State of SWAC Basketball

Mr. Tiger said:
I just don't believe the promoters are walking away with most of the profits from these games. If they are, then our schools are awful foolish for playing in them.

Without being specific about any SWAC schools or any specific 'Classic', check out this REALISTIC scenario>

The 'SWACPage' Classic is organized and pits two SWAC teams against each other on a nuetral site. Each SWAC schools gets a $150,000.00 guarantee (2 x 150,000 = 300,000.) The Classic also picks up the travel expenses for both teams and the bands and the 'official University travelling party (roughly 60,000. total). And let's say the Classic draws 55,000 at $22.00 a ticket (general admission).

55,000 x $22.00 = $1,210,000.00 gross ticket revenue
2 x $150,000.00 = $300,000.00 in guarantee payouts
2 x $30,000.00 = $60,000.00 in travel expenses for both schools

1,210,000. - 300,000. - 60,000. = $850,000.00 left for the Promoter to pay his expenses and make his profit.....

$850,000.00 of OUR dollars in somebody else's pocket....

:shame:

Mr. Tiger said:
I just don't believe the promoters are walking away with most of the profits from these games. If they are, then our schools are awful foolish for playing in them. I believe we are indeed making money on football and using that football money to fund the other sports. That's the problem. The football money is not being pumped into improving our football programs and our school adminstrators are using football revenue so that they won't have to allocate much money to the other sports. Meaning, basketball programs have to play those non-conference money games to make up the difference. So without the football revenue our schools would be really hurting.

It works that way at pretty much all schools. Revenue generating sports (generally football and basketball) are used to help support non-revenue generating sports (such as cross-country and golf). This is not just an exception for SWAC schools, the problem is that it's just not enough money to go around to all the sports. There's a reason most athletic departments lose money every year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was looking at the news last nite, and i saw that the university of Houston played Centnary College in Shreveport. my question is why can't we get anyteam at our campuses.

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Without being specific about any SWAC schools or any specific 'Classic', check out this REALISTIC scenario>

The 'SWACPage' Classic is organized and pits two SWAC teams against each other on a nuetral site. Each SWAC schools gets a $150,000.00 guarantee (2 x 150,000 = 300,000.) The Classic also picks up the travel expenses for both teams and the bands and the 'official University travelling party (roughly 60,000. total). And let's say the Classic draws 55,000 at $22.00 a ticket (general admission).

1,210,000. - 300,000. - 60,000. = $850,000.00 left for the Promoter to pay his expenses and make his profit.....

I know you were using these figures as an example...but
When you assume 100% of the risk you should retain the majority of the profit. Besides you left out things like stadium rental, insurance, event staffing, security etc. that are all the responsibility of the promoter. Those figures are based on best case scenero. What if only 22,000 show up or if it rains and 10K show up. Do the schools expect to get paid...yes.

Taylor-Made'90 said:

You did leave out stadium rental, insurance, event staffing, and security so the promoter's profit isn't as large as $850,000. And I know Jackson State received over $200,000 for both its classics this year according to the local newspaper. I would love to know the actual average a promoter takes home. But I can see your point on the major classics that draw over 50,000 fans every year. I have wondered in the past whether a promoter is needed for well-established games.

CHEROKEE said:
It is all about the money. We get our ass torn up so the major schools can have exhibition games throughout the holidays getting them prepare for their conferences races. We get the money, losing records, lowest conferences. Well I say this is all bull****. lets play more mid-majors. more meac, siac etc.. The hell with USC, New Mexico, Kentucky, Duke, LSU. later:cry:

I concur, I say downgrade the schedule and get some wins. Its not like us playing those big school will approve our RPI and get us an at-large bid into the tournament. To get in the tournament we will still have to win the SWAC tournament so I say downgrade the schedule and improve your record.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
Like I was telling Noise Talka, don't let Valley's 1-9 record fool you. Them boys are playing defense this year, and when you play defense you will be in any game no matter if ur shooting well or not.

TRUE THAT!! I FOLLOWED THE BRAVES IN NOV, DEC. AND THEY WON'T BE NO PUSH OVER EITHER. ASK USC, NEW MEXICO, OLE MISS, ARIZONA STATE. HELL WE WHERE UP BY 7 ON ASU LATE IN THE 2ND HALF. I LISTEN TO THE OLE MISS GAME AND ROD BARNES SAID THIS IS THE BEST 0-8 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. BUT WE WILL SEE. THE GOOD THING IS THAT WE ARE 1-0 FOR NOW AND LOOKING TO GO 2-0 BEFORE WE LEAVE TEXAS. LOOKOUT FOR JSU ALSO. THEY ARE GOOD.

bluedog said:
some of you are a freakin tripp :rolleyes:
I think is Micheal Grant was still the coach SU would have lost to Oklahoma by 24+. I was listening to the TSU game yesterday, and Chris Powells was saying when Chris Alexander shot the long NBA 3, and missed Mr. Rob was fussing, and I think this was a good move (sorry Bama St) because I see SU is doing good, and got a conference road sweep since Feb of 2000. I think the momemtum will shift over a little bit, and I am looking forward to seeing SU get a winning season, and a spot in the tournament, along with the finals! :jump:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Don't know , but we didn't like him.:lol:
:lol: I see SU is number 2 for right now, but wait until J-State comes Monday!!! :jump: :jump:!!!! I'll be their for the women's tip off also. 5:00 P.M!

Back