Why is it difficult for the SWAC to schedule top FCS Schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why help your competition, especially when they are struggling. Only speaking for SU, but we are at a position of strength when it comes to scheduling as every team in the boot minus LSU wants to play SU. We are a guaranteed sellout. Matter of fact SU owns attendance records at ULL, SLu, Nicholls, and Northeestern ST. You would never see LSU traveling to any in state school in football. You know why, because they are a position of strength and have way to much to lose. Same with SU. We scheduled McNeese and Northwestern and lost to them. That hurt our brand. I would never ever play a instate Fcs school. I would play every FBS school minus LSU in state. Doesn't matter if we lose to them, as we are suppose to lose to them.

PS I think it's a bad idea for TSU to play Houston Baptist. Lose to them and forever hurt their local recruiting. TSU has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing them.

Based on a couple of ADs and other well-informed insiders that I've talked to, it's become less of a priority. In cases where a home and home is scheduled, it appears that we (HBCU) will bring quite a few people to their stadiums, but they (non-HBCU FCS schools) don't do the same in return. As a result, HBCUs don't benefit as well financially when they are the host school. I am sure there is data out there somewhere on the Internet to support this.

And that's it in a nut shell. Throw all the other nonsense out the window.

Why you say as JSU ?

JSU is in the same spot as Southern IMO far as local FCS schools. Why would JSU help out McNeese, SELA, NSU, etc. when we know they won't travel (those schools are local to JSU not Valley).

Plus in MS, as you know, the FCS schools are the SWAC schools. DSU and MC are D2 so those are possible and make some sense and there is USM (which at this point is the equal of a high level Sun Belt school).

Maybe it can happen once we get rid of the 9 game mandate schedule. I feel that it should only be eight and SWAC Schools should be encouraged to schedule powerhouse FCS Schools. But please upgrade the teams so we won't be the laughing stock of College Football and actually compete with them.

LMAO...You all are beating around The Elephant in The Room:

A Lot SWAC folks are scared that your teams can't even beat the MEAC teams on a consistent basis. You have the Atlanta Classic, The Nation's Football Classic, the Chicago Classic, etc.

You cannot ignore the MEAC any longer. Before you go out here and put Sam Houston State or SE Louisiana on the schedule, let's see if you can beat the MEAC or TN State on a regular basis.

I'm telling you all the way we got to go to live in the Future. HBCU Football is its own Brand. MEAC vs. SWAC has to be strengthened.

Look, all MEAC people are not the same. Howard is different from FAMU. Hampton is different from SCSU. We have no we MUST Re-OPEN these lines of Communication and start scheduling more regular season games.

Teams like Sam Houston State are what I call "complete" football teams. By the term "Complete Football Team" I'm talking about teams that are at minimal "mediocre" in every phase of game.

Example: PV beat SFA with a B Offense but had an F- Defense. Sam Houston on the other is what I like to call a Complete Football team. AT MINIMAL they are Offense: C, Defense: C, Special Teams: C. They don't have Fs.

Ask Southern how many Northwestern State fans came to Baton Rouge after SU packed NSU's stadium!

Actually Southern worked out the situation in the contract. NSU paid SU $40,000 when SU played at Northwestern State. This $40,000 was to compensate for the disparity in the visiting fans in attendance.

Jacksonville St and UNA us to us the same way. We would sell out their stadiums, and only get about 200 white folks when they came to Huntsville. lol

Jacksonville St brought a good crowd to Montgomery the last time we played them. I would like to play them in a home and home series. I support the 8 game format for conference play.

Jacksonville St and UNA us to us the same way. We would sell out their stadiums, and only get about 200 white folks when they came to Huntsville. lol
well they all came to montgomery in a rain storm. would have been a sellout if not for the weather 2 years ago. but again, we need to schedule them and beat them, and have our fans fill the stands, not theirs. stop trying to count on someone other than your schools fans to fill your stadium. I don't want mcneese to bring 20k to baton rouge and turn SU's field into their own home field advantage. I want SU to be 28k deep and stomp a mud hole in them and their fans have to read about it in the paper, having not had the opportunity to witness it themselves.

During the SWAC baseball tournament the Commissioner said it was on the agenda to discuss during the summer meetings. Either stay at 9 or go reduce to 7.

9 or 7 is wrong for the conference......8 is the happy medium.

I think eight games would be better.

Yep, much easier to schedule the opposite conference on a regular basis with only missing to play 1 team instead of 2. Easier to schedule 3 OOC games than it is to schedule 4.

9 or 7 is wrong for the conference......8 is the happy medium.

Yep, much easier to schedule the opposite conference on a regular basis with only missing to play 1 team instead of 2. Easier to schedule 3 OOC games than it is to schedule 4.

Well, whatever they decide some will be pissed about the decision and others will be even more pissed.

They should move to a 7 game mandate and this will open up 2 games for some schools to schedule. Imagine if GSU could stop playing those Alabama schools and add McNeese and Northwestern to our schedule playing a home at home and one on Shreveport.

Also I pray they put in some form of punishment for schools that do not field a full schedule.

They should move to a 7 game mandate and this will open up 2 games for some schools to schedule. Imagine if GSU could stop playing those Alabama schools and add McNeese and Northwestern to our schedule playing a home at home and one on Shreveport.

Also I pray they put in some form of punishment for schools that do not field a full schedule.

You got 2 games to schedule now.....remember gsu was apart of the group that wanted the 9 game mandate and pushed for it.

Like I've showed you before that the NCAA only requires you to play a conference schedule, anything else is just for your own school to decide.

They need to make sure you can't schedule ooc games with conference foes not on your schedule.

Careful Founder. Folks in the War Party Room will want to set you up for a scalping when the Morning Sun rises.

LMAO...So NOW some of you are realizing the White Folks don't return the Love. Wow......The Blind are Starting to See.

Let's be real: JSU vs. FAMU 2015 was rainy, stormy, etc. it would have been a better turnout if it was sunny.

SU and JSU is the best game this conference has to offer. It's a must this game is played every year. Teams should be able to pick one permanent rival.

Have to go off of current events: it may be fair to say Alcorn and Grambling will be SU's biggest games in 2015 IF everyone is winning.

I'll let you have SU vs. JSU each year if you agree to put FAMU every year on the schedule too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back