Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs Southern Game Updates: 1:30pm CT

There are a couple of seasons worth of film on Skelton for SU alums to come to this conclusion.

As previously stated, Valley knows the feeling of a coach that is too stubborn to change from an athlete playing QB and it costs them whatever few fans were willing to stomach supporting them after the JSU choke job (ZERO points against Grambling and ASU. Not one point).

I've said this on podcasts regarding Skelton and I'll stick with it. Your typical Skelton stat line is something like 12-30 for 150 yards and 1-2 TDs to go along with 50-100 yards rushings and 1-2 TDs. There is a ceiling that you will have with a QB like Skelton where as a QB like Lampley went 20-33 for 238 yards and 2 TDs opens up the field (he also had 3 INTs which hurt them badly but he also got them back in the game (Side note: UAPB experienced the same thing letting Patrick walk for Perry who went 22/37 for 223 yards along with 58 yards rushing (a true DT QB)). Again going back to Valley, every team after Alcorn knew that our QB wasnt capable of consistently throwing the ball 20-25 yards down the field so they just packed the box covered the underneath routes. That is what's gonna happen to SU as well going forward if Skelton is the QB. I would be inclined to pick teams like JSU or PV over SU IF Skelton were the QB but would trust them more if Lampley were the QB
Great analysis on Skelton. He is indeed limited in the passing game to the detriment of the offense. SU has an abundance of offensive weapons as Lampley (3rd String QB) clearly demonstrated. Skelton is a "run first" QB and SU has never won with that type of QB. This is one of the many reasons that Odums has never been a fan favorite. With consistency, Lampley could lead us to the championship. But of course now we need UAPB to lose twice and we must run the table. As well, I hope Valley can correct it QB dilemma and have a successful season. I'm pulling for ya.

I remember stating that southern was gonna struggle a year ago when they hired the OC & OL coach. Chennis Berry had the guys playing good on offense especially the O. Line. You can’t replace that with a white guy with no experience rubbing your O. Line. I went to look at the bio of these 2 new offensive coaches. For one Grossi the OC has never called plays before and these 2 games he looked like he shell shocked. Lepak only experience coming from Oklahoma, well you ain’t really going to get the same players here and a lot of times big schools guys can’t relate to smaller schools. I can see them losing another game they shouldn’t lose here shortly.

Congratulations!
:clap:

Is this the a new era for UAPB football?

Thank you.

Honestly, I don’t know, because I kinda “shut down” when I finally realized that my UAPB would NOT sit out this spring. I don’t like this because, to me, it looks as if the highest priority of ensuring the overall health, safety, and well-being of our student-athletes is NOT the highest priority. I love my school, but I’m not feeling this at all.

A new era? Well, it was a new era when Cedric Thomas was HFC. He totally wiped out the old concept of UAPB football by stressing the psychological aspect of the game, as much as the physical. Coach Thomas also invested in his players, and in the program. He got behind our team and dared them to prove him wrong. A lot of those players are still on the team. Coach Gamble was part of Thomas’s staff, so he also knew the program he (Thomas) ran. He was fortunate to have inherited his players.

Thank you.

Honestly, I don’t know, because I kinda “shut down” when I finally realized that my UAPB would NOT sit out this spring. I don’t like this because, to me, it looks as if the highest priority of ensuring the overall health, safety, and well-being of our student-athletes is NOT the highest priority. I love my school, but I’m not feeling this at all.

A new era? Well, it was a new era when Cedric Thomas was HFC. He totally wiped out the old concept of UAPB football by stressing the psychological aspect of the game, as much as the physical. Coach Thomas also invested in his players, and in the program. He got behind our team and dared them to prove him wrong. A lot of those players are still on the team. Coach Gamble was part of Thomas’s staff, so he also knew the program he (Thomas) ran. He was fortunate to have inherited his to have inherited his players.

I am concerned about the health of the athletes as well, the cost of testing and cost of the follow up with validating that the heart condition does not exist in the athletes that have been infected. I hope the schools are not taking economic short cuts to play the sports.

Best of luck (until you play ASU or AAMU) 😁

I am concerned about the health of the athletes as well, the cost of testing and cost of the follow up with validating that the heart condition does not exist in the athletes that have been infected. I hope the schools are not taking economic short cuts to play the sports.

Best of luck (until you play ASU or AAMU) 😁

Thank you, OH! It seems like it’s been a lifetime since my Golden Lions went up against the Hornets! I was so glad to see them back on our schedule because Alabama State is the ONLY SWAC campus I’ve not had the honor to visit. Hopefully this pandemic will end and things will get as close to “normal” as possible so I can make a Montgomery trip!

And as always, best wishes to the Hornets, until my folks come up.🦁🖤💛🏈

SU put your ears or eyes to your computer so you can hear me typing better. Don't fall for this stuff the JSU folks feeding you, you fire Big Worm and you risk the Comegy curse they went through, don't let them send you down the rabbit hole, it's a trick

Thank you, OH! It seems like it’s been a lifetime since my Golden Lions went up against the Hornets! I was so glad to see them back on our schedule because Alabama State is the ONLY SWAC campus I’ve not had the honor to visit. Hopefully this pandemic will end and things will get as close to “normal” as possible so I can make a Montgomery trip!

Congrats , rushing to the baseball game, I forgot to congratulate you.

SU put your ears or eyes to your computer so you can hear me typing better. Don't fall for this stuff the JSU folks feeding you, you fire Big Worm and you risk the Comegy curse they went through, don't let them send you down the rabbit hole, it's a trick
Worm ain’t going no where. You think SU folks would listen to JSU about football lmao.

Thing is Skelton knows he's there best option at quarterback. That's why he do what he do. We don't have any other option but Skelton. Hell McDaniel and Lampley can't separate themselves because they get in the game and have a turnover party like no other. Yes!! If Skelton doesn't lose his mind in Saturday's game yes we win the ball game. Look at the positives, we had 4 turnovers to pb 0 and still had a chance to win the ball game with our 3rd string quarterback. It's frustrating because we jaguar fan know we're to talented to be going thru this dumb shit every year!!
Not true

Let me know if you visit the city in fall. If the virus continues to dissipate, I will personally give you a tour of the campus and the historic city of Montgomery. The NPS just recently opened the third interpretive voting rights site adjacent to the stadium.

I hope to back in Montgomery this fall. What JC said! 😁

I think I will get season tickets for the fall, but all is based on where we are with the Coronavirus.

They don’t know any better. I knew Uapb would be dangerous. They had a great offense in 19.
Their lefty-QB reminded me of the great Felix Harper. All work, no chill. He commanded their offense w/ a serious purpose.

Left-handed QBs have a throw that is remarkable - like a whip, imho. Really gifted.

Reactions: J C
Thank you.

A new era? Well, it was a new era when Cedric Thomas was HFC. He totally wiped out the old concept of UAPB football by stressing the psychological aspect of the game, as much as the physical. Coach Thomas also invested in his players, and in the program. He got behind our team and dared them to prove him wrong. A lot of those players are still on the team. Coach Gamble was part of Thomas’s staff, so he also knew the program he (Thomas) ran. He was fortunate to have inherited his players.
Congrats as well.....For years UAPB would lose this game and be "behind the 8 ball" for the remainder of the season. Well now - look at who's "behind the 8 ball" now (Southern & Grambling). Take advantage of the opportunity......you earned it and it's well deserved!

Back