SWAC presidents on 7-game: Not so fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
TP,

Why are you entertaining this??? Everybody, including them, know who has appeal and who doesn't. Alum keeps talking about how they wanna schedule us because they beat us, but ignores how they continued to play us when we were bussing heads. Bell was only in Jackson 3 years. Jackson State is a draw, even with Bell.

There is more money to be made by JSU with 4 OOC games, as opposed to 2. Simple as that. We can get much more attractive opponents that our fans would love to see us play.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Seems that some of you would rather argue and bicker than to consider the possibilities raised in post #35......

No wonder why I don't post that much on this 'bode........

:smh:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Seems that some of you would rather argue and bicker than to consider the possibilities raised in post #35......

No wonder why I don't post that much on this 'bode........

:smh:
Posting here is up to you. But schools are less willing to move games from on-campus these days. Does one ticket cover the two games on Saturday? If so, how is the money split? What about concessions and parking money the schools lose by playing in Jackson? You make it sound so simple, when I don't see it being that way.

Tigerpride said:
You played FAMU once and you had to pay them to play you. We get series with FAMU.
???

umm TP,
We were playing FAMU back when I was in school. And before then too. :smh:

I don't recall you playing Howard in the past 5 years
just because you don't recall it, doesnt mean we didnt play them.
You played BCC once and SCState was only becasue of the ESPN Challenge. They would not have played you otherwise.
so, when did you play BCC or SCState in the last 5 years, for any reason?

If Paul Quinn was the only opponent we could get, then I would feel bad. I know they were not so I don't care what you say
Whether they were or were not, they are on your schedule. Period. Nobody else. And seeing that its the first game of the year, that makes it all the worser, cause yall can't say that you couldnt find a team with a common open date. Heck, couldn't yall have at least gotten a MEAC team (seeing how they are the measure of so much, for you

Also, even if AlaState was the first choice of Detroit, after appearances by FAMU and JSU, they know who the city wants to see.
yup, Alabama State, the first choice!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

why would you even factor JSU into that equation after that classic flopped with yall there last year?

It shole would be so much better if folks would at least be halfway objective and truthful.

sheesh!

Fiyah said:
Yep,

All these folks posturing about this and that and they still don't get it. :smh:

Now THAT'S the bottom line, right there!!

:tup:

org. posted by mh
It shole would be so much better if folks would at least be halfway objective and truthful.

Frat, surely you don't expect that from THIS group do you?

I am not going to smack any SWAC school unless it is the light-harded banter of the smack board. So let's not allow our love for our school or our dislike for others get in the way of a good thread.
This is more of a discussion about the HAVES and the HAVE-NOTS. The bottom line is the HAVES want more scheduling flexibility to max their earning potential and to attempt to keep up in a world of athletics that cost increasingly more each year.
While the HAVE-NOTS are concerned that schedule flexibility will lead to losing guaranteed paydays that allow them to make their budget. Now, it is up to the school presidents to decide whether it wants to hold the HAVE back to help the HAVE-NOTS or allow the HAVES to proceed and hope the HAVE-NOTS don't fall further behind financially.
This is not about WINS AND LOSSES on the field. As I have said before NOW is the time to separate the HAVES from the HAVE-NOTS because if the SWAC continues to side with the HAVE-NOTS then everyone will eventually become a HAVE-NOT, which is already beginning to happen. (Check or records against non-conference teams in basketball and football) .
I say we have a product, Let's sell it. Schedule up for money and exposure and use that money and exposure to improve your program or drop down to Division II where your budget fits in better with the competition.

I think ALL of you need to go back and read Cee Dog's post on the first page of this thread. For those that are too lazy to do so, well, here t'is:

The funny thing about this is that JAFUS has been telling you guys for over 2 years that all our Presidents support the 9 game. You folks just don't get reality. HBCU presidents are special.

Please (for your own sakes) pay attention to that....especially the sentence in bold. It maybe a few words, but it says a great deal.

I just wish they would stick with something and be done with it.

All this every two years changing the requirements is getting ridiculous. Get everyone in a room, document the discussion, and the next time a new set of people are at the table drop the documentation there and let they read that the same issues that they are bringing up have already have been discussed.

This all comes down to leadership and nip things in butt become they fester and become bigger than they are.

GRAM4LIFE said:
I just wish they would stick with something and be done with it.

All this every two years changing the requirements is getting ridiculous. Get everyone in a room, document the discussion, and the next time a new set of people are at the table drop the documentation there and let they read that the same issues that they are bringing up have already have been discussed.

This all comes down to leadership and nip things in butt become they fester and become bigger than they are.

:tup:

mighty hornet said:
???

umm TP,
We were playing FAMU back when I was in school. And before then too. :smh:

YEAH BUT THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO.

just because you don't recall it, doesnt mean we didnt play them.

YOU DON'T EITHER

so, when did you play BCC or SCState in the last 5 years, for any reason?

WE CAN'T PLAY EVERYBODY BUT WE HAVE BEEN IN TALKS WITH BCC.

Whether they were or were not, they are on your schedule. Period. Nobody else. And seeing that its the first game of the year, that makes it all the worser, cause yall can't say that you couldnt find a team with a common open date. Heck, couldn't yall have at least gotten a MEAC team (seeing how they are the measure of so much, for you

THE POINT IS, WE COULD HAVE HAD A MEAC SCHOOL OR A SOUTHLAND SCHOOL...WE WANTED PAUL QUINN!! WHEN WE CHOSE PAUL QUINN, THE DETROIT CLASSIC WAS STILL BEGGING FOR TEAMS AND THE CCC WAS STILL LOOKING AS WELL. WE GOT THE TEAM WE WANTED TO START THE COMEGY ERA WITH. WE WANTED A HOME GAME + EASY WIN.

yup, Alabama State, the first choice!!!!!

why would you even factor JSU into that equation after that classic flopped with yall there last year?

BECAUSE WITHOUT FAMU THE ATTENDANCE DROPPED BY 13K WHEN YOU PLAYED HOWARD FROM 58K TO 45K. ALSO JSU PLAYED THE WEEK AFTER KATRINA. YOU CAN'T MAKE THAT COMPARISON. I DOUBT THAT YOU HAVE ANY MORE DRAWING POWER IN DETROIT THAN JSU, FAMU, TNSTATE, SU OR GRAMBLING. THAT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE ONE PLACE YOU CAN AT LEAST COMPETE WITH US.

YOU SHOLE IS RIGHT!!

sheesh!

:rolly:

AAMU Alum said:
Like y'all and Paul Quinn. Oooh, we are so jealous of you, and your big 3 arses for getting such a powerhouse on your schedule. Woe iz usses. We iz green wit' envy!

I don't like playing Paul Quinn but I do take pride in knowing that we will draw more for our Paul Quinn game than you will draw for your Homecoming...which is your biggest home game of the year.

lmao that you "have been in talks with BCC"
:lmao::lmao:

I guess that's suppose to be impressive, much like how you could have "had a MEAC school or a Southland school, but yet yall "wanted Paul Quinn"

I DOUBT THAT YOU HAVE ANY MORE DRAWING POWER IN DETROIT THAN JSU, FAMU, TNSTATE, SU OR GRAMBLING.
ummm, go study your history kid. You'll find out about the pipeline between Alabama and Michigan. btw, I was looking at my new alumni directory last night. ASU is mighty deep in Detroit.

Tigerpride said:
I don't like playing Paul Quinn but I do take pride in knowing that we will draw more for our Paul Quinn game than you will draw for your Homecoming...which is your biggest home game of the year.

Nah, their biggest home game this year will be against SU. They don't even show up for their own homecoming unless it's SU and even then it isn't sold out(been there for the last 2 SU games(04 & 02 in Hville). Heck even MD said many times on here that the AAMU faithful likes to travel to away games rather than attend home games.

Who cares anymore........................This conference is run by the HAVE NOTS.:smh:
Ad's and Coaches opinion's are meaningless in the SWAC.:look:

Decide on a 9 game mandate and don't say shat when we beat the shat out of the Paul Quinn's and Miles of the world.

They will be the only teams that can't insist on a home and home contract............LIKE ANY DECENT TEAM WOULD.

So..................shufflin' along on this subject.:fart:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The funny thing about this that SU, JSU and GSU presidents voted the same way AAMU, ALSU, ASU, UAPB, TXSU, PVU, and MVSU presidents did, but all you keep hearing is what SU, JSU and GSU fans wanted. This tells me one or two things either your schools are in the same boat as AAMU, ALSU, ASU, UAPB, TXSU, PVU, and MVSU or you all (the fans) are living in la la land about what you Think your schools are. If any one can prove that the presidents voted 7 to 3 then I will admit you are the SWAC, if not will you uniformed posters please move on and join your Alumni boards to find out what is really going on!!!!!! Lets be real the SWAC schools are broke. Black folks would rather buy expensive cloths and cars with big rims before they give $100.00 to their schools. Some of us don’t even give money to the church let alone give money to our schools. Stop fronting please.

CEE DOG said:
The funny thing about this that SU, JSU and GSU presidents voted the same way AAMU, ALSU, ASU, UAPB, TXSU, PVU, and MVSU presidents did, but all you keep hearing is what SU, JSU and GSU fans wanted. This tells me one or two things either your schools are in the same boat as AAMU, ALSU, ASU, UAPB, TXSU, PVU, and MVSU or you all (the fans) are living in la la land about what you Think your schools are. If any one can prove that the presidents voted 7 to 3 then I will admit you are the SWAC, if not will you uniformed posters please move on and join your Alumni boards to find out what is really going on!!!!!! Lets be real the SWAC schools are broke. Black folks would rather buy expensive cloths and cars with big rims before they give $100.00 to their schools. Some of us don?t even give money to the church let alone give money to our schools. Stop fronting please.
:tup::tup:

great post!
The End. Period.

:lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope.................President's are not the same as AD's or Coaches.

AD's and Coaches do what is right for their ATHELETIC PROGRAM's when they get together.

President's glad-hand and promise continued "support" for their FELLOW INSTITUTION's............not leaving anyone "behind".

Learn the difference between the 2 group's PRIORITIES.

JR said:
Nah, their biggest home game this year will be against SU. They don't even show up for their own homecoming unless it's SU and even then it isn't sold out(been there for the last 2 SU games(04 & 02 in Hville). Heck even MD said many times on here that the AAMU faithful likes to travel to away games rather than attend home games.

Another liar in the midst.

The AAMU/SU game in 02 was in INDY, when you got your @ss beat at the RCA Dome. I guess you forgot. Still, none of your diatribe means a thing. (See Cee Dog's post above.)

should go w/ the 7 game mandate over the 9. a few reasons.

scheduling should be easier than ever if you want to play an IA opponent. now they have 12 games and can have a IAA game count toward bowl eligibility every season, thus alabama state vs troy helps troy at the gate and if they win helps their chances of being in a bowl.

since the 9 game mandate the quality of swac football imho has gone down. why do I say that? well, we can't beat anyone out of conference. not IA, IAA, not DII. we play each other every week, face the same bad coaches and call ourselves bcf champions as if that's worth anything.

going w/ the 7 game mandate means 4 open dates. what it also means is that AD's have to get off their butts and work. we shouldn't need the money games as much as we do. as jafus has explained we give all of the profits for our "classics" away to promoters so we don't have any risk. now what since does that make? you could take home a million from 1 game like mcc if your willing to assume some of the risk, or.....take 250K if you want someone else to front the cash. now, how many of you think lsu would take choice #2? anyone? so why do we do that dumb stuff?!!

we all need to understand that there is no welfare in college football. either you can afford to play or you can't. uapb...how hard is it to sell out a 10k seat stadium every saturday? mcdonalds in pinebluff sell 10k value meals on saturday. bama state, in montgomery, capital city, 300k in the metro can't find 22k every saturday to fill up crampton bowl? you can, but has the athletic admin been trying? no. they're slow and inefficient and don't treat athletics as a business venture. you can not and should not be depending on someone elses program to put butts in your seats. that is your job!!

in basketball, we all want to make the ncaa tourney for pride of the program but also to get that tourney check, but there is not a school in the conference, that if they got serious about marketing the program to the fans and sold season tickets as if their life depended on it wouldn't make way....way.....way.....more money.

finally let me say that I hope some of the schools in the swac move on. jsu would be the perfect fit for conference usa. natural rivals w/ memphis and usm. southerns fans would show up and support the cause unlike some in the swac that if they're not playing grambling then they don't go. so SU doesn't have to have the swac to maintain intrest in it's athletic dept. and the truth is we all want to see our schools and teams compete and be the best. that's why the state rep in s. carolina was asking for 20k tickets for the game w/ USC. b/c even though they don't get 20k on a normal saturday, when it's time to play for pride and they get a shot at the big boy they want to see it.

so even though some of you say IA is a pipe dream, some of our institutions are uniquely positioned to be sucessful on that level w/ proper management. as well IA football is not all about football, but about the exposure provided the university and the doors it opens for growth of the school.

gentleman, it's time to look for new cheese. get your shoes from around your neck. dig that velvet track suit out of the closet and let's explore the maze. i know change can be scary, but it can also be exciting.

I might be wrong, but doesn't the President's make the final call about finances of their universities?
staggalee83 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope.................President's are not the same as AD's or Coaches.

AD's and Coaches do what is right for their ATHELETIC PROGRAM's when they get together.

President's glad hand and promise continued "support" for their FELLOW INSTITUTION's............not leaving anyone "behind".

Learn the difference between the 2 group's PRIORITIES.

CEE DOG said:
I might be wrong, but doesn't the President's make the final call about finances of their universities?

Yep...................And when their "Upper Crust" buddies has their ear, trust me, SPORT's is one of the last thing that comes up....................YOU CAN BET THAT.

It's easier for them to vote to keep playing each other and keep the "family" together..................even if some have there "hand out" all the time.

If they vote the way they should, they know it's a matter of time before some teams fall by the waste side.

Ya'll can shape this all you want........................TELL ME ONE DANG WAY JSU BENIFIT'S FROM A 9 GAME MANDATE......................ANYBODY.

Tell me how a 9 GAME MANDATE is better for JSU than a 7 GAME MANDATE since we getting specific.

CEE DOG said:

In the REAL world, they do.

In Fantasyland (which is obviously where some of these folks live and breathe,) I'm not so sure.

AAMU Alum said:
In the REAL world, they do.

In Fantasyland (which is obviously where some of these folks live and breathe,) I'm not so sure.

Care to answer the question I posed up there in the last sentence.:look:

staggalee83 said:
Ya'll can shape this all you want........................TELL ME ONE DANG WAY JSU BENIFIT'S FROM A 9 GAME MANDATE......................ANYBODY.

Tell me how a 9 GAME MANDATE is better for JSU than a 7 GAME MANDATE since we getting specific.

Here it is again if ya'll mysteriously miss it to post meaningless "jokes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back