MCC Future??

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
INDEED! How did we get here?
:dedhorse:

I don’t want to diverge from the topic of this thread anymore...it can continue somewhere else.

But if we have to move away from Legion Field, id like to see it at the home stadiums for a couple of years before moving back to a neutral site. The amount of money that would be brought to each campus would be insane.

I don’t want to diverge from the topic of this thread anymore...it can continue somewhere else.

But if we have to move away from Legion Field, id like to see it at the home stadiums for a couple of years before moving back to a neutral site. The amount of money that would be brought to each campus would be insane.

I would prefer it stay at Legion Field, but it's not realistic. If it's going to leave LF, I would at least do a test run at the new stadium, and take it from there.

So bama folks y’all might want to consider a move to Atlanta maybe ? 77,000 capacity can expand to 80 k if needed , nice venue , no need to worry about weather with an indoor stadium, great locations to tailgate, and they don’t have a big name classic outside of the celebration bowl so maybe that’s a viable option. Also I don’t think the trip is that bad for both institutions and I believe both schools have strong alumni bases in Atlanta... somebody get on the phone and help these po bama children... you’re welcome in advance ...

Home and home ain’t the way to go. People will fall off and if projections don’t come in the schools could be on the hook. You’ll spend more in set up and personnel before you think about profit

In bham all you do in show up

If they raze legion field at least negotiate a larger guarantee to offset what a fullhouse at legion is compared to fullhouse at that stadium. Also how does that impact tailgating?

Magic City Classic?

In Atlanta? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

We could also involve THE MAGIC CITY.....STRIP CLUB.

Ok, calm down.... I'm kidding y'all.... unless you gon do it. 😄😁😆😅🤣

The main people who keep talking about moving it from Birmingham.... aint from the state... or didn't grow up going to the game. The game aint going nowhere.
There’s serious talk in Montgomery about the future of the MCC. It wouldn’t surprise me if the city of Montgomery didn’t make a bid for the game after the current contract expired.

That’s not true!
I meant to type 2 not 3... and that is true..... even after the pandemic we only lost 115 students... and are still about 6000. From someone that I know thats works in admissions at ASU they were right at 3000 for the fall.

There’s serious talk in Montgomery about the future of the MCC. It wouldn’t surprise me if the city of Montgomery didn’t make a bid for the game after the current contract expired.
These schools are not going to risk getting a lower payout every OTHER year. You go home and home somebody aint getting a check that year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Home and home ain’t the way to go. People will fall off and if projections don’t come in the schools could be on the hook. You’ll spend more in set up and personnel before you think about profit

In bham all you do in show up

If they raze legion field at least negotiate a larger guarantee to offset what a fullhouse at legion is compared to fullhouse at that stadium. Also how does that impact tailgating?
Both schools will ask for more money too offset the full house at Legion field..I would expect it. The move to the new stadium will kill the big tailgating experience so that's dead...rip lol doesn't make any sense...oh well!

Last edited:
I’m Atlanta born & raised, but no way in hell this game should move from Birmingham to Atlanta.

its the only business and financial move that makes sense ... okay.., stay in b ham and be capped at under 50 k attendance and lose money ... go somewhere to continue increasing the payday to both institutions pockets... or y’all can always go knock on Auburn or Alabama door if y’all that pressed on keeping the Alabama tradition... time to be realistic and they not keeping legion up just for one time usage a year.

Honestly, the MCC would probably become even more successful in Atlanta. Both schools are only two hours away from Atlanta, and the game would be in a dome, so weather would not be a factor. Both schools have large alumni bases in Atlanta. Not to mention all the attractions in Atlanta.

Does the stadium really become utterly useless though? Besides losing UAB home games, shouldn't there still be HS football played there every week? Then there's the Birmingham BOTB each year and the MCC. Birmingham has also tried to have yearly Labor Day Classics played there. If the price is right, I'm sure the in-state HBCUs wouldn't mind rotating opening weekends in B-ham with each another.

Does the stadium really become utterly useless though? Besides losing UAB home games, shouldn't there still be HS football played there every week? Then there's the Birmingham BOTB each year and the MCC. Birmingham has also tried to have yearly Labor Day Classics played there. If the price is right, I'm sure the in-state HBCUs wouldn't mind rotating opening weekends in B-ham with each another.

Why would they still play high school games there when they'll have a brand new city stadium? Doesn't make sense lol. You have to know Legion Field probably has another few years, max.

Really this is on Birmingham city council who has to solve this. Both institutions will be ok regardless. Birmingham has nothing to replace the MCC. So if they don't have the foresight to be making plans now oh well. It will be the biggest mistake made in this decade by the city.

Reactions: J C
Really this is on Birmingham city council who has to solve this. Both institutions will be ok regardless. Birmingham has nothing to replace the MCC. So if they don't have the foresight to be making plans now oh well. It will be the biggest mistake made in this decade by the city.
that was a dumb decision by the city to not add more seating knowing damn well the Classic averages more in attendance...now they gotta make up for that and cough up more $$$

Back