Addicted to working out?

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
While being motivated and sticking to an exercise program is excellent in terms of health and aesthetic benefits, there is a fine line between being persistent and being addicted. Training addiction is a very real thing for many men, and if it isn’t addressed quickly enough, it can lead to overtraining syndrome, eating disorders, bigorexia, and a generally unbalanced lifestyle.
causes of training addiction
There are two main causes of training addiction. The first is similar to the factors that lead to eating disorders and can be rooted in childhood or earlier life experiences. If the individual was overweight as a child, he may have developed a very negative body image. Regardless of how he looks today, he still sees the same “fat kidâ€￾ whenever he looks in the mirror. This is what pushes him to exercise to the extreme.

He may use his weight control and exercise habits as a way to make himself feel more in control of his entire life. You can often see this in men who do not feel successful in their careers or personal lives. These factors can cause a really serious addiction to working out, as exercise is no longer used simply for health purposes.

The second cause of training addiction is vanity. It's no secret that working out improves your physique, so some men believe that the harder they work out, the better they will look. They feel that by looking better than the average guy, they will become superior. In this instance, it usually starts out as training abuse before developing into a full-fledged addiction.

Read more: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_150/162_fitness_tip.html#ixzz1p7Nd994p

I think I am there. Mine is not fear of obesity from childhood. My fear is obesity because everyone else in my immediate family is obese. Getting fat scares the hell out of me.

428067_618491956018_101702179_31483057_395795599_n.jpg

You keep going, Pop.

I don't think that is necessarily addiction.

I don't go to the gym regularly, but, when I did, I noticed that the most fit people were the ones that were always there. Men and women. When I went regularly, I felt better mentally and physically. Ate better. I think this should be normal for everybody, but especially those who are concerned about their health.

I don't think it's addiction. It's normal and healthy to me. Lazing around and eating unhealthy is what is abnormal.

Hopefully, I'll be back in the gym consistently in a few days.

:tup:

While being motivated and sticking to an exercise program is excellent in terms of health and aesthetic benefits, there is a fine line between being persistent and being addicted. Training addiction is a very real thing for many men, and if it isn’t addressed quickly enough, it can lead to overtraining syndrome, eating disorders, bigorexia, and a generally unbalanced lifestyle.
causes of training addiction
There are two main causes of training addiction. The first is similar to the factors that lead to eating disorders and can be rooted in childhood or earlier life experiences. If the individual was overweight as a child, he may have developed a very negative body image. Regardless of how he looks today, he still sees the same “fat kid” whenever he looks in the mirror. This is what pushes him to exercise to the extreme.

He may use his weight control and exercise habits as a way to make himself feel more in control of his entire life. You can often see this in men who do not feel successful in their careers or personal lives. These factors can cause a really serious addiction to working out, as exercise is no longer used simply for health purposes.

The second cause of training addiction is vanity. It's no secret that working out improves your physique, so some men believe that the harder they work out, the better they will look. They feel that by looking better than the average guy, they will become superior. In this instance, it usually starts out as training abuse before developing into a full-fledged addiction.

Read more: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_150/162_fitness_tip.html#ixzz1p7Nd994p

I think I am there. Mine is not fear of obesity from childhood. My fear is obesity because everyone else in my immediate family is obese. Getting fat scares the hell out of me.

It's called Reverse Anorexia - basically a desire to gain more muscles or the perfect muscular body. It is real, I can recall when I was lifting weights hard in 2007 I didnt think I was growing the way I wanted to so I pumped harder and more, then I started traveling for my job and all that went to hell. Now I'm trying to get back in that shape, but when I look at pictures of my self back then, my arms were and legs were bigger than I gave myself credit for.

Yeah, but where do we draw the line between a healthy habit and addiction?

Does going to the gym on a regular basis and trying to reach progressive goals necessarily mean a person is addicted?

Been working out regularly for the past 5 years. Until I changed my diet back in april 2010 all I did was gain musle mass and gut.. Now I try to eat 6 meals a day and I hit the gym 5 days a week. Mostly light weight with a lot of reps and cardio. About to jump back in the pool soon.

I want say I'm addicted. Just don't want to look like my photos between 06-2010...I was in the gym then but it was 20 minutes of cardio, heavy weights and a lot of calories in my 3 squares...

Does going to the gym on a regular basis and trying to reach progressive goals necessarily mean a person is addicted?

Well, I think my "addiction" is healthy. I need energy and wanna look/feel better. Used to be a time, I couldn't be consistent with working out to save my life. Now I've been into it strong since Fall 2010 and love going.

I go everyday but you just have to find your balance. M-W-F-Sun I do cardio, T-TH-Sat I do weights.

I do Insanity 5 days a week and lift three. I been putting together my own workout plans lately. I am working on a new 9 week program.

Pops I came home last year at 236. I am now 201 and love it!!! I eat now until I'm full...before every meal I drink two glasses of water on top of the gallon I drink a day....I don't drink sodas, eat chips, or doughnuts. I eat a good burger and fries every now and then...but I have found it's not really what you eat but how much.

Pops I came home last year at 236. I am now 201 and love it!!! I eat now until I'm full...before every meal I drink two glasses of water on top of the gallon I drink a day....I don't drink sodas, eat chips, or doughnuts. I eat a good burger and fries every now and then...but I have found it's not really what you eat but how much.

Portion control makes a difference!

The answer to your question varies per person. If your goals are to look like He-Man and everyone tells you, that you look like He-Man and you don't believe them, then you are addicted.

But if you just like working out regularly and trying to maintain a weight or to get to a certain plateau and you recognize when you reach that plateau, then I would think you have a healthy outlook. Just my opinion of course.

I' m heading out for my daily walk, normally 3 miles. I don,t lose weight but am not gaining either. I try to watch what I eat and learned to eat smaller portions. I eat fruit and raw veg for stacks. Thinking about adding light weights to my regiment.

The answer to your question varies per person. If your goals are to look like He-Man and everyone tells you, that you look like He-Man and you don't believe them, then you are addicted.

But if you just like working out regularly and trying to maintain a weight or to get to a certain plateau and you recognize when you reach that plateau, then I would think you have a healthy outlook. Just my opinion of course.

Ive been inconsistent... and Cant same to find the right regime for me.... With most things...I tend to get bored easily.....

Toning and maintaining a more healthy lifestyle is my focus now... My eating habits are pretty decent.. its now me finding the right work regime...

Back