Why is it difficult for the SWAC to schedule top FCS Schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question.

I give a kudos to PVAMU for scheduling McNeese St, ACU, & SFA recently. And to sTu for scheduling McNeese St and SHSU recently. It's inexcusable for both not to schedule SLC schools that are in phyhsical proximity, unless, the ADs/presidents don't want the truth about identifying a GOOD football team beating the dog hell out of their football team being exposed to their respective naive fanbase.

Last fall, I watched SHSU dominate Alabama St and I watched McNeese St dominate PVAMU. SHSU, obviously, was a good FCS team and McNeese St wasn't a slouch (injury bug got them down the line). I have a little big cousin in the starting backfield @ HBU. I've watched HBU start from nothing and take a few steps towards some semblance of respecability in a competitive SLC. Why not schedule an HBU, IWU, or ACU unless one actually has something to lose (notariety, respectability, recruiting advantage, et al).

I think it's more of a bottom-line issue than it is a competition issue ...

I'm sure somebody will come here and say "we recruit against them," while ignoring the fact we recruit against lower-tier FBS schools as well.

Geographically, some of our schools playing some of those top-tier FCS schools work in the box office.

Maybe a better question is why doesn't our leadership push the issue more.

Based on a couple of ADs and other well-informed insiders that I've talked to, it's become less of a priority. In cases where a home and home is scheduled, it appears that we (HBCU) will bring quite a few people to their stadiums, but they (non-HBCU FCS schools) don't do the same in return. As a result, HBCUs don't benefit as well financially when they are the host school. I am sure there is data out there somewhere on the Internet to support this.

I think it's more of a bottom-line issue than it is a competition issue ...

I'm sure somebody will come here and say "we recruit against them," while ignoring the fact we recruit against lower-tier FBS schools as well.

Geographically, some of our schools playing some of those top-tier FCS schools work in the box office.

A nice home-and-home vs an SLCer; I understand the propensity for their fans not to visit certain campuses/venues due to a ridiculous stereotypical negative mindset while certain HBCU fanbases travel and set attendance records @ others stadiums but still.... And I'm only speaking on PVAMU and a lil' bit of sTu as we have to learn to be about the business of generating revenue from others fanbases instead of (financially) squeezing the < +-500 core supporting fans for program support - and save $$$$ (via less travel) simultaneously.

PVAMU's 2015 schedule is nice, considering.... We have a slaughter for a club team coming in OOC to the high school venue for a small payday and also OOC we travel to D-I FBS Tx St for a payday. I'm really curious who the other school will be for the 2016 schedule outside of Rice University. SHSU? SFA? HBU? <<<<<********** IWU? <<<<<<******* ACU? What about UNT-Denton? SMU?

I think sTu has a home and home with HBU in football starting in 2016.

Sometimes I cannot stand Charles McClelland lol. Smart. VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY SMART MOVE!!!!! :mad:

Damn sTu is on the upswing. If they can put the right coaching personnel to recruit.... man.....

It all depends on your region the Alabama, Texas, and Louisiana FCS HBCUs shouldnt have as big of an issue as JSU in trying to bring in FCS opponents to their venue that makes sense financially..

Based on a couple of ADs and other well-informed insiders that I've talked to, it's become less of a priority. In cases where a home and home is scheduled, it appears that we (HBCU) will bring quite a few people to their stadiums, but they (non-HBCU FCS schools) don't do the same in return. As a result, HBCUs don't benefit as well financially when they are the host school. I am sure there is data out there somewhere on the Internet to support this.
This is true, but it also applies to other HBCUs, as well. FAMU, BCU, Howard, Hampton ain't bringing any more fans as NW State or SFA. Schedule very close schools like SE La, or J'ville State.

Top-Level FCS Schools still are excuses for getting whipped on the field.

OOC FCS HBCUs however do not provide breathing room for excuses.

I think a major issue is geography. Since you said "TOP" FCS schools, how many are within the SWAC footprint? SHSU, McNeese, J'ville State, SELA who else? I think that's it. SWAC schools have played all of them within the decade.

If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. Bottom line.

Pretty much.

When you are in MS, the closest non-SWAC FCS schools are 4-6 hours away (NSU, JSU, UCA, UT-Martin, McNeese, etc.). As far as Valley concerned, you got just as many small FBS schools within that distance (Arkansas State, ULM, USA, USM, Troy, Tulane) that you could play and get a pay day and not go far

As previously mentioned, playing them "for the sake of competition" ain't paying the bills.. Plus SWAC schools drawing record crowds for other schools while they bring flies ain't hitting on nothing...

A couple of conference teams should be playing top level fcs competition each season. Alcorn or Jackson State might not schedule a home and home with some one every year (particularly with the 9 game mandate) but have a series every few years is feasible. What isn't cool is the one offs we do, like Alcorn going to JMU but JMU never coming to alcorn. or pv going to fargo but not getting a return game. yeah, getting them in your house, they may not bring a lot of fans, but that a you (or an Alcorn problem) problem. You shouldn't be looking around for the other teams fans to fill your house. that's your job. troy hadn't played bama state in football in about 10 years... because they don't need'em. Once pv gets their stadium done, the only school averaging less than 15k a home date should be valley.

Even when Bama State did used to play Troy we all used to go up there and when they came to Montgomery they only brought a handful of fans. And it wasn't even an hour drive. And realistically, for the most part they'll only schedule you if they think you'll buy a lot of tickets to their game. And when its time for them to come to yours, they're ghost. Or if they need a game they know they'll win, like NDSU scheduling PV. Try scheduling games with them where they don't think you'll be able to bring a lot of people and watch what happens. That's pretty much the only reason you see teams like Coastal scheduling A&T & SCSU...and the Texas teams scheduling PV & TxSO. Or maybe the long shot of them wanting to be able to come to your area to recruit.

A couple of conference teams should be playing top level fcs competition each season. Alcorn or Jackson State might not schedule a home and home with some one every year (particularly with the 9 game mandate) but have a series every few years is feasible. What isn't cool is the one offs we do, like Alcorn going to JMU but JMU never coming to alcorn. or pv going to fargo but not getting a return game. yeah, getting them in your house, they may not bring a lot of fans, but that a you (or an Alcorn problem) problem. You shouldn't be looking around for the other teams fans to fill your house. that's your job. troy hadn't played bama state in football in about 10 years... because they don't need'em. Once pv gets their stadium done, the only school averaging less than 15k a home date should be valley.

How long will be on this format..it's 2015 folk smh

not fussin at you, but this stuck out and it's been what 20 plus years since we been on this format (I could be wrong)...and what has it gotten us..I think they changed it in 2007 or something..(don't recall)

Why is it difficult for the SWAC to schedule top FCS Schools?

If I had to guess, only Alcorn and Valley may have this problem........With other members, I think it is just a personal preference and what is more feasible or lucrative when it comes to scheduling.

Even when Bama State did used to play Troy we all used to go up there and when they came to Montgomery they only brought a handful of fans. And it wasn't even an hour drive. And realistically, for the most part they'll only schedule you if they think you'll buy a lot of tickets to their game. And when its time for them to come to yours, they're ghost. Or if they need a game they know they'll win, like NDSU scheduling PV. Try scheduling games with them where they don't think you'll be able to bring a lot of people and watch what happens. That's pretty much the only reason you see teams like Coastal scheduling A&T & SCSU...and the Texas teams scheduling PV & TxSO. Or maybe the long shot of them wanting to be able to come to your area to recruit.
Guarantee ticket sales in the contract. A lot of our issues can be dealt with in writing.

How long will be on this format..it's 2015 folk smh

not fussin at you, but this stuck out and it's been what 20 plus years since we been on this format (I could be wrong)...and what has it gotten us..I think they changed it in 2007 or something..(don't recall)

During the SWAC baseball tournament the Commissioner said it was on the agenda to discuss during the summer meetings. Either stay at 9 or go reduce to 7.

Ask Southern how many Northwestern State fans came to Baton Rouge after SU packed NSU's stadium!

Hell, it was the same with us when we played McNeese in that home and home. Granted, we had a good turn out, but it didn't come close to the record crowd we gave them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back