The greatest teams in the history of your football programs are...

Coach Rob had more than I can remember.
I'm guessing some of those teams that Pete Richardson coached would be considered right?
I know some of the W.C. Gordon teams would make the list right?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Ken for Alcorn our greatest team has to be the 1968 team. We made our first visit to the Orange Blossom Classic which was led by Ken Riley who had a stellar Pro career with the Bengals. We won the game 36 - 9 and held FAMU to minus 38 yards total offense. That game really put Alcorn on the map in 1968. That year was also the first time we beat Grambling. It was a special time as we had progressed each year from 1964-68 up to that Grambling game. Oscar Martin arguably the best receiver to ever wear the Purple/Gold, Marvin Weeks QB, Allan Simmons, TE Fred Carter, DT David Hadley, DB Rayford Jenkins, LB Joe Owens, DE Oscar Martin, FL Pertis Williams OG, all were First Team All SWAC. That team capped off the winningest season in school history at the time with a 9-1 overall, 6-1 SWAC record. Oscar Martin was the star of the team. He was a wide receiver who got killed in a car accident after the 1969 season. There’s no doubt he would have played in the NFL. Oscar was 6’1, 200 pounds, had great hands and he could fly. Martin was inducted into the Alcorn Sports Hall of Fame in 2001. His No. 18 jersey is one of three in Alcorn history that is retired.

1968 (Marino Casem) 9-1-0 (6-1 SWAC) NATIONAL BLACK CHAMPIONS SWAC CHAMPIONS

Grambling State W, 28-13
Jackson State W, 30-6
Wiley W, 60-5
Texas Southern L, 35-21
Southern W, 28-14
Arkansas AM&N W, 53-0
Mississippi Valley W, 40-0
Prairie View A&M W, 19-6
Kentucky State W, 40-0
Florida A&M W, 36-9 (Orange Blossom Classic)

Last edited:
Baseball:
2003 SU Baseball- (Rickie Weeks, Dewan Day)

Men's Basketball:

1993 SU Men's Basketball (21-10) knocked off #4 seed Georgia Tech (JerVaughn Scales, Leonard White, Terry Thames, Vincent Jones)

2013 SU Men's Basketball (23-10) (Derrick Beltran, Malcolm Miller) nearly knocked off #1 Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament

Women's Basketball
2002 26-4 (17-1) SWAC regular season and conference tournament champions, led by Jacklyn Winfield and received a 14-seed in the NCAA tournament

Football
1948 (12-0)

2003 (12-1)(Quincy Richard, Jarmaul George, Lashaun Peoples, James Vernon, Alfred Ard, Chris Davis)

Pete's 1st team in 1993 (11-1) & 1995 (11-1) wasn't a joke either. The 95 team was 2 points away from going 12-0 (like the 2003 team).

Ken for Alcorn our greatest team has to be the 1968 team. We made our first visit to the Orange Blossom Classic which was led by Ken Riley who had a stellar Pro career with the Bengals. We won the game 36 - 9 and held FAMU to minus 38 yards total offense. That game really put Alcorn on the map in 1968. That year was also the first time we beat Grambling. It was a special time as we had progressed each year from 1964-68 up to that Grambling game. Oscar Martin arguably the best receiver to ever wear the Purple/Gold, Marvin Weeks QB....

As a kid in PG the names of the Receiver "Oscar" and that QB Marvin Weeks were spoken on every street corner in excitement and reference as if they were the greatest football players who had ever played the game! That name "Oscar" triggered long dormant Neuronal Synapses! LOL! Thanks!

Last edited:
We already know the answer for Valley. The most memorable and talked about team in SWAC history

We know the Satellite Express got all the headlines but there was quite a nunber of guys from that 84 team that ended up playing in the NFL (Danta Whitaker, Carl Bynum, Joe Thomas, etc)

We already know the answer for Valley. The most memorable and talked about team in SWAC history

We know the Satellite Express got all the headlines but there was quite a nunber of guys from that 84 team that ended up playing in the NFL (Danta Whitaker, Carl Bynum, Joe Thomas, etc)
Yep that 84 team was a very good one and that game in Jackson between MVSU/ASU still has the largest attended game in that stadium today over 64,000.

My Honorable Mentions for AAMU:

1972- 7-1-1 SIAC Champs, had several standout players on the team that went pro including NFL Hall of Famer- John Stallworth

1979- 8-3-0 SIAC Champs, NCAA D-2 Semi-Finalist, Defeated defending D-1AA National Champs FAMU, Standout Player Mike Williams-Washington Redskins

1989- 8-4-0 SIAC Champs, went to NCAA Playoffs, Standout Player was Barry Wagner who is considered the best Arena Football League Player of All Time

2006- 9-3-0 SWAC Champs, the first so far....

My nomination for Greatest Team

1963: Team went undefeated at 8-0; won the SIAC Championship obviously with a 7-0 conference record.

Lots of guys on the squad stayed in the community, served in many professions as well as volunteering, coaching, and teaching my generation that grew up in Huntsville. So I grew up with the sons and daugthers of many of the players on this team.

BTW, check out #50 in the photo. His contributions to AAMU and the Huntsville Community (and even in the HBCU Sports Boards) has been impeccable.

Attachments

• AAMU 1963 Football Team.jpg
    AAMU 1963 Football Team.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That Ace Mumford team started a 3 years unbeaten 2 ties campaign:
1948 12-0 BCNC
1949 10-0-1 (Tied Langston 14-14) BCNC
1950 10-0-1 (Tied FAMU 0-0) BCNC

I thought it was the team with the 23-game SWAC winning streak. I guess I know why that one is not brought up. LoL.

I thought it was the team with the 23-game SWAC winning streak. I guess I know why that one is not brought up. LoL.

Surely you're not digging for Kudos from a program that has won 1 SWAC Championship in 20 years. I'm not sure that you all are even good enough to be dubbed Average and Mediocre.....LOL

1585778465168.png

Last edited:
Surely you're not digging for Kudos from a program that has won 1 SWAC Championship in 20 years. I'm not sure that you all are even good enough to be dubbed Average and Mediocre.....LOL

View attachment 9762

You forgot 1998:

1998 OPPONENTSRESULTSCONF
L13-19
W14-13
W20-12
W16-7
L24-59
W33-27
L7-14
L20-24
L28-34
W21-12
L24-27

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My Honorable Mentions for AAMU:

1972- 7-1-1 SIAC Champs, had several standout players on the team that went pro including NFL Hall of Famer- John Stallworth

1979- 8-3-0 SIAC Champs, NCAA D-2 Semi-Finalist, Defeated defending D-1AA National Champs FAMU, Standout Player Mike Williams-Washington Redskins

1989- 8-4-0 SIAC Champs, went to NCAA Playoffs, Standout Player was Barry Wagner who is considered the best Arena Football League Player of All Time

2006- 9-3-0 SWAC Champs, the first so far....

My nomination for Greatest Team

1963: Team went undefeated at 8-0; won the SIAC Championship obviously with a 7-0 conference record.

Lots of guys on the squad stayed in the community, served in many professions as well as volunteering, coaching, and teaching my generation that grew up in Huntsville. So I grew up with the sons and daugthers of many of the players on this team.

BTW, check out #50 in the photo. His contributions to AAMU and the Huntsville Community (and even in the HBCU Sports Boards) has been impeccable.

Is number 50, The almighty MD?

Doggone shame ain't it. The puppies need to return back to their corner. I don't know why folks that have lost 7-in-a-row to us dare to throw shade. lol

Oracle is just being.......The Oracle, ain't no rhyme or reason for him.......LOL He has been putting the SWAC on notice for the last 20 years (and we know how that have turned out).

Doggone shame ain't it. The puppies need to return back to their corner. I don't know why folks that have lost 7-in-a-row to us dare to throw shade. lol

I really wish I could debate or have a comeback to this statement; however, in the words of Roberto Duran, "No Mas"......

1948 Southern University Football Team 12-0 and was the first HBCU team to defeat a PWI in a bowl game. The Fruit Bowl in San Francisco.
I don’t think they were scored on, if I remember correctly
Pete's 1st team in 1993 (11-1) & 1995 (11-1) wasn't a joke either. The 95 team was 2 points away from going 12-0 (like the 2003 team).
yea those teams would have killed the 03 team. They were really physical.

It is pathetic that the Jags just cannot accept the end of its greatest stretch of wins in the modern SWAC. They would rather discuss someone's losing streak than discuss their winning streak. But I understand it. Everybody who gets beat by the Bulldogs takes it hard and avoid acknowledging it. Lol... If we don't remind people of it, the thing would be long forgotten.

Oracle is just being.......The Oracle, ain't no rhyme or reason for him.......LOL He has been putting the SWAC on notice for the last 20 years (and we know how that have turned out).

And consider the SWAC on notice for this fall if the Bulldogs are allowed to take the field. Lol...

Southern 1997-1999 team was dominate, going undefeated for 3 years in a row in the conference. But the 1999 team was special that was Micheal Hayes come out year. That bayou classic 99 was the best classic I've ever seen. That dog day defense as a group was dominate.

Back