ESPN announces massive layoffs, job cuts as COVID-19 impacts revenues

EB

ESPN announces massive layoffs, job cuts as COVID-19 impacts revenues
The president of ESPN revealed in a memo job cuts and layoffs as prior cost-cutting methods appear to have not been effective in curbing the impact of the pandemic.

-----

www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-11-05/espn-layoffs-walt-disney-covid

Cord-cutting and a shift by younger consumers away from TV subscriptions continue to erode that revenue source. Households with pay TV, most of which carry ESPN, have been on a steady decline from their peak in 2010.

Pitaro has previously said that the company is moving toward serving the streaming audience and that ESPN will be prepared to serve viewers as they shift to new viewing platforms.

The cuts are the latest within Walt Disney Co, which has been buffeted by the health crisis.

The Burbank-based company in September said it would lay off 28,000 domestic employees at its parks, experiences and products division, which includes Disneyland Resort and Disney California Adventure Park in Anaheim and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

And all those folks will land on their feet elsewhere.

And I still find it funny Dallas still does not have ESPN radio here. One of the largest markets around.

ESPN seems like a hot mess right now. And a couple of weeks ago they were talking about plans to leave cable providers and creating a solo app in the near future. They need to layoff that Malika character.

ESPN seems like a hot mess right now. And a couple of weeks ago they were talking about plans to leave cable providers and creating a solo app in the near future. They need to layoff that Malika character.

Not according to the majority on here. Go and look at my post caping for her black male misandry

when you overpay for rights for all colleges, NFL, NBA and MLB you gotta cut the fat somewhere

plus the radio side is boring anyway

That's the real reason for this.I only watch ESPN for college football and basketball. They are unbearble everywhere else

And it will be "Wash. Rinse. Repeat" in 2-3 years

Last edited:
They have to pay Pat McAfee's contract somehow. And he has been lobbying for Shannon Sharpe to go to ESPN as well. The radio lineup has been a revolving door. I cut back on listening after the end of Mike & Mike and the departures of both LeBatard and Russillo. SVP and Russillo was a really good show as they had a smooth on air chemistry. It was more like a couple of friends talking sports. As for LeBatard, going independent and focusing on podcasting has worked out well for him.

ESPN has been blouted for a long time and never understood why they kept signing more and more people to bigger and longer contracts. The cuts were coming even before the McAfee signing, I am surprise ESPN has not looked at moving out of California as well to cut costs.

Back