Status
Not open for further replies.

kellis

SU Jags!!!
Southern University fires men?s basketball coach

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Southern University on Wednesday fired second-year men?s basketball coach Michael Grant.
Grant received official notice in a letter at 2 p.m. Wednesday that, according to the letter, he was being temporarily placed in the position of assistant athletic director.

The letter calls for Grant, who has one year left on a three-year contract, to be let go on May 15.

Grant Fired

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wow! this is a helluva story! I'm very surprised about this taking place. I thought he was doing a pretty good job and had some potential to take the basketball program to higher levels. Apparantly he must have made some head-turning comments about SU when he was being interviewed after being looked over for the Youngstown State job. What exactly did he say? SU fans, enlighten a brother...

dumb decision if you ask me.... He is bringing in potential talent... Did SU expect a perfect season after back to back 20 loss seasons.... Grant wasnt given a fair shake IMO... SU had a NICE team this year.... There was too much pressure on him to win immediately that he had to bring in JUCO talent... It is hard to COMPLETELY turn a program around in 2 years. SU was moving in the right direction.

BNGguy said:
Wow! this is a helluva story! I'm very surprised about this taking place. I thought he was doing a pretty good job and had some potential to take the basketball program to higher levels. Apparantly he must have made some head-turning comments about SU when he was being interviewed after being looked over for the Youngstown State job. What exactly did he say? SU fans, enlighten a brother...

To make a long story short, Grant said he would leave SU in heartbeat to go to one of the worst programs in Div I, Youngstown. He did not display any loyalty to SU and was ready to leave after only 2 years. It's not like he was interviewing for North Carolin or Duke... YSU was ranked lower than most SWAC schools.

Grant does not see a future in SWAC basketball. At this point in his life, he thinks he can do better than coaching at a SWAC school. SU wants a coach that is willing to be in the SWAC for a few years at least.

This move should allow him to pursue any other Div I conference in the country.

It should be clearly understood here that SU does not have a problem with any coach trying to better his personal situation by interviewing for other positions while in SU's employ. But Grant's spoken words to the Ohio media is what got him in trouble. He should have just interviewed for the job and kept his mouth closed. Many in the SU family were disturbed by his comments including many of his basketball players.

I am sure SU made this decision with all of the ramifications in mind of the potential harmful effects it could have on the basketball program. And in spite of those ramifications, it still chose to proceed in the direction it has taken, and I stand by its decision.

kellis said:
Southern University fires men’s basketball coach

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Southern University on Wednesday fired second-year men’s basketball coach Michael Grant.
Grant received official notice in a letter at 2 p.m. Wednesday that, according to the letter, he was being temporarily placed in the position of assistant athletic director.

The letter calls for Grant, who has one year left on a three-year contract, to be let go on May 15.

Grant Fired

:|

no comment... :shh:

Earle said:
It should be clearly understood here that SU does not have a problem with any coach trying to better his personal situation by interviewing for other positions while in SU's employ. But Grant's spoken words to the Ohio media is what got him in trouble. He should have just interviewed for the job and kept his mouth closed. Many in the SU family were disturbed by his comments including many of his basketball players.

That's basically what it came down to here. You can show interest in another job without pissing on the one you currently have. When you make the types of comments he made about what is basically a lateral move, you seal your own fate.

DAHILL said:
dumb decision if you ask me.... He is bringing in potential talent... Did SU expect a perfect season after back to back 20 loss seasons.... Grant wasnt given a fair shake IMO... SU had a NICE team this year.... There was too much pressure on him to win immediately that he had to bring in JUCO talent... It is hard to COMPLETELY turn a program around in 2 years. SU was moving in the right direction.
Ur on the outside looking in...`i`m on the inside.....I`m glad he`s gone..........NO,,I`M HAPPY HE`S GONE... :tup: :lmao:

thegooddoctor said:
His career has probably been ruined. First lesson in life, never comment to the press.

Um...naw...that's not the first lesson in life....

First lesson in life: Think before you open your mouth...never know what gets back to people...

Journalist said:
Um...naw...that's not the first lesson in life....

First lesson in life: Think before you open your mouth...never know what gets back to people...

CORRECT!!!1

If you have a job alrready coaching don't go blasting about how you really want this job and you still have the current job. I told someone else su would fire him. I can't blame them at all. NO LOYALTY WHATSOEVER !!!!!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MightyDog said:
If the Pope was alive this would not be happening in a Catholic State.

However, Grant will be back next year, because SU cannot afford to buy out the AD and Basketball coach Salaries at the same time.

Where is Mighty Dog?:wavey:

I know that I'm an outsider of this issue but as a supporter of SWAC athletics, it is not good for someone who is a part of the latter to go out of their way to make comments that belittle the program or organization that they're a part of. If I were a player or a SU alumnus, I'd be appaled too. It sends me the message that if you go out in public and make negative comments about an organization that you're a part of at the present time no matter how lighthearted they may be, you have drawn the line. You are showing a sense of disloyalty. I know that problems exist everywhere and if you're going to have any disdain with certain situations, share them with people you confide in and trust but don't go out in public with critical comments like that. I've met Grant and I thought well of him but this is a professional flaw that found him with with a foot in his mouth. :smh:

Tigerpride said:
This is so SU.

First Tom Joyner, now Grant. :(

Yep it shole is. Unlike JSU we don't stand for BS. We take care of it. I actually got a few calls from some JSU alums wishing your school would be as proactive as SU was in dealing with some crap. But I guess yall like having a substandard coach run your program or one who belittles the folks who support the school like Bell has done. At SU we don't play that. It's tuff on the bluff.

I expected a remark like that from you. SMH and :lmao: @ the same time.

They better have more just "cause" than what one is lead to believe by the newspaper article, that is if they do not want to pay Grant his base salary otherwise they can just reassign him per the contract.

It's a few things, but after what he said this time, that was it. There were othe r issues.

He dissed us for a school with a RPI ranking of 323 out of 330 D1 Schools and a 3-23 record (Southern's RPI is 269). It wasn't lateral, it was a move backward.

Da Hill, we may be arrogant, but as far as I am concerned, any halfway descent coach (even a high school coach) should be able to come to Southern and with the resources we have and be middle of the pack in the SWAC.

Jafus, we have payed them before to get rid of them.

Lewis said:
It's a few things, but after what he said this time, that was it. There were othe r issues.

He dissed us for a school with a RPI ranking of 323 out of 330 D1 Schools and a 3-23 record (Southern's RPI is 269). It wasn't lateral, it was a move backward.

Da Hill, we may be arrogant, but as far as I am concerned, any halfway descent coach (even a high school coach) should be able to come to Southern and with the resources we have and be middle of the pack in the SWAC.

Co-Sign. This aint the first time we have had to pay off a coach or reassign him. From what I hear, the Youngstown thing just push his demise up a year. After the way he treated the team after the SWAC tourney and some of the things some players have said about him gives me the impression that he will not be missed. Almost sounded like he had a Matt Doherty complex with his players and we all saw what that got Matt at NC after the players complained. So basically Grant who had improved the team lacked the people skills and professionalism you need to survive. Interviewing for the YSU job was not the issue. He had permission. It was the way he begged for the job in the media up there. The only folks he should have told "I want this job" was the people interviewing him, not the media. I bet one of the reasons the YSU people passed on him is because of that. They probably said, hell if he'll do that to one school, he'll do that to us. They went and hired a D-2 coach. Who by the way didn't diss his D-2 program and beg for the job publicly. Grant wanted out and now he gets his wish. Be careful what you ask for. :nod2:

What did he say that was so bad? I hope it wasn't just this:

Tony Clayton, a member of the Southern board of supervisors, took exception to Grant's remark to the Ohio media that, if hired, he would use Youngstown State's two available scholarships to sign junior college players.

"That's the part that disturbs me more than anything," Clayton said at the time. "We paid for him to recruit for Southern."

Lewis said:

Not only that, but he has be "re-assigned." S.U. never make moves without legal cousel. Also, I am sure that there are stipulations in the contract to protect S.U. in this event. Thus far, S.U. has been very strong in this area.

Lewis said:
ummm, it may be a "move backward" to you, but maybe not to him.

If Grant was fired because he pursued that job at YSU, then, IMO, SU was wrong to fire him

as for all these comments about how SU does things and "don't play that", I can only ask where was this high-horse type thinking when SU was floundering before Grant got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back