Alabama State, National Black College Champs!

so PapaJag,
How long does Coe have to let his starters play until it's not considered "throwing a game"

Is one quarter enough, one series, the first half or the whole game? :smh:

I know you SU people want to get to the SCG (at all cost, apparently), but these assertions are downright ridiculous.

so is all this crying yall are doing.

Fact is, SU could have won their way to the SCG yesterday. You didn't. Now yall want to tell another coach who to put on the field and for how long. :smh:

Everybody knows that the NCAA likes to make up rules as the situation presents itself. If they are petitioned to investigate they can look at past game states as far as minutes played by players and determine that the outlook was affected by a player or caoch. That have strange rules when it comes to point shaving as far as the ncaa. Anyway, I don't think it would never come to that though.

What will the excuse be if Alabama State "lets" UAPB beat them next week and they turn around and lose to them AGAIN the following week?

No excuse from me kellis, but who has said anything about ASU "letting" PB beat us.

good thing Coe made his statements OVER a month ago when nothing was settled. It was way back before PB had lost to JSU, before ASU had clinched the East. And for the matter at hand, most importantly, he said it BEFORE the BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For the umpteenth time, all SU had to do was win. End of story!

I cant even begin to imagine the AMOUNT of crying from SU folks if Coe had waited until tomorrow to say that. Maybe then these assertions wouldn't sound as ridiculous.

I guess the HORNETS' starters are suppose to play a full game and risk injury against PB while SU sits at home, and heals up from the BC.

get real people. When you don't take care of your OWN business, you have no right to try to demand that other people take care of it for you.

Mighty Hornet, let's not get in an uproar. I never said the starters should play the entire game. I just asked what would you say if Coe rests his starters and then loses WITH his starters?

I think it was a mistake foe Coach Coe to say anything about resting players against UAPB. If UAPB wins playing Ala. St 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> stringers, I would be surprise if he didn?t get accused of throwing the game.

MH

Coe should let his starters play until it clear who going to win the game.

if PB beats ASU 2 weeks in a row, it wouldnt anything I could say, other than congratulate PB.

and for the record, I fully understand why/if Coe rests his starters on Saturday.
I'm just amazed that other folks can't understand it.

TSFan,
YOu're so right. If the SWAC had balls, it shouldn't be ASU playing PB on Saturday. It should be SU playing PB on Saturday (or better yet, SU playing PB on Saturday, Nov. 20)

Chickens coming home to roost. Reaping what you sow. It went around and now it's coming back.

Rest up whoever y'all need to rest. No sense in getting key players hurt in a game that means nothing to your team. Keep them healthy for that all important SCG.

Why do this???? CAUSE YOU CAN!!!

PAPAJAG said:
MH

Coe should let his starters play until it clear who going to win the game.

so, if it's a close game, then he should play the starters the whole game, huh?

mind you, this game has NO bearing on the standings for ASU.

and let's say, it's a close game that ASU wins at the end, with it's starters playing a full game.
All the while, SU will have, what amounts to a bye week, but yet ASU won't.
(and we know how much value SU places on bye weeks, so let's not pretend like that's no big thing now)

ASU put itself in a position where it has already clinched the title. But yet, yall want to act as if we havent.
Sorry, but it goes back to the ole saying "to the victor, goes the spoils".

Well, in this case, rest and healing injuries are the "spoils"

Its certainly ASU's right to rest their starters in this game. And on the surface, it seems like the right thing to do. But I still wouldn't do it. For one thing, ASU would go into the SCG with 2 straight losses if they throw this game. That would give UAPB confidence as well as momentum going into the SCG. Also, if ASU losses this game and then the SCG, they would end the season with 3 straight losses, turning a potentially great season into a good one. There's no guarantee that resting the starters would result in a SCG win. Why sacrifice a chance at a rare 10 win season? Its better to just try and beat UAPB twice to end the season on a good note.

JSU/99 said:
Its certainly ASU's right to rest their starters in this game. And on the surface, it seems like the right thing to do. But I still wouldn't do it. For one thing, ASU would go into the SCG with 2 straight losses if they throw this game.
throw the game????????

what reason would ASU have to throw the game???

I'm convinced that every one of ASU players would want to play and beat SU in the SCG, especially after how the first game played out.

Resting the starters and not risking (further) injury do NOT in no way, shape, form or fashion equal "throwing a game"
This is the tail end of the season, where injuries start to pile up. Right now, ASU has a whole lot injuries. What's wrong with allowing these injuries to heal and not risk further ones in order to be at full strength for a championship game?
Imagine how DUMB it would be if a key starter get injured on Dec 4 and have to sit out Dec. 11.

Its better to just try and beat UAPB twice to end the season on a good note.
ASU can't possibly beat PB twice-- we beat them once, and they go home.

Well whatever happens, having the SUcks be SUcks for the next week, is PRICELESS.

Look at em, calling President Bush to get Coe to play his starters.

mighty hornet said:
..and for the record, I fully understand why/if Coe rests his starters on Saturday. I'm just amazed that other folks can't understand it.

I understand completely. Coe doesn't owe SU or the SWAC anything in this scenario. It's the SWAC's fault that we have this "some games count and some don't" fiasco. First of all, the SU/UAPB game should have been played on whatever mutually available date there was...Alcorn should have been made to play UAPB or given an outright forfeit.

Notice how UAPB was required to "makeup" it's game against Bama State, so should the other games been played.

MikeBigg said:
Notice how UAPB was required to "makeup" it's game against Bama State, so should the other games been played.

No...I think it was Bama State who was "required" to make up this game, because UAPB tried to schedule the game on a couple of different dates, but Bama State chose Dec 4.

ASU should not only rest their starters after the 1st quarter, but they should run only a subset of their plays the entire game. In fact I'd tell my QBs to draw up plays in the sand. Why show your hand the week before you are to play the same team for a championship?

:lol: :lol: ....i knew this thread would re-surface and it prolly has a long way to go. Just think, its just Sunday and the game is Saturday! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The National Black College Champions should be Hampton. I can't see the logic of crowning a D2 school when they play a soft schedule all year. When Albany St and Tuskeege move up to D2A then they should be considered. It should have been Al ST but suspect coaching costed us. With Al St talent level we should be undefeated :devil2:.

Maybe ASU and Southern should be considered for the National Championship along with Hampton. However, if ASU does not be APB it blows ASU chances and Southerns :saw:.

So UAPB goes home if they lose to ASU, which means ASU gets a revenge game against SU? That should be enough motivation to beat UAPB.

WHO CARES? If ASU takes care of business, they will have a chance to get the BCNC with a win over Southern. If they lose, they have no shot because a win and lost over UAPB isn't gonna mean the same to the pollsters, as it should, as one would over SU.

Good luck to whoever makes it and if it happens to be SU, I'll be cheering them on.

However, looking at a 72,000 seat Legion Field and the possibilities, I know who some of the SWAC Office will be cheering for, even though that's wrong.

And for those who seem to think us SUites are crying, the minority of us are as you have seen on this thread. The rest of us know we still have a chance and it was OUR fault that we did not finish the job. We get there, great. We don't, we'll be back next year, whereas some of you better get it now. Next year could be a bit stingy to you from all angles .....

Choosing the BCFNC this year will be a very difficult task. If we had the Heritage Bowl, it would really facilitate things. However, If I was a voter this year my pick would go to Hampton. Tuskegee's victory over Bama State gives me that opinion. Had Bama State beaten Skegee, then my vote would have not been as decisive.

On a side note, I know Albany State and Skegee are good ball clubs but I still have a problem with their strength of schedule.

Back