Did we overreact by cancelling football?

No way we could afford the testing and quarantine protocols. We can barely field teams in normal years.
you have to change the testing model. waste water testing which lots of places r now doing. so for every dorm you test the waste water and if it show up positive you start a new set of test... pool testing. with pool testing you test multiple people at a time but you put their sample in 2 pools and you can cross match to find positive cases. they are also hoping to roll out a cost effective, rapid, point of care test, that you could administer every day at schools and to teams. know the results w/in half an hour.

It's much easier to do a bubble for basketball than football.

As previously mentioned though, the moment you let one of them run to Walmart or get something to eat, you put everyone to risk

There is a lot of uncertainly with this virus. The latest today according to Dr. Fauci is a vaccine may not become available until the latter part of 2021 to a good part of the population with approximately a 75% success rate. I believe the keyword right now is uncertainty.

cold weather + covid-19 = it's probably about to get real ugly

Australia gets there winter earlier than when we do. Winter in Australia begins at the start of June and ends on the last day of August. They have had a mild flu season. It is Dr. Fauci's contention that it may be a result of them following Covid-19 prevention rules. He could not prognosticate the same thing for the U.S. because folks here aren't following prevention rules as well.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll have football until Fall 2021 at the earliest honestly. Vaccine makers can't even get enough Black people on the trials due to mistrust and recent safety issues.

I don't think we'll have football until Fall 2021 at the earliest honestly. Vaccine makers can't even get enough Black people on the trials due to mistrust
Yeah, it’s going to be tough to play in the Spring. If it’s possible, I’m sure our schools will attempt to give the players an opportunity, at least they get another year of eligibility regardless.

Reactions: EB
SWAC & MEAC made a legal protection decision. Testing could have been available but the presidents didn't want the liability risk. Congress did not pass legislation shielding them from legal liability.

i don't think so. we're still over 1000 deaths a day in this country and also don't know the true numbers of positive cases. the white house slowed down the testing and changed the way the data is interpreted. the scientists don't know and can't agree on whether you can be reinfected along with the long term damage they say the virus does do the heart, etc.

and we're coming into flu season. i think it's going to be colder than normal, especially here in the south.

Virginia Tech has to postpone their game today against Virginia in ACC play because half the team has been in and out of practice due to people testing positive. The coach said , if we had to play today , idk if I would’ve been able to field a team.

the ACC released a statement today saying if they can’t field at least 8 teams , they’ll cancel the entire season due to covid. So, no. The SWAC needs to sit this fall out and prepare for spring ball .

Last edited:

I say no.

Schools administrator in the Big 10 and the politicians may want to do their homework. They need to think needs over wants.

don't know the true numbers of positive cases
idk if I would’ve been able to field a team.

Yes to both of these

The SWAC (with less schollies) would have went through the same issues so they made the right business decision to postpone the season.

We know these PWI are willing to sacrifice black bodies for their enjoyment (and many of these black bodies will willingly do it for "the love of the game" and NFL aspirations) and their bottomline. I'm sure there will be many many stories that will come out of positive test results being hidden to keep players on the field. I'm sure our players would have signed waivers as well willing to play but our leadership took the power out of their hands (as well as the coaches)

I don't think we made the wrong decision, but I do think it's suspect and borderline unethical to have kids and staff on campus then pretend that is less dangerous than having athletes playing sports. Every campus has 50, 60 & 70 year olds, overweight, taking 20 pills a day, WON'T RETIRE, etc, working at major risk.

No HBCU should be forcing people on campus, period.

I don't think we made the wrong decision, but I do think it's suspect and borderline unethical to have kids and staff on campus then pretend that is less dangerous than having athletes playing sports. Every campus has 50, 60 & 70 year olds, overweight, taking 20 pills a day, WON'T RETIRE, etc, working at major risk.

No HBCU should be forcing people on campus, period.

All of our schools are in red states and are public. I think us having on campus classes is strictly political

Back