State of SWAC Basketball

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm upset that you said the "state" like this is something new. JSU, for example played Memphis, TCU, Oklahoma State and Alabama non-conference.... It is nothing new for SWAC teams to enter SWAC season with losing records...

As a matter of fact... as a conference I think we are fairing better against non-conference competition than we have in years.

NOISE TALKA said:
As a matter of fact... as a conference I think we are fairing better against non-conference competition than we have in years.

I've made that observation...........

NOISE TALKA said:
I'm upset that you said the "state" like this is something new. JSU, for example played Memphis, TCU, Oklahoma State and Alabama non-conference.... It is nothing new for SWAC teams to enter SWAC season with losing records...

Cosign!

NOISE TALKA said:

I agree, most swac teams are no longer playing the cupcake schedules to inflate their record. Although the overall talent level may be down ( compared to the 70's, 80's ) the coaching and level of play has improved tremendously(men and women). However, I would like to see the tournament moved to central location.
Perhaps Jackson Miss., Baton Rouge.

Have a Blessed Day....

NOISE TALKA said:

True all SWAC schools for awhile have come in with losing records, some worst than other but still losing. Lot SWAC schools have played some real good programs close.

Yeah just like Valley State. We ask why we play these bigger programs and have a losing record in the end. It is suppose to make them better before conference play begin, and to prpare them for March madness. Valley will be a good team this year. They have a good defensive mind.

It has become quite obvious to me that our schools are not pumping enough money into basketball. That means our schools have to continue going on the road to get hammered for pay days. In the end, it gives our schools more money and leaves us with a bunch of 2-8 and 0-9 records and a one-way ticket to the NCAA play-in game. And it gives people the impression that teams like Valley and Alcorn are horrible. Alcorn started off with 10 road games :smh: , how could they win.

DaGSUMan said:
It is a shame that every team in the SWAC has a loosing record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/standings

It is all about the money. We get our ass torn up so the major schools can have exhibition games throughout the holidays getting them prepare for their conferences races. We get the money, losing records, lowest conferences. Well I say this is all bull****. lets play more mid-majors. more meac, siac etc.. The hell with USC, New Mexico, Kentucky, Duke, LSU. later:cry:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
GJOHN said:
What will it take to improve attendant at these SWAC Basketball games?:shame:

Excitement and promotion. Some students don't even know who some of the teams are that we play because they are not promoted. Put up signs or something.

On a side note: Jackson State had 2,708 last night at their SWAC opener against AAMU. They've also led the SWAC for the past 2 years in attendance. We've got to do better. Maybe if we start selling out our arenas, then we wouldn't hurt "that" bad for money games.

I remember reading where they say Mr. Rob will get a 1,000 salary bonus every game for which 4,000 or more people attend the game. Come on Jag Nation, and lets see Rolanda Monroe possibly break the scoring mark Friday. I think they time change will be an effect to increase the attendance also. :tup:

CHEROKEE said:
It is all about the money. We get our ass torn up so the major schools can have exhibition games throughout the holidays getting them prepare for their conferences races. We get the money, losing records, lowest conferences. Well I say this is all bull****. lets play more mid-majors. more meac, siac etc.. The hell with USC, New Mexico, Kentucky, Duke, LSU. later:cry:

In a perfect world, that would be great, but you said yourself "It is all about money."

Let's face it- without those money games, some of us would have to cancel Volleyball, Softball, Track and Golf seasons. We need those games to support our other athletic interests. Until we can find a way to pack our arenas in Nov. (in the thick of football season), we have to settle for the bludgeonings we've become accustomed to.

And that seems unlikely, being that most of us are in markets where it's hard to draw large attendance numbers.

Clarksdale_Wildcat said:
On a side note: Jackson State had 2,708 last night at their SWAC opener against AAMU. They've also led the SWAC for the past 2 years in attendance. We've got to do better. Maybe if we start selling out our arenas, then we wouldn't hurt "that" bad for money games.

that's the answer. there are very few programs in basketball that would have winning records if they had to play some of these swac preconference schedules. at florida, at bama, at tn, vandy, txa&m. no home games. it's near impossible to win with those type of schedules. so we get pimped for the cash. but the question is why? if we generate more revenue from football than the other mid-major conferences and they have enough cash that they don't have to go out and get pimped, why do we have to do it? why are we so broke that it's necessary to do this?

as well, there is no reason attendance at just about every game should be at least 4k. i mean how hard can it be to sell 2500 season tickets and get 1500 students to each home game. that should be ridiculously easy. but I guess we don't even try. I mean, I think I could sell some tickets to see students take chemistry exams. come on.

Like I was telling Noise Talka, don't let Valley's 1-9 record fool you. Them boys are playing defense this year, and when you play defense you will be in any game no matter if ur shooting well or not.

GJOHN said:
What will it take to improve attendant at these SWAC Basketball games?:shame:

The games that started this week are at a disadvantage since most schools have not even started classes yet. There are no students or people around to attend them. With the exception of the schools that are in non-rural cities, attendance will be a problem.

Why do the Swac make teams play their rival school so early in the season. PV and TSU play their game this saturday even before school start for both teams. This game use to always be at the mid point and last game of the season. Both gyms would be packed with fans to see it. Now they got them playing at the beginning and middle of the season. Whoever has the mid season game will get the fans and the other is left out.

major095 said:
that's the answer. there are very few programs in basketball that would have winning records if they had to play some of these swac preconference schedules. at florida, at bama, at tn, vandy, txa&m. no home games. it's near impossible to win with those type of schedules. so we get pimped for the cash. but the question is why? if we generate more revenue from football than the other mid-major conferences and they have enough cash that they don't have to go out and get pimped, why do we have to do it? why are we so broke that it's necessary to do this?

While I understand and agree with your question, the reality is we don't make that much money off of football. When you go to Memphis and see JSU and TennState pack the Liberty Bowl, the schools aren't getting that money, the promoter (Fred Jones) is. When you go to Birmingham and see ASU and AAMU pack Legion field, the promoter is making the money. And when SU and GSU play in the Bayou, the Superdome and hotels get the money, not the schools. So, we really aren't realizing all the revenue we could make because of all of these 'Classics'. That's why I love to see us pack each other's stadiums during SWAC play. I love seeing Valley's stadium packed when JSU comes to town. Valley's making all the money. And when we pack Jack Spinks, and the Moon Crater (at Grambling).

The sooner we get away from these Classics and start controlling our own revenues, the better off we'll be.

Taylor-Made'90 said:
While I understand and agree with your question, the reality is we don't make that much money off of football. When you go to Memphis and see JSU and TennState pack the Liberty Bowl, the schools aren't getting that money, the promoter (Fred Jones) is. When you go to Birmingham and see ASU and AAMU pack Legion field, the promoter is making the money. And when SU and GSU play in the Bayou, the Superdome and hotels get the money, not the schools. So, we really aren't realizing all the revenue we could make because of all of these 'Classics'. That's why I love to see us pack each other's stadiums during SWAC play. I love seeing Valley's stadium packed when JSU comes to town. Valley's making all the money. And when we pack Jack Spinks, and the Moon Crater (at Grambling).

The sooner we get away from these Classics and start controlling our own revenues, the better off we'll be.

True.

Taylor-Made'90 said:

I just don't believe the promoters are walking away with most of the profits from these games. If they are, then our schools are awful foolish for playing in them. I believe we are indeed making money on football and using that football money to fund the other sports. That's the problem. The football money is not being pumped into improving our football programs and our school adminstrators are using football revenue so that they won't have to allocate much money to the other sports. Meaning, basketball programs have to play those non-conference money games to make up the difference. So without the football revenue our schools would be really hurting.

Back