 classic. https://www.youtube.com/user/w1hines/videos

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Was the 94 game the one on ESPN?
Folks said it came down to the last minuet and then McNair ran toh the 50 yard line and did the Heisman pose after he scored the game winner lol. I gotta see that

LOL...It could have happen, but I don't remember seeing that. S.U. almost paid dirt and returned the ensuing k.o. for a TD but fell short...it came down to the last second..

LOL...It could have happen, but I don't remember seeing that. S.U. almost paid dirt and returned the ensuing k.o. for a TD but fell short...it came down to the last second..
Yes SU almost ran the kick off back, Sparks got tackled at the Alcorn 20, but Alcorn was offsides and had to re kick and SU ran the next one back to the Alcorn 15.

What I recall from the 94' game, In the final minute Su scored a TD but had to settle for a FG after the Swac officials ruled that the Su WR only got one foot down in the end zone before stepping out of bounds.

This game was Steve's senior year. First HBCU game televised on the just started ESPN 2. He broke the all-time career yardage record that day. Packed house isn't even the word for this game. Mofos were tailgating on Friday. We got on campus Friday night and stayed at my partner house. His mom was a professor on the yard.

The game itself was beyond exciting and great. It was back and forth the entire game and Steve did a late drive to put Alcorn ahead and that's when he did the Heisman pose at the 50. SU damn near pulled it out wit a kickoff return.

Ahh the memories. That game that year and the Grambling game had to be the most exciting back and forth games that year. Now the comeback against Troy at home that year was another. The band played 'ole brave spirit' the entire 4th quarter while Steve bought us back from behind for a win.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Man during Steve final two years there were a bunch of players from the bigger schools coming to check him out.

It was unreal. People stayed on the hills those years waiting to celebrate.

people on the field and all over the place..running into the end zone to dap him up..you had that bad color analyst always reference swac does things differently. I even see Gabe Northern from LSU on the sideline for SU..lol

Hell of a game
Charlie Ward, Doug Williams, and Warwick Dunn was on SU's campus in 93 at SU vs Alcorn. Remember Ward saying that McNair was the best QB he had ever saw play. That was the best game atmosphere ever at Mumford. Even better than that SU crunk session game vs JSU that's on YouTube. The entire Student section was Jammed packed at 5pm for a 7pm kickoff.

Charlie Ward, Doug Williams, and Warwick Dunn was on SU's campus in 93 at SU vs Alcorn. Remember Ward saying that McNair was the best QB he had ever saw play. That was the best game atmosphere ever at Mumford. Even better than that SU crunk session game vs JSU that's on YouTube. The entire Student section was Jammed packed at 5pm for a 7pm kickoff.

My cousin said that also...he said there were folks sitting in the aisles waiting to see that game.

People don't remember Alcorn bought other teams home games and played them in Jackson his junior season. McNair only played in Houston once as a freshman as TSU sold the game back his junior year. He came to PV but barely played cause they won too easily.

What I recall in that game was a 36 yard td pass that was caught 3 yards into the endzone and, the official from Ms. saying our wr was out of bound .

If I can remember did Alcorn vs Southern game suppose to been played in Jackson in 94? Dat game SU vs Alcorn were huge!!

Man that was an amazing game

I think I may have cried when Alcorn scored, I couldn't for the life of me not get why SU D-Line couldn't tackle that dude.

Before they got the 1 yard line, if I can recall correctly, didn't that dude like scramble around for like 14 seconds and just chunked that bih down the field Hail Mary style to his brother or some shit?

It was a unbelievable week, not just day, I can recall being in kindergarten or something and even the black teachers had heard of McNair and that's all they were talking about LMAO.

Man that Saturday was crazy as shit, campus was packed and the game was a back in forth

Man when I think Alcorn was setup to drive to take the lead and McNair got sack and he fumbled and I wanna say we picked it up and returned it for a TD, Mumford got stupid crazy LMAOOOOO man motherfuggers were crying and dancing and laughing...aww man somebody has to upload that game..

Sean Wallace played a helluva game smh.

That game was crazy as shit....

Was the 94 game the one on ESPN?
Folks said it came down to the last minuet and then McNair ran to the 50 yard line and did the Heisman pose after he scored the game winner lol. I gotta see that

Yes he did. That game was story book good and it was on national TV. Basically the perfect Heisman moment but it was in the SWAC at little ole Alcorn. McNair hype was crazy and him and the game lived up to it. I remember SU band opened up SportsCenter with the ESPN theme. first time a band had ever played it.
I think the 93 game was better.
Of course y'all do SU won lol. I still want to see that game too

I have it and made a digital copy but I don't have the CPU anymore...I'll look for the tape to convert.

Drop the link in here and if you can, I'll pay for a copy as well

Last edited:

That doggone Battle of Hwy 61! Great stuff

It was a unbelievable week, not just day, I can recall being in kindergarten or something and even the black teachers had heard of McNair and that's all they were talking about LMAO.

Man that Saturday was crazy as shit, campus was packed and the game was a back in forth

Man when I think Alcorn was setup to drive to take the lead and McNair got sack and he fumbled and I wanna say we picked it up and returned it for a TD, Mumford got stupid crazy LMAOOOOO man motherfuggers were crying and dancing and laughing...aww man somebody has to upload that game..

Sean Wallace played a helluva game smh.

That game was crazy as shit....
Yep, the week before was crazy. That's all BR was talking about that week. It was different then, as SU grads owned all of the urban radio stations. It was SU or nothing.

Sean Wallace was the man. We no longer get players like him. He was the original Honey Badger. I think he broke McNairs ribs or something. Remember McNair leaving the game for a series but returning.

Last edited:
Back