SU President Search

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I see where Dr. Toldson is a finalist and whispers around the city place him as the front runner?

How do you guys feel about him? Interesting choice. He will come with plenty of connections and fundraising portals. Some of his views fall outside of the HBCU norm which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. You guys think he could survives the politics of SU.

Do you guys see a big difference between him and Mason?
@JR, @jag4life @number1 @Bighead

Last edited:

From Assoc. Professor to President? Quite a leap. Dr. Toldson is a great scholar but I'd be wary of this on both ends. Lack of real administrative experience.

He is Deputy Director of the White House HBCU Intitiatives Office.

Good for connections but that office doesn't have a big administrative component to it. Nothing on the level of being Chancellor of a system and having to deal with that board.

I see Toldson made to the final three. Is SU this bold?

Come on now, @jag4life @JAG89 @JagHammer @JR @Bighead @number1 . Yall rocking with Belton or Toldson?
I hate to be honest, but I'm must do some research before I can give a fair assessment. I believe Belton is more familiar with the politics and climate of Southern, and how to navigate and survive being on the Bluff. However, Tolson may be the guy we need going forward.

I think he would do just fine. But by him being someone associated with President Obama's Administration, he would need to stay one step ahead of board members like TC. TC's ego along with his Republican buddies keeping his head filled with bull makes things difficult for any top administrative person at SU. I hope the next governor doesn't re-appoint him when his term expires in December of 2018.

If you're looking for someone with experience in the SU system and has administrative experience, you would go with Belton.

If you're looking for a youth movement and someone that possibly might bring in some innovation to the system you go with Toldson.

I want someone that knows how to energize the alumni to get them to donate and improve the financial situation of the system, someone that can move us to the level that SU is supposed to be at.

I see where Dr. Toldson is a finalist and whispers around the city place him as the front runner?

How do you guys feel about him? Interesting choice. He will come with plenty of connections and fundraising portals. Some of his views fall outside of the HBCU norm which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. You guys think he could survives the politics of SU.

Do you guys see a big difference between him and Mason?
@JR, @jag4life @number1 @Bighead

If he can help SU, I am all for it. I am just tired of the same ole same ole. Politics are a mug in BR and Louisiana in general. If he can navigate through those land mines of political trickery and such. He will be successful.

I bumped into my main man Dr. Leonard Haynes on the train on Thursday. Yall didn't even give the brother a phonecall this time huh?

Truth is that Ivory should have been running the HBCU office but some of the old guard opposed him being the top guy because his lack of a HBCU pedigree.

I too am researching Toldson. He seems to have the backing of a great many of the Younger SU Alumni. He seems to have great connections and may be what we need to proceed forward.

Yes, Belton knows the system, but he is STILL part of the system. Politics at SU is a Beast. It can make or Break you.

Hoping for the best with this Hire. We can't afford to Eff this up!

Speaking of President's. SU lost a legendary President today in Dr. Delores Spikes as she passed away at the age of 78. She was a great leader and an even greater person. High Standards was what she was about. Nothing less. If we can find anyone even close to what she was as our leader. We will be in great shape.

Southern Presidential Finalist Lays Out Plan for Progress

If Southern University supervisors name White House HBCU Initiative Deputy Director Ivory Toldson as the next system president and flagship chancellor, they won’t have to wait long for details on his plan for progress.

Dr. Toldson, a Baton Rouge native and one of three finalists for the position, presented his outline for systemwide improvements today in a Facebook post titled, “My Strategic Vision for Southern University.”

http://hbcudigest.com/post/120897608281/ivory-toldson-plan-for-southern

Southern Presidential Finalist Lays Out Plan for Progress

If Southern University supervisors name White House HBCU Initiative Deputy Director Ivory Toldson as the next system president and flagship chancellor, they won’t have to wait long for details on his plan for progress.

Dr. Toldson, a Baton Rouge native and one of three finalists for the position, presented his outline for systemwide improvements today in a Facebook post titled, “My Strategic Vision for Southern University.”

http://hbcudigest.com/post/120897608281/ivory-toldson-plan-for-southern

Before reading that I wasn't sure he was ready for the SU job. After reading it I'm even less sure. Some red flags in there.

Lol. You are not alone on that thinking 99. I think people see high risk, high reward with Dr. Toldson at this point. That board will baptize him in the fire right away if he gets it, if he can survive that, learn the lessons and keep pursuing his vision, he should be okay. Fundraising won't be a problem for him.

Truth is that Ivory should have been running the HBCU office but some of the old guard opposed him being the top guy because his lack of a HBCU pedigree.

The old guard (anywhere) opposes anyone with youth and fresh ideas. They don't care about him not being an HBCU grad. This is about politics, greed and old people getting what they want.

It always is.

Back