Affidavits: Coles' Ouster Was Planned

Cole might not be squeaky clean, but I don't think he was fired for his wrong doings. He was fired because of who hired him...Donald Watkins. It seems to be all about power. A bunch of power hungry old men who only wants things done "their way" and could care less about their program went to the extreme of dragging the university's football program through the mud in this circus like witch hunt just to get rid of a coach that they didn't like.

Just let the man's contract run out and not rehire him is what they should have done. Now those kids who thought enuff of Alabama State to sign with the program are being jerked around in this mess.

Very unprofessional and petty conduct by some vindictive men!

It's the Big Boys turn now

NCAA sanctions loom after probe of rules violations, firing of coach

08/24/03

MIKE PERRIN
News staff writer

MONTGOMERY -- Alabama Crimson Tide supporters are worried that new coach Mike Shula is at a huge disadvantage because he was hired after the team had gone through spring practice.

Charles Coe wishes he had it so good.

"I got here the same day the players did," said Coe, the interim head coach of the Alabama State University Hornets.

Coe, 53, was given a six-month contract to replace the fired Lawrence "L.C." Cole, who is at the center of a storm of controversy in Montgomery.

Cole and assistants Johnnie Cole and Richard Freeman were suspended on Aug.1, 10 days after the school sent a report to the NCAA and the Southwestern Athletic Conference detailing several rules violations in the football program.

The investigation of the program lasted eight months and the NCAA has given the school's report to its investigative staff. Sanctions may be forthcoming.

In the aftermath of the probe, Athletics Director Richard Cosby quit and returned to Stillman College where he had been AD. Cole and his lawyers claim that Cosby was brought in on a "witch hunt" to get rid of Cole, who had been hired by former ASU trustee Donald Watkins, over the objections of current trustee Joe L. Reed.

Once Cole was suspended, more than a dozen ASU players who had been recruited by the Coles sued the school. The players claimed the school breached a contract because they came to ASU with the understanding that L.C. Cole was going to be the coach. The suit was dismissed last week.

Opener nears:

Meanwhile, Coe works day and night to prepare the team for its Aug.30 opener in the inaugural Detroit Classic vs. Florida A+M.

"Right now," Coe said, "I'm sleeping in my office. Both of the assistants I brought in, Jack Bush and Tony Pierce, we're all sleeping in our offices. We've got air mattresses on the floor. We watch film till 12:30 or 1 in the morning, then when we get tired we go to bed."

The players are supposed to be concentrating on football. "I think their minds have been on other things sometimes," Coe said. "As the head coach, I have to stay on my assistants to keep the players focused."

Cole's staff, except for Johnnie Cole and Freeman, remains intact for ASU. Coe said he gave the coaches the opportunity to leave if they thought they would have a problem with loyalty.

Coe said he gave the same option to the players.

"I told them if they needed somebody to talk to before or after practice that my door was always open," he said. "Whatever it takes, we are here for these players.

"A couple of guys have come in and said, `Coach, we're involved in this deal (the lawsuit), but we want you to know we're here to play football and we're behind you. We want to win the SWAC championship.'"

Coe said the players have followed through with that promise on the practice field.

"They've been giving us good effort."

Winning the SWAC title is another matter. The Hornets were picked last in the East Division of the SWAC in the preseason vote of the conference coaches following last season's 2-5 finish in the league, 6-6 overall.

Coe hasn't thrown out everything Cole started. "Basically, we are going to do the same things they have done in the past," said Coe, who was fired from his position as an assistant at the University of Memphis after last season. "I've tweaked and added a few things, but we're keeping the terminology. It's a lot easier for me to learn their system in this short period of time than it would be for them to learn mine.

"A lot of the things they've done I've done, we just called it something else."

ASU will count on two highly touted transfers returning to their hometown, quarterback Tarvaris Jackson from Arkansas and running back Keldrick Williams from the University of Tennessee.

Coe said Jackson and Nick Forston are running 1-2 for the quarterback spot.

"We also feel real good about our running backs situation," Coe said. "We feel really good about Keldrick."

The top four receivers from last year are gone, but tight end Chris Coleman, who made 42 catches, returns.

"The only spots where we need depth are on the offensive and defensive lines," Coe said. "We also don't have a punter right now."

The defensive secondary, should be a strength, he said. Antoine Hill set the school record with 10 interceptions last season, while Erlin Sanders picked off four passes in the last three games.

Senior linebacker Marcus Winn is the team's top returning tackler.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Coleman tries to stay cool

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Chris Coleman called it a chance to regain his composure, settle himself down and be a productive part of Alabama State's football practice.

The senior tight end sat out the first half of Tuesday night's practice after he said he lost his temper earlier in the day. Coleman returned in full pads for the final part of the two-hour practice at Hornet Stadium.

"I had a lot of things on my mind and just had to get myself right," Coleman said. "Everything came down on me at once, and I was looking for an outlet, so I let it out."

Coleman wouldn't say why he got mad, but did say he punched something. He wouldn't identify what it was.

"I'll say it was an inanimate object," Coleman said.

Coleman, one of Alabama State's top offensive returnees, is expected to start when the Hornets open their season in Detroit against Florida AM on Saturday (noon, UPN-67).

"He got mad, punched something and hurt his hand," said Alabama State coach Charlie Coe, who talked with Coleman away from the team after Coleman joined practice.

"I told him that we can't afford him getting himself hurt."

Coleman was a first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference pick in 2001 after catching 42 passes for 620 yards and nine touchdowns. Last year, Coleman caught only 17 passes for 185 yards.

"I'm a senior. I have to set an example," said Coleman, who said he asked Coe and tight ends coach Jack Bush if he could watch practice for a while.

Coleman stretched with his teammates at the beginning of practice and wore his jersey, but had no pads.

"I just needed to chill," Coleman said. I wasn't focused and I would have been more of a distraction.

"The coaches allowed me the privilege of sitting out. Otherwise, who knows what would have happened."

Re: Coleman tries to stay cool

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

Chris Coleman called it a chance to regain his composure, settle himself down and be a productive part of Alabama State's football practice..............

You know I thought about posting this article, but it has nothing to do with anything.
This was a waste of time. ...and certainly not related to the thread title.

:rolleyes:

ASU place-kicker still undecided

ASU place-kicker still undecided

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

An assistant coach calls Alabama State's place-kicking decision something the Hornets may not decide until Saturday. The head coach sounded more wary.

"We're still trying to set up this kicking game," Charlie Coe said. "We're not real confident with that right now."

Alabama State will continue one tradition in Saturday's season opener in Detroit against Florida AM (noon, UPN-67). The Hornets will unveil a new field goal kicker for the fourth straight year.

Who will it be?

Freshmen Josh King and Anthony Johnson are listed on Alabama State's depth chart, though neither has distinguished himself.

"Right now, I'd say A.J. is leading, but we're going to compete all the way up to game day," said assistant coach Chris Kapilovic, who is in charge of the place kickers.

"It's a close race."

Last year, the Hornets struggled with field goals, lost four games by six points or less and finished 6-6. Three of the close losses were in Southwestern Athletic Conference games and the fourth was against Tuskegee.

"Against Tuskegee, we were inside the 25-yard line four times and scored no points," Kapilovic said. "Our kickers didn't have the range. ... This year, we feel we can do that."

At punter, the Hornets have junior walk-on Jason Bothwell down to replace departed David Beckford, a four-time All-SWAC performer. Beckford averaged almost 44 yards per kick and downed 13 punts inside the 20-yard line.

"I'm kind of excited for my first college game," Bothwell said. "I've got to remember that I may be filling the shoes of David Beckford, but I can't replace him. I've got to stay within myself."

Bothwell is a Birmingham native and said he first attended an Alabama State game when he was 6 years old. He attended ASU for the last two years before deciding to walk-on after Beckford graduated.

"I feel like I've improved a whole lot from the summer and spring," Bothwell said. "I feel real confident going into Saturday."

Back