2017 Mississippi Valley State Football Schedule (Tentative)

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
If we can't compete in the SWAC with the way this schedule sets up the first 4 games, Comegy might as well have his bags packed after the Jackson State game

TSL9ehS.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I do not blame him at all either. However I wish they would schedule a countable game. Why not Point or Edward Waters? The future football schedules (non-conference) will probably look like the Men's Basketball schedules. Also I am confused, 5 SWAC home games?

The man is trying to make some money for his program AND win homecoming.....give the dude a break (and no...I am not a Comegy fan).

The man is trying to make some money for his program AND win homecoming.....give the dude a break (and no...I am not a Comegy fan).

It's time for Valley to win games. There is a such thing called momentum. Southern Illinois was pretty good choice, but North Dakota State and Charleston Southern were not. Both finished at the top of their conferences last year and are too strong for a struggling FCS program. I am pretty sure that Austin Peay or VMI won't be callling Grambling or NCCU for a game. Why play Charleston Southern when you can play Presbyterian? Why play North Dakota State when you can play Missouri state or Indiana State?

Some HBCU's really need to schedule better and smarter. If you want to make a decent check playing a FCS program, then call a few struggling or middle standing programs with bigger budgets than you. Decent recruits, JUCO and FBS transfers want to play for programs who can give them a winning story when they leave their collegiate experience behind.

It's time for Valley to win games. There is a such thing called momentum. Southern Illinois was pretty good choice, but North Dakota State and Charleston Southern were not. Both finished at the top of their conferences last year and are too strong for a struggling FCS program. I am pretty sure that Austin Peay or VMI won't be callling Grambling or NCCU for a game. Why play Charleston Southern when you can play Presbyterian? Why play North Dakota State when you can play Missouri state or Indiana State?

Some HBCU's really need to schedule better and smarter. If you want to make a decent check playing a FCS program, then call a few struggling or middle standing programs with bigger budgets than you. Decent recruits, JUCO and FBS transfers want to play for programs who can give them a winning story when they leave their collegiate experience behind.
I am not in disagreement but it is easy for us, not in his shoes, to say what should or what should not be done. He has to know what his program needs better than us...if not, it is his ass.

You both make good points. However the problem with scheduling VMI and or Presbyterian is that they will not pay anywhere near what NDSU, CSU and even SIU will pay. And Valley HAS to have as much money as possible. My frustration is scheduling a game against VUL that will not count. Why not a D-3 or NAIA?
And by the way, I hope I am wrong cause I'm a Valley fan but SIU will hang 50 on Valley.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yes Valley needs the money. I read on another site that Valley is only giving out 39 football scholarships and 72 total scholarships for the whole athletic program.

SWAC-MEAC man makes great points, but Valley needs bread. I agree that they should only play beatable FCS schools, but I understand thatt a program like Missouri State ain't paying what what NDSU can pay. I think Valley would be better off scheduling two Group of 5 FBS programs who are desperate for wins, and two road trips against beatable FCS programs.

I really want to see Valley win games. I want the SWAC to start winning outside of the conference on a regular basis. We could have a much better non conference record if we schedule to be a winners instead of prostitutes.

Tierre, do you remember where you read that? If that is accurate then things are even worse than I have heard at The Valley.

Tierre, do you remember where you read that? If that is accurate then things are even worse than I have heard at The Valley.

It was on anygivensaturday. Valley was short changing their football program but funding all other sports until their enrollment dropped to around 2,500. That's when Valley started to short change all their sports.

And folks think we be talkin ish when we say Valley should go D2. All jokes aside, they really should. They been struggling forever.

Thanks Tierre. JaySBlue the problem with that scenario is that all those D-1 money games in Mens Basketball would now go away. It is my understanding that brings in over 500K a year. The football money games would also go away or be greatly reduced. From what I understand the NDSU game is paying 345K before expenses. And you would need to fund around 36 football scholarships for D-2 which is not much less than they fund now. So you spends almost as much money and greatly reduce the income. They are in a tough spot right now. That University and Athletic Department need strong leadership and vision to have any chance. I would love to see things change. A lot of good people there plus alumni..

How or why does Valley even continue to stay in FCS rather than going D2? And that's not me being funny but it just seems kinda cruel to do this to your players every year.

Back