The greatest teams in the history of your football programs are...

Southern 1997-1999 team was dominate, going undefeated for 3 years in a row in the conference. But the 1999 team was special that was Micheal Hayes come out year. That bayou classic 99 was the best classic I've ever seen. That dog day defense as a group was dominate.

Yeah I was at that 99 Classic as a high school Senior and it was one of the greatest comebacks I have seen. R.I.P. T. Levy

GSU had a football team in the 1940s that was undefeated and no one scored any points against them. That is the greatest GSU football team.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Although I think that the early Valley teams in the mid-50s and mid 60s don't get enough love because it was clearly our most consistent stretch of good football (along with the Archie Cooley years of 83-86)

MVSU Football 1953-1957

I've changed my mind to the 1995 team (11-1).

Too bad we can't see that 2003 team play against the 1995 team.......LOL I tend to agree though. I'd say the 2003 had a better passing attack and the 1995 team was more physical and had a better defense.

I personally knew some of the men that was on that team for Coach Rob. My mother worked with Otis Moore for 20 years as a teacher. A few of the other guys on the team went on to play in the Negro Baseball League. Luther Ensley (NUPE) was one of them.

This is a good topic. Off the top of my head, I will say that the 1964 Prairie View A&M Panthers were the best but will check. I think that Ken Houston, a Pro Football Hall of Fame safety and member of the NFL 75 and 100 all-time teams, was a linebacker on that team. Otis Taylor (WR) and Jim Kearney (QB) were two of the stars.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Southern 1997-1999 team was dominate, going undefeated for 3 years in a row in the conference. But the 1999 team was special that was Micheal Hayes come out year. That bayou classic 99 was the best classic I've ever seen. That dog day defense as a group was dominate.

I’ll have to look up Alex Hines YouTube channel to see if he has that 99 Bayou Classic. I was in 5th grade in 99, so I don’t remember it.

me and my family always sat around and watched the Classic on NBC every year, and we had no ties to SU,GSU or Louisiana

Would it be accurate to say that of GSU's 6 opponents in 1942, only Alcorn State (Leland Colleg being no longer in existence) still competes on the geridiron?

To me, it really doesn't matter......just posting the schedule that @The Founder felt was the greatest team. I did the same thing for the posts I noticed didn't have the supporting schedule.

Michael Hayes was a BAD man!

I’ll have to look up Alex Hines YouTube channel to see if he has that 99 Bayou Classic. I was in 5th grade in 99, so I don’t remember it.

me and my family always sat around and watched the Classic on NBC every year, and we had no ties to SU,GSU or Louisiana
Its on YouTube the 99 bayou classic.

The ‘64 season is funny, considering today’s travel climate. Only 1 game outside of tx. Interesting.

I think the ‘53 & ‘54 teams were the strongest from top to bottom in PV’s football life. My family represented wholly on those as well as the 60s squads. Those are the ones who hauled pulpwood w/out a winch lol and picked cotton from sunup to sundown. Also, quite a few of them originated from HSs where 1 in particular won every fball game for 12 straight years during that stretch.

The middle of the ‘53 and ‘54 defensive teams in particular were anchored by 2 twins, mini-bulldozers, literally; older cousins who I personally saw lift the front of tractors w/out the use of a jack and give a forearm shiver to the head of a full-grown brahma bull that put him to his knees. They were in their late 40s when I saw them do that. Not folklore, way too many witnesses who still discuss those events today.

The ‘64 season is funny, considering today’s travel climate. Only 1 game outside of tx. Interesting.

I think the ‘53 & ‘54 teams were the strongest from top to bottom in PV’s football life. My family represented wholly on those as well as the 60s squads. Those are the ones who hauled pulpwood w/out a winch lol and picked cotton from sunup to sundown. Also, quite a few of them originated from HSs where 1 in particular won every fball game for 12 straight years during that stretch.

The middle of the ‘53 and ‘54 defensive teams in particular were anchored by 2 twins, mini-bulldozers, literally; older cousins who I personally saw lift the front of tractors w/out the use of a jack and give a forearm shiver to the head of a full-grown brahma bull that put him to his knees. They were in their late 40s when I saw them do that. Not folklore, way too many witnesses who still discuss those events today.

I know it was a period in PV history when Texas black high school football athletes were on lock.

I know it was a period in PV history when Texas black high school football athletes were on lock.
Mr Nicks made it mandatory that PV grads who were teachers/principals send their best to PV and the PVIL held every HS playoff/state contest for all black HSs on PV’s campus. PV could choose the best of the best of the best when they wanted, at that time, no recruitment required. Also, PV was the western most HBCU so it had a strong shoe-in w/ the best of Cali and other western states as well.

ut-austin, txa&m, baylor, and at one time uofh employed that exact same formula of hosting to get their dibs in w/ talented student-athletes of all sports @ the HS level.
The PVIL was “absorbed” by the all-white texas uil, which the uil still exists today and the PVIL fell w/ the same lackluster as the olden Negro Baseball League.

Funny isn’t it? Repetitive history at the demise of what Blacks created.

Is number 50, The almighty MD?
My Honorable Mentions for AAMU:

1972- 7-1-1 SIAC Champs, had several standout players on the team that went pro including NFL Hall of Famer- John Stallworth

1979- 8-3-0 SIAC Champs, NCAA D-2 Semi-Finalist, Defeated defending D-1AA National Champs FAMU, Standout Player Mike Williams-Washington Redskins

1989- 8-4-0 SIAC Champs, went to NCAA Playoffs, Standout Player was Barry Wagner who is considered the best Arena Football League Player of All Time

2006- 9-3-0 SWAC Champs, the first so far....

My nomination for Greatest Team

1963: Team went undefeated at 8-0; won the SIAC Championship obviously with a 7-0 conference record.

Lots of guys on the squad stayed in the community, served in many professions as well as volunteering, coaching, and teaching my generation that grew up in Huntsville. So I grew up with the sons and daugthers of many of the players on this team.

BTW, check out #50 in the photo. His contributions to AAMU and the Huntsville Community (and even in the HBCU Sports Boards) has been impeccable.
I overlooked another great Bulldog Team. The 1966 team went undefeated in regular season at 9-0 and played in the Orange Blossom Classic. There were many standouts including QB Onree Jackson who was drafted by the Boston Patriots. -->

https://aamusports.com/news/2016/9/17/football-a-golden-morning-for-the-1966-champion-bulldogs.aspx

Back