2004 SWAC Football Predictions

Tigerpride said:
JRock, I think you have it all backwards. On paper, it appears that no team in the WEST can touch Grambling and on paper it appears that no team in EAST can touch Alabama State. But we all know what paper is good for.

EAST
1. Alabama State
2. Jackson State
3. Alcorn State
4. AAMU
5. MS Valley

WEST

1. Grambling State
2. Southern University
3. Texas Southern
4. Prairie View
5. Arkansas-Pine Bluff

I still stand by these predictions....the only difference is that AAMU might have moved up to to third place tie with Alcorn.

Tigerpride said:
I still stand by these predictions....the only difference is that AAMU might have moved up to to third place tie with Alcorn.

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Jax1906 said:
Negative...Remember back in 98(19-18). This time the game will not be decieded on a last minute play... Try this: SU 45 Alcorn 24

I was at that game Jax...ol' JT gon' call for an onside kick with less than a minute left in the game..and Southern had NO timeouts left..basically gave southern a short field...

In BR, Donald Carrie took the game out of Coach JT's hands and did that on his own last season.

You're right, this season SU is gonna fan the flames of the fire Johnny Thomas campaign at the reservation....

---------
But really my prediction is the SU/Alcorn game up on Highway 61 will be a SCG preview....IF Alcorn keeps momentum and remains relatively injury free (yeah right!) they'll win the East, but Alcorn/Bama St./Bama A&M will beat up on each other, like last season.

Grambling's lack of a running game, which was partly to blame for McNeese having enough time last year to outscorse GSU 17-0 in the 4th quarter last season, will be that team's Achilles heel this season. Until someone else other than Bruce "The Big Show" Eugene proves they can tote the rock and make the defense honest, all they gonna see is a 4-man rush and 7 back in coverage..

AAMU's lack of offense (ranked 63rd in I-AA in '03) period is truly unfair to its defense (ranked 1st in I-AA). Student body right and student body left went out with OJ at USC...Bama St. seems to have a good balanced squad, question remains is how much losing Parham affects their D...

J-State: the only way to go is up for them. Same for Valley and the rest of the conference

NOISE TALKA said:
I predict that the season will start soon. lol.

Gee, I was about to predict sightings of drunk uncles and people wearingknock-off school paraphernalia..Also predicting big arse grills cooking barbecue chicken, pork, beef or wild game (depending on where you from).. :wavey:

West

1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. Texas Southern
4. Pine Bluff
5. Prairie View

East

1. Alcorn
2. Alabama St.
3. Alabama A&M
4. Jackson St.
5. MVSU

Journalist said:
AAMU's lack of offense (ranked 63rd in I-AA in '03) period is truly unfair to its defense (ranked 1st in I-AA).
Don't worry, I'm not here to dispute you, but what is your definition of "lack of offense" Journalist, and how is it AAMU fits into that definition?

Mr. SWAC said:
Don't worry, I'm not here to dispute you, but what is your definition of "lack of offense" Journalist, and how is it AAMU fits into that definition?

The main objective in football is to score more points than the other team.... we averaged 34 points a game last year.... I could care less what number rank our offense was.... they did what they needed to do in most games. we scored 63 Texas So) points, 50 points twice (PV and UAPB), 49 points against JSU, and 40 points in 2 other games. We had a BALANCED offensive attack last year running and throwing for almost the exact same number of yards... we were not ONE dimensional... and we had THE BEST RUNNING BACK IN THE SWAC on our team.

DAHILL said:
The main objective in football is to score more points than the other team.... we averaged 34 points a game last year.... I could care less what number rank our offense was.... they did what they needed to do in most games. we scored 63 Texas So) points, 50 points twice (PV and UAPB), 49 points against JSU, and 40 points in 2 other games. We had a BALANCED offensive attack last year running and throwing for almost the exact same number of yards... we were not ONE dimensional... and we had THE BEST RUNNING BACK IN THE SWAC on our team.

...and you still...oh, this is the Sports Board..... :shh:

Journalist said:
Grambling's lack of a running game, which was partly to blame for McNeese having enough time last year to outscorse GSU 17-0 in the 4th quarter last season, will be that team's Achilles heel this season. Until someone else other than Bruce "The Big Show" Eugene proves they can tote the rock and make the defense honest, all they gonna see is a 4-man rush and 7 back in coverage.
I guess you don't know too much about the people we have returning. But I understand you thought process.

Tigerpride said:
...and you still...oh, this is the Sports Board..... :shh:

and we STILL beat JSU to sleep.... Bonds ran for almost 200 on you... Your defense made Keith look like Michael Vick.... scored on a tight end draw where Jake Wilson knocked your defender a whole 5 yards backwards with one hit when he ran him over. Hell everybody scored that game lol....

Our OFFENSE and DEFENSE was better than JSU's.

DAHILL said:
and we STILL beat JSU to sleep.... Bonds ran for almost 200 on you... Your defense made Keith look like Michael Vick.... scored on a tight end draw where Jake Wilson knocked your defender a whole 5 yards backwards with one hit when he ran him over. Hell everybody scored that game lol....

Our OFFENSE and DEFENSE was better than JSU's.

DaHill, I never argued that but still.....this is the sports board.

SAME OLD G said:
I guess you don't know too much about the people we have returning. But I understand you thought process.

Same Old G,

The reason why most of us really aren't familiar with the folk in the backfield coming back is, well, because of Bruce and the attention he demands and commands on the field. (Darn that Brad Hill for flunkin' out...that would've been a helluva one-two combo last season!) I'm highly curious to see if Spears is gonna incorporate the old "Coach Rob" Wing T..maybe update it a little to create mismatches for the passing game as well as a good way to pound it and give ol' Bruce a breather during drives...Hey, maybe Spears will follow the ol' Spurrier motif of the passing game setting up the running game, and vice versa...

Now onto Bama A&M fan...(i'm about to rehash some things that drew y'all ire before, but it's true in some respects)

180 rushing ypg is great...but 180 passing ypg isn't...forget the spin y'all put about balanced..I've been following y'all since y'all joined the SWAC and um, y'all are STILL one-dimensional, but waaaaay on the other end of the spectrum from pass-happy Grambling... besides...who in the SWAC couldn't put points up on the teams y'all ran the score up on ...the reason I talked about your offense is that it's a liability in games when the opposing team's offense can put up points on your vaunted defense (read: blowout losses to GSU and Southern) or the game is ugly and the offense cannot consistently put scoring drives together (read: losses to Jacksonville St. and Alcorn St.) and BTW...y'all 8-4 record could've easily been 6-6 (read: MCC and Tenn St. game) Y'all can yap all you want about we scored 30 sumpin ppg or we had this and that...let's face it...the Bulldog defense set the table for that offense about 2/3 of the time (led the SWAC in takeaways)....the offense lived off the breaks the defense made much more than the offense made their own breaks

Heck, until it's proven otherwise, teams will continue just load up the box and dare y'all to throw. You have to admit, there's a sense no respect for y'all in passing situations or the skill players with the exception of the RBs.

Talking with TP about football is as logical as asking Isaac Hayes about Shampoo...

But I have some comments/opinions. I preface this by saying that I don't know a great deal about a lot of the teams but I will try to be as objective as possible. The two teams I know the most about (in terms of personnel and from articles read) is GSU and SU.

GSU: I expect our running game to be much improved and will be utilized. Sammie White and running back coach Vyron Brown has Spear's confidence and will recommend more emphasis on the run than in past seasons. Plus Ab Kuuan is definitely gonna surprise some folk. He gave glimpses of his talent last year but wasn't utilized enough. Our fullback Ruben Mayes is a beast and can be used in the one back set. When we go double wing (Kuaan and Tolbert on the wing), Mayes is a wrecking ball. Plus we have Terrion Rodgers and Michael O'ree who are hard-nosed backs with size. The defensive front seven has several potential NFL guys who have logged a lot of game time. Leonard Patten and Jason Hatcher are pass-rush beasts and Pettway and Petty are monster Linebackers. Good rotation at DT with size (Kador & Zachary are returns plus redshirt Jason Banks and massive Aqua "Funny Name" provides depth.

SU: Has a really good athlete in Thomas Ricks who almost beat Richard out as qb last year. James Vernon is a talent at wide receiver. Holmes give SU good quickness in the backfield and early accounts of Steel Adams indicate he will contribute. But SU's strength will be on the defensive side at linebacker. The DLine has numbers but not the runstoppers the past couple of years like in years past. But they are coached well by Lewis and with Graves back coaching linebackers (where they have really good talent), they will be tough this season. Secondary should be improved over last year (in terms of athleticism).

Here's my ranking (no east/west but overall)

1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. Alabama State
4. Alabama A&M
5. Alcorn
6. Jackson State
7. Tx Southern
8. UAPB
9. MSVU
10. PVU

Journalist said:
Now onto Bama A&M fan...(i'm about to rehash some things that drew y'all ire before, but it's true in some respects)

180 rushing ypg is great...but 180 passing ypg isn't...forget the spin y'all put about balanced..I've been following y'all since y'all joined the SWAC and um, y'all are STILL one-dimensional, but waaaaay on the other end of the spectrum from pass-happy Grambling... besides...who in the SWAC couldn't put points up on the teams y'all ran the score up on ...the reason I talked about your offense is that it's a liability in games when the opposing team's offense can put up points on your vaunted defense (read: blowout losses to GSU and Southern) or the game is ugly and the offense cannot consistently put scoring drives together (read: losses to Jacksonville St. and Alcorn St.) and BTW...y'all 8-4 record could've easily been 6-6 (read: MCC and Tenn St. game) Y'all can yap all you want about we scored 30 sumpin ppg or we had this and that...let's face it...the Bulldog defense set the table for that offense about 2/3 of the time (led the SWAC in takeaways)....the offense lived off the breaks the defense made much more than the offense made their own breaks

Heck, until it's proven otherwise, teams will continue just load up the box and dare y'all to throw. You have to admit, there's a sense no respect for y'all in passing situations or the skill players with the exception of the RBs.
Ok, I see. The glass is always half-empty with AAMU, ok, no need to explain further. This is where we say we were balanced:

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
-------------------------------------------------------------
Grambling State..... 12 1723 3859 883 5582 6.3 55 465.2
Southern............ 13 2002 3481 855 5483 6.4 63 421.8
Alcorn State........ 12 1946 2939 804 4885 6.1 43 407.1
Alabama State....... 13 2473 2610 845 5083 6.0 52 391.0
Alabama A&M......... 12 2169 2192 806 4361 5.4 42 363.4
Ark.-Pine Bluff..... 11 1383 2117 733 3500 4.8 24 318.2
Jackson State....... 12 897 2413 798 3310 4.1 24 275.8
Texas Southern...... 11 1736 1218 743 2954 4.0 22 268.5
Miss. Valley State.. 11 778 1929 712 2707 3.8 21 246.1
Prairie View A&M.... 10 682 1407 615 2089 3.4 11 208.9

---------------------------

As you can see we were balanced with our offensive attack. There is no spin here. We had 458 run plays and 348 pass plays. Compare the rest of the SWAC with us. Hell compare the SWAC with the rest of NCAA and you will see that the SWAC offense if "irregular". It's not our fault if we have a REAL running game. The two most balanced offenses in the SWAC are the BAMAs.

p.s. The TnSU game wasn't EVER close. Ironically the offense put that game out of reach with 3 TD drives over 70 yards long (defense didn't do that). If you were there you would know. The MCC you can throw the records and stats out the window. The BC should prove that. There goes your 6-6 record "theory". For real, we under-achieved last year. Alcorn came back in the game after Keith wen't down. The back up was Robinson. We don't have that problem this year. BTW, Jaxville & Alcorn game was affected by QB play. Guess who was the QB???????????? He's a WR this year.

WHEN DID BEING ABLE TO ONLY PASS THE BALL GIVE YOU AN OFFENSE, BUT BEING BALANCED NOT? How are we one-sided? :confused:

Journalist said:
Same Old G,

The reason why most of us really aren't familiar with the folk in the backfield coming back is, well, because of Bruce and the attention he demands and commands on the field. (Darn that Brad Hill for flunkin' out...that would've been a helluva one-two combo last season!) I'm highly curious to see if Spears is gonna incorporate the old "Coach Rob" Wing T..maybe update it a little to create mismatches for the passing game as well as a good way to pound it and give ol' Bruce a breather during drives...Hey, maybe Spears will follow the ol' Spurrier motif of the passing game setting up the running game, and vice versa...

you say we could easily been 6-6.... the Tn State game we led the entire game... when the second and third team came in that is when we had problems (dont know why they were left in so long)... We were winning 31-0... but you probably dont remember that. I can take a spin on what you said... We could have EASILY been 10-2.... fumbled snap on the 1 yard line late in the Jacksonville State game was a reason we lost that game..... We had the Alcorn game won UNTIL Keith got hurt and we lost that one by one touchdown. We dominated the MCC... but couldnt get in the endzone so we had to settle for about 4 field goals and STILL won. Our team wasnt mentaly prepared for SU.... Robinson played most of the game against GSU so there was no chance to win with him at qb.

Also why pass when we had the best running back in the league? Thats like Grambling running the whole game when they got Eugene at qb.

DAHILL said:
you say we could easily been 6-6.... the Tn State game we led the entire game... when the second and third team came in that is when we had problems (dont know why they were left in so long)... We were winning 31-0... but you probably dont remember that. I can take a spin on what you said... We could have EASILY been 10-2.... fumbled snap on the 1 yard line late in the Jacksonville State game was a reason we lost that game..... We had the Alcorn game won UNTIL Keith got hurt and we lost that one by one touchdown. We dominated the MCC... but couldnt get in the endzone so we had to settle for about 4 field goals and STILL won. Our team wasnt mentaly prepared for SU.... Robinson played most of the game against GSU so there was no chance to win with him at qb.

Also why pass when we had the best running back in the league? Thats like Grambling running the whole game when they got Eugene at qb.

No offense AAMU, but the best rb belonged to Bama St. Bonds was decent but not as good as Williams at ASU. That kid can flat play. He is the reason I rate ASU over AAMU and ALcorn for the SWAC east.

Williams is good... but Bonds (when he isnt injured) cannot be stopped...He played more than HALF the season on one leg and still ran for over 1,000.... He was injured during the PV game... before that he was rushing for close to 200 yards a game. Coaches even knew that and that is why he was voted SWAC offensive player of the year. Bonds knew how to get to the endzone.

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
--------------------------------------------
BONDS, Jeremiah 11 68 0 68 0 34 6.2
BONDS, Jeremiah 20 195 12 183 2 50 9.1
BONDS, Jeremiah 19 130 13 117 0 60 6.2
BONDS, Jeremiah 22 211 14 197 4 40 9.0
BONDS, Jeremiah 6 39 3 36 0 15 6.0
BONDS, Jeremiah 14 40 11 29 1 15 2.1
BONDS, Jeremiah 14 34 12 22 1 9 1.6
BONDS, Jeremiah 14 51 9 42 2 16 3.0
BONDS, Jeremiah 18 66 18 48 0 15 2.7
BONDS, Jeremiah 20 146 15 131 3 66 6.6
BONDS, Jeremiah 19 79 14 65 1 20 3.4
BONDS, Jeremiah 26 183 24 159 1 56 6.1

Indicates Bonds Injured

You have a valid point JR when it comes to final results, but like we said Bonds was chosen ahead of Williams for All-SWAC. Before Bonds had gotten hurt, he was LEADING THE NATION in rushing. But even so, he finished 2nd in the SWAC in rushing (1st if you take away Bama St. extra game at the SCG);

RUSHING Team Cl G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
-----------------------------------------------------
WILLIAMS,Keldri ALST SO 13 201 1195 5.9 9 91.9
BONDS, Jeremiah AAMU SR 12 203 1097 5.4 15 91.4

Not to mention, Bonds' scoring was consistant throughout the year. I wish he was healthy when he went up against Williams at the MCC. That would have been a treat. He proved himself and out-played Charles Anthony of TnSU in our 2nd game how much better he was. I can see where and why you make your point though.

The gooddoctor's pick'em and weep:

EAST

Alcorn - Has the best QB and set of wide receivers in the East. If they win against GSU they win the East. A lost to the G-men will kill their season.
Alabama State - Has good defense, but QB's are only adequate. Plus, again they had distractions with the football players having to pay for summer school. Also have a quality coaching staff.
AA&M - Coach Jones has his hands full. The Bulldogs are still outstanding on defense but so-so on offense. Will be tested early against Tenn. State.
JSU - All is quiet with the JSU-Mafia, and it should be. QB is a big question mark, but so is Coach Bell. The Tigers are the biggest question mark in the conference. A bad start and they will be playing running again as they did against the Bulldogs.
MVSU - Well Coach Totten didn't go on the road advertising his Delta Devils. I wonder why? Hiring his brother raises a lot of questions. Good tranfers, but not enough.

West

SU - The Jaguars have to be the favorites until beaten. The road trip to Alabama for back to back games could decide the West. Look for ricks to surprise at QB and the Jags to run the ball more this season with Holmes and Steele. Defense will be solid at LB and on the line.

GSU - Has the most talent in the SWAC and will outscore everyone with Bruce chunking to some talented WR. Influx of D-I players will help. Question is can the new coaching staff put it all together.

TSU - The togers are going to surprise someone, but who.

APB - Late hiring of coach hurt recruiting. Not playing SU will help them this year.

PVU - The Panthers will keep games close and get some moral victories. :shh:

Back