Simmons to TxSU?

atl hornet

It’s a rumor going around the band world that Brian Simmons is leaving Southern to join the staff at Texas Southern. Has anyone else heard that?

They have had a opening there for a while. I hope they decided to increase the pay because what I saw on their website last fall was not for the taking. You would make more teaching high school than what they were offering.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
They have had a opening there for a while. I hope they decided to increase the pay because what I saw on their website last fall was not for the taking. You would make more teaching high school than what they were offering.
Take it or leave it as the old saying goes.

Last edited:
Take or leave it as the old saying goes.

That may be why it has been vacant for so long. They want to low ball someone for the position. Hopefully they raised the salary for what they want the person to have (degrees) and do.

That may be why it has been vacant for so long. They want to low ball someone for the position. Hopefully they raised the salary for what they want the person to have (degrees) and do.
Lol...man just ask? The truth is it wasn't the priority hire it should have been. I agree the listed salary should have been higher though.

Is what it is. He ain't getting my support. Sorry not sorry but I'm not convinced an su grad can respect another college's organization, traditions or alumni. I'm just being real. It'll be his version of the jukebox. I'll give my time and money elsewhere on the campus.

Is what it is. He ain't getting my support. Sorry not sorry but I'm not convinced an su grad can respect another college's organization, traditions or alumni. I'm just being real. It'll be his version of the jukebox. I'll give my time and money elsewhere on the campus.

Ask PV when the SU band alum tried to change things and the resistance he got. And he tried to incorporate more MEAC stuff than anything. You hold on to traditions.

Butler was a Tennessee State grad at the end of the day. The job is to enhance the product not change it totally

Ask PV when the SU band alum tried to change things and the resistance he got. And he tried to incorporate more MEAC stuff than anything. You hold on to traditions.

Butler was a Tennessee State grad at the end of the day. The job is to enhance the product not change it totally
Um...he is also a Norfolk alum.
Yes Butler was a TnSU and UofMichigan grad. Let su fans and alumni tell it ..he was a jukebox student and copycat(never was never copied them, either). I'm not standing in his way but I'm not supporting either. I have zero faith he will prove me wrong.

wasn’t the last head BD from Alcorn? Seems like he kept the TxSU traditions. I understand the concern though. I wouldn’t want a new BD to change things at Bama State if he were to become the head man in charge.

The Ocean is one of my favorite bands I hope he doesn’t change anything he just needs to bring his energy to the program.

And are y’all sure Simmons will be the head BD? I think he’s too young for a head BD job in the SWAC.

You will never never see a none SU Grad over SU’s band lol. All hell would break loose.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yes Butler was a TnSU and UofMichigan grad. Let su fans and alumni tell it ..he was a jukebox student and copycat(never was never copied them, either). I'm not standing in his way but I'm not supporting either. I have zero faith he will prove me wr
Yes Butler was a TnSU and UofMichigan grad. Let su fans and alumni tell it ..he was a jukebox student and copycat(never was never copied them, either). I'm not standing in his way but I'm not supporting either. I have zero faith he will prove me wrong.
Dude marched in SU’s band and his wife , who is over PV’s dancers was a Dancing Doll. He went to the military, and was stationed in Norfolk , and ended up finishing school at Norfolk.

wasn’t the last head BD from Alcorn? Seems like he kept the TxSU traditions. I understand the concern though. I wouldn’t want a new BD to change things at Bama State if he were to become the head man in charge.

The Ocean is one of my favorite bands I hope he doesn’t change anything he just needs to bring his energy to the program.

And are y’all sure Simmons will be the head BD? I think he’s too young for a head BD job in the SWAC.
Nothing at a state job in TX is solid until you're there on day 1 so I don't know. Plenty don't know because everything is going to be different with the new administration and regents.

No the last directors didn't change much from the outside looking in and restored some things from the inside and definitely changed some things from the outside that should NOT have been changed. But again...I don't have faith he won't.

Butler established the Ocean. He was the beginning. A jukebox alum cannot "establish" the Ocean of Soul.

Butler established the Ocean. He was the beginning. A jukebox alum cannot "establish" the Ocean of Soul.

What was there before the Ocean? There was a band also but Butler saw a need and was given the keys to change things.

If it’s Simmons, he would be idiotic to do a overhaul but doubt the powers that be would let him if he tried.

If his presence generates more interest and creates buzz that’s half the battle before it starts. TSU was top 3 in the swac at one time and should always be there

What was there before the Ocean? There was a band also but Butler saw a need and was given the keys to change things.

If it’s Simmons, he would be idiotic to do a overhaul but doubt the powers that be would let him if he tried.

If his presence generates more interest and creates buzz that’s half the battle before it starts. TSU was top 3 in the swac at one time and should always be there
The previous band wasn't like showstyle, it was military style.
Buzz doesn't absolve doing away with something other people created because you don't respect it.

The previous band wasn't like showstyle, it was military style.
Buzz doesn't absolve doing away with something other people created because you don't respect it.

Someone let him do that - blame them at the end of the day -

Just get the band back to where it needs to be - priority 1

Let Butler? What are you talking about? He founded the Ocean. Band before that wasn't like that or a priority for the university experience. TSU was a very different college back then and Butler was a part of the aftermath of protest on preserving blackness at TSU in another way...hence "Soul". But you aren't Ocean of Soul so how would you know to tell me?

Back