Alcorn St vs Howard Game Updates:

Donald Carrie made some stupid decisions in this game!! His second fumble was the difference maker.
Alcorn had just picked off a Howard pass and made a quick pass to the 3 yard line. Carrie then fumbled the ball and the Howard defender picked it up and took it all the way back for the TD.

And can somebody tell me how can a Pass Interference call be a spot foul for one team and a 15 yard penalty for another?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Antroy said:
And can somebody tell me how can a Pass Interference call be a spot foul for one team and a 15 yard penalty for another?

Antroy,

Here you go...

PENALTY?Pass interference by Team A: 15 yards from the previous spot [S33].
- Pass interference by Team B: Team A?s ball at the spot of the foul, first down, if the foul occurs less than 15 yards beyond the previous spot. If the foul occurs 15 or more yards beyond the previous spot, Team A?s ball, first down, 15 yards from the previous spot [S33].
- When the ball is snapped between the Team B 17-yard line and the Team B two-yard line and the spot of the foul is beyond the two-yard line, the penalty from the previous spot shall place the ball at the two-yard line, first down (A.R. 7-3-8-XVII).
- No penalty enforced from outside the two-yard line may place the ball inside the two-yard line (Exception: Rule 10-2-2-g-2).
- If the previous spot was on or inside the two-yard line, first down halfway between the previous spot and the goal line (Rule 10-2-3 Exception).
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2003/2003_football_rules.pdf
(Rule 7-3)

Don't blame the refs. They gave Alcorn two of the most bogus pass interference calls I could imagine AND took a safety away from us that led to ASU first scoring drive (on THE SAME DRIVE). They never should have even had the chance to score their only touchdown.

-ep

ep, don't get too excited. When people said Alcorn would win the EAST, you can find any post on here and see that I questioned it. They will be third in the EAST at best. They have 8 new starters on defense and on offense they lost 4 starting o-linemen, leading rusher, and leading reciever from last year. So I was quite shocked when they were picked to finish first. I was even more shocked when they beat Grambling but as we see, Grambling is looking for direction right now. In about two weeks, thing will become clearer.

TP,

Strangely enough, I agree with you. I don't know about 3rd in the East but they wont win it. I'm giving that to Alabama St based on what I've seen. I'd probably put Alcorn second.

But I'm gonna go ahead and get excited anyway because I saw the team turn a corner Saturday. They had been given the reason and chance to pack it in for a 3rd qtr collapse like the first two weeks and instead they said, "Hell no!" and turned it around. That was a "learning to win" moment. Now we've got two very winnable home games (Savannah St & Charleston Southern) sandwiched around an open date. Plenty of opportunity to work out our passing game and gear up for the rest of the conference...

-ep

Alcorn just flat fugggggged up.

I don't know who gave the bigger gift in football this weekend.

Alcorn and their turnovers and mis-cue's or Mississippi St's. gift to 1-AA Maine this weekend.

I have to give that one to Mississippi St., all of that wasted talent they have up there and they can't even beat an middle to upper tier IAA team, I hate to see the score when they play LSU.

Yep, I just happened to catch it again too. Looking at it the second time I'm convinced, folks can talk about that turnover all they want. The Bison won this game on the ground. There was a key drive in the 4th quarter when Alcorn had us pinned back inside our 5 yard line and we just ground chucked it up the field into Alcorn territory, the OL was wiping folks out and we ate up about 6 minutes on the clock. We didn't score but the ensuing punt pinned the Braves back on their own 11 and the next thing you know the defense is picking Carrie off, we're kicking a field goal and the game is just about over. Most people wouldn't call that a successful drive but for our purposes, it was. Ball control and field position. Now that we have a good kicker that stuff really, really matters.

-ep

Back