Alcorn vs SU 1994

Yep I hear a ton about that Troy State game still today

I was at that game. Did not miss a home game while Steve was in college. Was in the hole at Henderson Stadium and opened Spinks Stadium in '92, it was hot AF that day. That Troy game was unreal due to the 4th quarter comeback Mac had to pull off. Me n my boys sat on the visitor's side for that game. The ending was unreal how the Braves came back and won. Troy St head coach said after that game that McNair was the best he had ever seen.

I only saw the highlights but my brother who was in school then always talks about the Troy State game.

I still say that the SU game was his best because of how good SU defense was that year. Yet Mcnair still overcame and pulled out the win

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I was at that game. Did not miss a home game while Steve was in college. Was in the hole at Henderson Stadium and opened Spinks Stadium in '92, it was hot AF that day. That Troy game was unreal due to the 4th quarter comeback Mac had to pull off. Me n my boys sat on the visitor's side for that game. The ending was unreal how the Braves came back and won. Troy St head coach said after that game that McNair was the best he had ever seen.

Yes I was there too and yes that was a game for the ages

I only saw the highlights but my brother who was in school then always talks about the Troy State game.

I still say that the SU game was his best because of how good SU defense was that year. Yet Mcnair still overcame and pulled out the win

The SU game was great for many reasons.

Yeah, this was my junior year at Alcorn. Every game was off the chain, but I will agree with you that the SU game that year was the best, followed by Troy State.

Ironically, 10 years earlier (1984) Mississippi Valley had the Jerry Rice & Willie Totten show. That game in Baton Rouge was something to see as well. I don't think I had ever seen as many cameras trying to cram in and on top of S.U.'s little press box at the time.....LOL The next day the highlights of that game were on the NFL Today (may have been the same year that MVSU & JSU broke Memorial Stadium attendance record).

What I recall from the 94' game, In the final minute Su scored a TD but had to settle for a FG after the Swac officials ruled that the Su WR only got one foot down in the end zone before stepping out of bounds
That was right before halftime

Ironically, 10 years earlier (1984) Mississippi Valley had the Jerry Rice & Willie Totten show. That game in Baton Rouge was something to see as well. I don't think I had ever seen as many cameras trying to cram in and on top of S.U.'s little press box at the time.....LOL The next day the highlights of that game were on the NFL Today (may have been the same year that MVSU & JSU broke Memorial Stadium attendance record).

That was Alcorn and MVSU, one of the SWAC's most iconic games

Man I went to a lot of McNair games. If JSU didnt have a game, I was at tha CORN. If JSU was playing somebody sorry, I was at tha Corn... LOL

That was Alcorn and MVSU, one of the SWAC's most iconic games

Two crunk MVSU vs Alcorn games were 1991 and 1994. Valley came DEEP AF out to Lorman and in 1994, Valley upset #THEE and the very next week, they moved their Alcorn game to Memorial. That couldnt happen right now tho because nobody would want to give JSU our cut! LOL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I remember 94 ... if I could have reached through the TV, I would have killed Jerry Wilson for letting the Alcorn WR behind him before McNair scored the game winner!

I remember 94 ... if I could have reached through the TV, I would have killed Jerry Wilson for letting the Alcorn WR behind him before McNair scored the game winner!
Jerry Wilson was supposed to have help over the top from Hiesh Northern. It was a heartbreaking loss, my eyes got real real watery after that game sinuses flared up on me.

I was at the 94 game. Drunk. When he broke the record, all the team flooded the field. I thought it was a fight. 93 one national sports magazine voted Alcorn no. 1 tailgating school in the country.... that was of all schools, not just HBCU. I still have the magizine.

Man that was an amazing game

I think I may have cried when Alcorn scored, I couldn't for the life of me not get why SU D-Line couldn't tackle that dude.

Before they got the 1 yard line, if I can recall correctly, didn't that dude like scramble around for like 14 seconds and just chunked that bih down the field Hail Mary style to his brother or some shit?
yes, and 4 SU linemen were lying on the field when the play ended, where Steve left them scrambling. You know big Linemen, once they hit that ground, they not in a hurry to get up.

My cousin said that also...he said there were folks sitting in the aisles waiting to see that game.

People don't remember Alcorn bought other teams home games and played them in Jackson his junior season. McNair only played in Houston once as a freshman as TSU sold the game back his junior year. He came to PV but barely played cause they won too easily.
Hmmm, no. they tried too but the teams wouldn't go for it. I know. I stay in Houston and me and alumni friend, drove over to every home game, and would drive back that night after the game.

Charlie Ward, Doug Williams, and Warwick Dunn was on SU's campus in 93 at SU vs Alcorn. Remember Ward saying that McNair was the best QB he had ever saw play. That was the best game atmosphere ever at Mumford. Even better than that SU crunk session game vs JSU that's on YouTube. The entire Student section was Jammed packed at 5pm for a 7pm kickoff.
we thought he might transfer after that season to florida state and start for them his senior season. ward had just won the heisman and mac had nothing left to prove at alcorn.

Back