SU Fires Men's Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR said:
...... Didn't you say Football and Basketball are the main programs? Well our bb is not up to par with the Football program and changes need to made. Being 500 aint good enough at SU. Sorry.

plus we have that big empty mini dome. I remember the SU/GSU game in 89 when I moved back to La. It was right after Christmas on a Saturday night. "Standing room only." Basketball should pay for itself.

Lewis said:
Ladies Softball Coach == Nancy Marshall (former Lady Jag Basketball Player)
thanks Lewis, I couldn't remember her name. She has done a helluva job with the team though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR said:
Yep it shole is. Unlike JSU we don't stand for BS. We take care of it. I actually got a few calls from some JSU alums wishing your school would be as proactive as SU was in dealing with some crap. But I guess yall like having a substandard coach run your program or one who belittles the folks who support the school like Bell has done. At SU we don't play that. It's tuff on the bluff.

I expected a remark like that from you. SMH and :lmao: @ the same time.

It's only an opinion that Bell is substandard.

JR,
Do you really think 2 years is enough time to turn a program around that hasn't won in a while?

If the new coach doesnt win in 2 years, will you want to get rid of him too?

Sorry, but a revolving door like that will make it hard to build a winning program.

btw, was SU playing better or worse under Grant?

mighty hornet said:
JR,
Do you really think 2 years is enough time to turn a program around that hasn't won in a while?

Sorry, but a revolving door like that will make it hard to build a winning program.

MH, believe me I don't like a revolving door either. Nobody does. Like I said earlier I was a Grant supporter until late in the season. I am not even mad he interviewed at YSU. It is just the way he has been conducting himself the last 6 months is what is puzzling to me.

Now I would hope that SU thoroughly interviews the candidates for the job and get the right fit. Someone who truly wants to be here and not looking at this as a quick stop. Because you are right, 2 years may not be enough to rebuild a program. But remember he was looking to leave after 2 years himself. So what if he had been hired by YSU then we would be still in the same boat we are now.

SU was playing better overall with Grant than with Jobe. He also had more talent than Jobe had as well. We still seemed to melt down for the second consecutive season in crucial games. That's got to be coaching. Can't blame the kids for everything. Even though they have to execute. But they do when they are well coached. Bama State and AAMU have well coached teams and win games that they need to. SU didn't. Like DaHill said, it wasn't like SU did not have talent as far as SWAC play is concerned.

Tigerpride said:
It's only an opinion that Bell is substandard.

Hey MH,
Did you read what TP just posted up there? ^^^^^

All I can do is :lmao:

JR said:
Hey MH,
Did you read what TP just posted up there? ^^^^^

All I can do is :lmao:
Yeah, I saw it. :smh:
But you have to overlook any of TP's comments about his hero Bell.

actually in some cases, 2 years may be too long to let a coach hang around.
:snicker:

as for Grant, he may have been wrong for publicly campaigning for the other job, but was that enough to fire him? :confused:

Since November 27, 2004 (the infamous Saturday after Thanksgiving)
  • Pete suckered the Board for $200K after hinting about the Icon position
  • The Cat died
  • President Tarver resigns
  • Doc (well I will leave this alone)
  • Grant is fired
The Icon Effect is like Hurricane Andrew.

JR, did you post something about a revolving door? Remember SU's Empire State Building-like revolving door of 80s?

Reincarnation. A.D. 2006

mighty hornet said:
Yeah, I saw it. :smh:
But you have to overlook any of TP's comments about his hero Bell.

actually in some cases, 2 years may be too long to let a coach hang around.
:snicker:

as for Grant, he may have been wrong for publicly campaigning for the other job, but was that enough to fire him? :confused:

Yeah in some cases some coaches shouldn't be hired. ~snicker~

MH,

Grant demise is more than the YSU thing. It just made the school see what the kids had been complaining about. He used to media to slam the players all the time. The team did not do as well as it should have this year due to coaching. So there are substantial reasons to let him. Some folks wanted him gone before the YSU fiasco. All he did was give them more ammo. Not to mention he may have been steering potential recruits to YSU from SU. That's a no-no. Aint ethical. Roy Williams called every kid he was recruiting to Kansas and told them to go on to Kansas and he would not be recruiting them to NC when he took the job. That's the honorable thing to do. If Grant was already secretly recruiting kids and telling them he was going to possibly be a YSU and that' s where you should come then he was wrong for that. Because he was still on the SU payroll and should have been securing players for SU only. Hell he hadn't even gotten the job at YSU yet. So as an employer I would be pissed too especially if it came out publically like this did.
The last thing is this. Grant knew that SU was letting Kerr go and had a new Board coming in. So he should have been as discreet as possible not to upset the apple cart. So in one sense he got fired for being plain old dumb. Me or you wouldn't have operated like that. TP might have. But not us. :swink:

GSUperTiger said:
  • The Cat died
  • Grant is fired

JR, did you post something about a revolving door? Remember SU's Empire State Building-like revolving door of 80s?

Reincarnation. A.D. 2006

Uh Supe, GSU is still our bit@h. Enough said. :slap:

LOL...you were the main one criticizing him for getting those players...QUOTE]

yeah I did but hell, he was winning despite never building a foundation. It's simply amazing you all care about the program when none of you all won't even take time to watch a game. I can name the number of times of my hand yall even knew what yall were talking about.

Grant knew how to play the "game" off and on the court, took the WORST program in D-1 2 years ago and made them competitive and he gets run off for job opportunities. You made the man fire his assistant, slick him into building a new house and now he has nothing.

damn....the standards at SU are sure high :rolleyes:

Pete Richardson publicly campainged he was seeking other opportunities (one was at Grambling State for heaven sakes) and gets a $80,000 raise.... :slap:

bottom line...you never wanted him (backroom deal killed Valdery) and you hated on Rusty.

the band fan said:

yeah I did but hell, he was winning despite never building a foundation. It's simply amazing you all care about the program when none of you all won't even take time to watch a game. I can name the number of times of my hand yall even knew what yall were talking about.

Grant knew how to play the "game" off and on the court, took the WORST program in D-1 2 years ago and made them competitive and he gets run off for job opportunities. You made the man fire his assistant, slick him into building a new house and now he has nothing.

Pete Richardson publicly campainged he was seeking other opportunities (one was at Grambling State for heaven sakes) and gets a $80,000 raise.... :slap:

bottom line...you never wanted him (backroom deal killed Valdery) and you hated on Rusty.

Uh TBF, Pete has something Grant doesn't. Championships. Also he won right away at that. So Pete had a lot more leverage than Grant. But don't get it twisted Pete did not get the 5 year deal he wanted either. He had to compromise and SU had to compromise and they got it done. Pete also has a fan base and coaches the most revenue making sport. Can't compare what Pete can do versus Grant.

Rusty did his ownself in. No one hated on him. But he knew the politics.

I'll answer those questions for you MH.

Yes, if the program is SU. Jobe did not leave the program without talent. Off the top of my head, Cipriano and Scott and England were there from Jobe. If I am not mistake, Saunders and Collier were also on campus. The only major contributor this year that Grant bought in was Alexander. The talent was already here.

Probably, but if he aint winning he better keep his mouth shut. We definately ain't putting up with a loser that talks like Grant was talking. You better win some championships first, then talk (See Pete)

Not really, but it is worst to keep riding a loser.

About the same if you ask me, minus 1 big factor.

GSUperTiger said:
  • The Cat died
  • Grant is fired

Reincarnation. A.D. 2006

You know a mind is a terrible thing to waste....

Its too late in your case...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:

much higher than at your school.

Atkins, who?s ending a 20-year tenure as the school?s head women?s basketball coach, compiled a 138-423 record. ..............
The highlight of Atkins? tenure was in 1999-2000 when the Lady Panthers advanced to the SWAC tournament semi-finals for the first time in school history. His best season was 2000-01, when the Lady Panthers finished 13-15 overall, 10-8 in conference play.

Jax1906 said:
You know a mind is a terrible thing to waste....

Its too late in your case...

That is why sometimes I call him GStupid. :lol: Don't get it twisted though, the boy is "bright." Like most evil geniuses, sometimes they lack common sense. :lol:

We will just have to "tap gram's azz" this fall and he will go back in exile. :lol: (He should have been the Ace of Spades on America's most wanted list) :lol:

:lmao:

BgJag said:
the band fan said:
much higher than at your school.

Atkins, who?s ending a 20-year tenure as the school?s head women?s basketball coach, compiled a 138-423 record. ..............
The highlight of Atkins? tenure was in 1999-2000 when the Lady Panthers advanced to the SWAC tournament semi-finals for the first time in school history. His best season was 2000-01, when the Lady Panthers finished 13-15 overall, 10-8 in conference play.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:lmao:

and he went out gracefully...while teachiing and no scholarships..........

Pete asks about GSU publicly and gets a raise..go figure

the band fan said:
and he went out gracefully...while teachiing and no scholarships..........

Pete asks about GSU publicly and gets a raise..go figure

Please stop acting like p.v. can afford Dean Pete. What does your stadiums seat.....6500. :lol:

the band fan said:
I can getthe same for $100,000 less......ask Charlie Cow

Dude, Charlie Coe won at Bama State with LC players. So ASU is smart not to pay him big money until he recruits his own and win. Notice we did not reward Pete for winning with Eric Randall and company since he inherited them, but when he went on the 3 in a row SWAC title run with his own players he had earned it. Then of course taking us to the SCG back to back winning one with teams considered by the rest of yall on this board as not talented. So of course he can spout off and get his. Pete has earned his right to talk some isht and leverage his position, so has coach Cador and Sandy Pugh. Grant has not. See the difference............of course you do. They all won titles and Grant has not even gotten us to 500 ball.

BTW, you can't get a coach of Pete's caliber for less than 100K. While I applaud Coach Coe for winning at ASU, he still has to show folks he can win with his own players. I am sure he is about to get a raise as well. Now that he has won a title.

the band fan said:
I can getthe same for $100,000 less......ask Charlie Cow

Please. You always gotta stick your nose in SU business. We don't settle for less than the best. You're acting like Grant was the best thing since sliced bread. The fact of the matter is he was below .500, he ripped players constantly, he had no respect from players, he has no social skills, and isn't loyal. We don't want him, don't need him. TBF you need to go and get on P.V. for being the shame of HBCU athletics and stop being mad at SU. You're the one that went from Sugar to shat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back