SWAC Football Championship & 8-game slate made official.

I am cool with the 8 game mandate as long as it is balanced (as some have said, have PV travel to AAMU but play ASU at home)

They still need to address SWAC schools playing each other as OOC opponents thing because if we know what's gonna happen if it is not addressed and the
GSU/SU/JSU/Alcorn combo don't wanna roll off each other's schedule
Dude, this ain't the SEC. Folks gots to make money any way they can. If yall want schools to roll off, step up your fan base so said schools you mentioned will be given a decent incentive to roll off.

This is a great move and I'm sure the Texas and Louisiana HBCUs are especially happy. I hope they do this with basketball ... people in the SWAC don't travel for basketball normally, so why have them start now?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is a great move and I'm sure the Texas and Louisiana HBCUs are especially happy. I hope they do this with basketball ... people in the SWAC don't travel for basketball normally, so why have them start now?

Because it is not as bad in other sports like basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc.

In basketball and soccer schools a two step (for example PV will play AAMU on Saturday and then ASU on Monday). Same for soccer. In sports like bowling and tennis there are round ups. Track and field is regional so schools generally won't go far as tuning up for outdoors. Baseball and softball only play divisional opponents with options for SWAC as OOC opponents (so generally Valley would play Grambling and UAPB as OOC opponents because they are closer although TxSU did come to Valley this year in softball as an OOC opponent)

I mean it’s been what five years since we played Texas southern .. I’m all for it. You got to think man this gets us off these money games that are killing our swac members in injuries just for a check and lowering the overall quality of the conference because a swac teams starters are hurt before conference play. Yes, it’s part of our game... but we need to start keeping revenue generated within the conference and stop running to mastah for a 42 plus ass whooping 4-5 times out the year. 2-3 is good enough. I say a team that rolls off should play a meac or ooc hbcu foe that generates money based off name and current standing. example SU/NCAT , Grambling/Tennessee State, Alabama State / Miles , Alabama A&M vs FAMU... BCU/Alcorn ... To the others that have poor fan basis the current upcoming mandate actually cuts travel down to save y’all money to invest in yalls program , and develop a ooc schedule based on quality of your team that gives the school a chance to develop their fan bases through more Ws than Ls over bad ooc scheduling.. if your school doesn’t have the support, resources, or talent there should be no reason why a d2/ cupcake games shouldn’t be there on the ooc schedule until you develop it... if y’all can’t do that it’s time to start looking at your athletic director and not the conference administration.

Last edited:
This is dope. I like the idea of having the SCG on campus. Actually think we should give it a try a few more years with the possibility of other schools getting a chance to host.

Trust me the feeling is mutual the way your fans travel (and your band doesn't) to Valley it shows. AAMU brings more fans and they are farther away

That's whenever any SU fans say they take over opposing fans stadiums, that is a flat out lie considering that I've been to just about all the games at Valley involving Southern and you will see maybe 2 RVs and enough fans to fit to fit on 2 charter buses

I'm glad the feelings are mutual because there is nothing worse than a conference member trying to force themselves on you...LOL

Trust me the feeling is mutual the way your fans travel (and your band doesn't) to Valley it shows. AAMU brings more fans and they are farther away

That's whenever any SU fans say they take over opposing fans stadiums, that is a flat out lie considering that I've been to just about all the games at Valley involving Southern and you will see maybe 2 RVs and enough fans to fit to fit on 2 charter buses
Last time we played Valley it was on a Thursday. The last time our band came, before the renovation to your stadium, the visitor side was packed.

But will they do our model for scheduling with 1 team rotating on and off from the other division each year, where you ony miss playing a school once every 5 years. Each school will have 4 home and 4 away conference games each season. I hope they fix the PV-su/stu game also. Su should only come to Tx once per season and not twice the way it is now every other year.
SU goes to Mississippi twice the same year. That need to be split up.

SU goes to Mississippi twice the same year. That need to be split up.

That's going to be hard to do since there are THREE Mississippi schools in the conference.
Some years, a West school might have to go into Mississippi twice. Sometimes once depending on the rotations and home-away flip-flops.

Let's Say Southern ... in a five-season cycle (2020-2024) ...

2020: AAMU, @AlaSt, Alcorn, @JSU
2021: AlaSt, @ALCORN, JSU, @MVSU
2022: Alcorn, @JSU, MVSU, @AAMU
2023: JSU, @MVSU, AAMU, @AlaSt
2024: MVSU, @AAMU, AlaSt, @ALCORN
———
in 2025 ... the rotation goes back to 2020 and repeat. It's not that hard.

in 2020, one road trip into Miss (Jackson State); home game vs Alcorn, Valley dropped from schedule
2021: two road trips (Alcorn and Valley); home game vs Jackson
2022: one road trip (Jackson); two home games (Alcorn and Valley)
2023: one home game (Jackson); one road game (Valley); Alcorn dropped
2024: one home game (Valley); one road game (Alcorn); Jackson State dropped ...

Under the formula @Fiyah and I promote, there would be one year where Southern would go into Mississippi for two SWAC games, and that's the year all three Mississippi schools are on the schedule. There would be one year where Southern would have two home SWAC games against Mississippi schools. The other three you'll have one home/away game with Mississippi SWAC schools.

Last edited:
That's going to be hard to do since there are THREE Mississippi schools in the conference.
Some years, a West school might have to go into Mississippi twice. Sometimes once depending on the rotations and home-away flip-flops.

———

in 2020, one road trip into Miss (Jackson State); home game vs Alcorn, Valley dropped from schedule

Under the formula @Fiyah and I promote, there would be one year where Southern would go into Mississippi for two SWAC games, and that's the year all three Mississippi schools are on the schedule. There would be one year where Southern would have two home SWAC games against Mississippi schools. The other three you'll have one home/away game with Mississippi SWAC schools.

Why are folks making this so difficult?
It's a simple plan that's fair to ALL schools in the conference.
You get 4 home games and 4 away games with 2 & 2 being from each division.

Last time we played Valley it was on a Thursday. The last time our band came, before the renovation to your stadium, the visitor side was packed.
Naw we played them in 2016 on a Saturday. Thats the year they only had I believe 150 yards worth of offense. The year you talking about is 2015 at Valley, that was the Willie Quinn Show.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
@Fiyah

It's super easy.

Even determining the first school to roll off is easy. Either you can use alphabetical order

Eastern Division Western Division
Alabama A&M Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Alabama State Grambling State
Alcorn State Prairie View
Jackson State Southern
Mississippi Valley Texas Southern

... or you can use geography. Going from the furthest schools apart to the closest

By distance (from furthest two apart to closest geographically)
Alabama A&M Prairie View (814 miles)
Alabama State Texas Southern (636 miles)
Jackson State Arkansas-Pine Bluff (212 miles)
Mississippi Valley Grambling State (194 miles)
Alcorn State Southern (109 miles)

So for a school like AAMU ...

Model 1 (altering the order to prevent two road trips to Texas)
2020: Grambling, at Prairie View, Texas Southern, at Southern
2021: Prairie View, at Texas Southern, Southern, at UAPB
2022: Texas Southern, at Southern, UAPB, at Grambling
2023: Southern, at UAPB, Grambling, at Prairie View
2024: UAPB, at Grambling, Prairie View, at Texas Southern

Model 2 (geography)
2020: Texas Southern, at UAPB, Grambling, at Southern
2021: UAPB, at Grambling, Southern, at Prairie View
2022: Grambling, at Southern, Prairie View, at Texas Southern
2023: Southern, at Prairie View, Texas Southern, at UAPB
2024: Prairie View, at Texas Southern, UAPB, at Grambling

@Fiyah

It's super easy.

Even determining the first school to roll off is easy. Either you can use alphabetical order

Eastern Division Western Division
Alabama A&M Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Alabama State Grambling State
Alcorn State Prairie View
Jackson State Southern
Mississippi Valley Texas Southern

... or you can use geography. Going from the furthest schools apart to the closest

By distance (from furthest two apart to closest geographically)
Alabama A&M Prairie View (814 miles)
Alabama State Texas Southern (636 miles)
Jackson State Arkansas-Pine Bluff (212 miles)
Mississippi Valley Grambling State (194 miles)
Alcorn State Southern (109 miles)

So for a school like AAMU ...

Model 1 (altering the order to prevent two road trips to Texas)
2020: Grambling, at Prairie View, Texas Southern, at Southern
2021: Prairie View, at Texas Southern, Southern, at UAPB
2022: Texas Southern, at Southern, UAPB, at Grambling
2023: Southern, at UAPB, Grambling, at Prairie View
2024: UAPB, at Grambling, Prairie View, at Texas Southern

Model 2 (geography)
2020: Texas Southern, at UAPB, Grambling, at Southern
2021: UAPB, at Grambling, Southern, at Prairie View
2022: Grambling, at Southern, Prairie View, at Texas Southern
2023: Southern, at Prairie View, Texas Southern, at UAPB
2024: Prairie View, at Texas Southern, UAPB, at Grambling
I appreciate your diagram but how in the hell u type all of this? Man!

I appreciate your diagram but how in the hell u type all of this? Man!

@Fiyah and I have been arguing for the 8-game schedule for years. So it's kinda of muscle memory LOL
Now the geography part going from furthest apart to closest; that took Google Maps ... and I had time today.

But, the bottom line is that the 8-game schedule is a lot more simpler than folks think, even down to who to roll off each year. Some folk just need visual aids LOL

@Fiyah and I have been arguing for the 8-game schedule for years. So it's kinda of muscle memory LOL
Now the geography part going from furthest apart to closest; that took Google Maps ... and I had time today.

But, the bottom line is that the 8-game schedule is a lot more simpler than folks think, even down to who to roll off each year. Some folk just need visual aids LOL

Listening to Dr McClelland yesterday on Cavil's show he said they will be unveiling it at the football media day event next month.

———

You know I’m talking splitting up Alcorn/JSU.

Back